Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Coupe owner

First port of call for new members
Silverzedtom

New Coupe owner

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Looks great :thumbsup:

The wing mirror glass will 100% fall off very soon if you don’t pull it off and glue it on with something decent. They only get a tiny blob in the factory, Ive done both of mine now. Somehow one of mine fell onto the tarmac at 30 odd mph and survived...

What are you thinking with the audio? I’m also looking to do something with mine.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

BobbyB

New Coupe owner

Post by BobbyB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Beautiful car there, looks awesome as it is now. love the grey colour. I have a titanium silver Coupe and kinda wished I'd gone grey. Wheels look great in matching grey too. Stubby is a Peugeot part though mine was already done when I got it so couldn't say which. The lines on the coupe stand the test of time. I find the new Jag F-type not too disimmilar. Anyway, I'm rambling, welcome on board!
3.0si Coupe, Titanium Silver, manual, nearly all of the trimmings.

gerryp

New Coupe owner

Post by gerryp » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi and welcome.
Great looking car.

tee.gilding

New Coupe owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm Glad you finally found one OP - and it looks great. :thumbsup:

It may not be as basic as you think! Z4s didn't get a lot of features that were standard on even 1 and 3 series models, like those optional rear parking sensors I can see in one of your photos! :lol:

Mine had the sluggish starter motor you've mentioned when I got it - when I had it serviced my BMW Indy said it can be the starter motor, but mine needed a new battery last December and it's been much better since then (thankfully). My Indy supplied and fitted an OEM battery for £90 + VAT (he says they are Exide - well the cars were built in the USA).

I'm not sure about the wing mirror - I think the glass is a push fit so maybe one of the clips has broken?

Not sure why you'd want a stubby. :roll: My radio works much better since I went back to a whippy! But if you still want one I've got one of the Peugeot/Citroen ones I'll post to you if you pm me with your name and address.

When you mention 19s and decent rubber I hope that means non-runflats!

Here's a photo of mine with the stubby on it:-
I know what you mean by the options, but even still it was a pretty basic spec. However, I kind of like that: I get to focus more on the driving and less on the gadgets!
19s and proper rubber. I think I've found the right wheels, just need to find the right tyres next.
How badly does the stubby affect radio reception??
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

tee.gilding

New Coupe owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm The wing mirror glass will 100% fall off very soon if you don’t pull it off and glue it on with something decent. They only get a tiny blob in the factory, Ive done both of mine now. Somehow one of mine fell onto the tarmac at 30 odd mph and survived...

What are you thinking with the audio? I’m also looking to do something with mine.
I'll have to get the glass sorted asap then. Can I use double-sided tape or is glue the only way?
In regards to audio, I'm thinking of starting with a head unit upgrade, and then I'll look to adding a set of subs behind the seats. Not sure though, might replace all the speakers with better quality ones as well.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Silverzedtom

New Coupe owner

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am

tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am
Silverzedtom wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm The wing mirror glass will 100% fall off very soon if you don’t pull it off and glue it on with something decent. They only get a tiny blob in the factory, Ive done both of mine now. Somehow one of mine fell onto the tarmac at 30 odd mph and survived...

I'll have to get the glass sorted asap then. Can I use double-sided tape or is glue the only way?
In regards to audio, I'm thinking of starting with a head unit upgrade, and then I'll look to adding a set of subs behind the seats. Not sure though, might replace all the speakers with better quality ones as well.
Sounds good - you’ll have to let us all know what you end up doing...

I think tape would end up looking a bit naff as the glass sits inside a very small lip around the edge of the backing. I used gorilla glue extra strong and clamped lightly over night. One of them has been on for around a year and still feels rock solid. I’m not sure how well it would heat with tape as well.

The mirrors are heated whenever the car is on which won’t have helped the original glue over time. You could always pull a fuse to stop them coming on over the summer months.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

tee.gilding

New Coupe owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am
I think tape would end up looking a bit naff as the glass sits inside a very small lip around the edge of the backing. I used gorilla glue extra strong and clamped lightly over night. One of them has been on for around a year and still feels rock solid. I’m not sure how well it would heat with tape as well.

The mirrors are heated whenever the car is on which won’t have helped the original glue over time. You could always pull a fuse to stop them coming on over the summer months.
How do you get the glass off?

Flyingfifer

New Coupe owner

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum always good to have another member of the Executive Coupe Club :P

Get that wippy off :rofl:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Flyingfifer

New Coupe owner

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:18 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:38 am The passenger side wing mirror glass is loose - is that an easy fix?
This has happened to both my mirrors (possibly due to the heating element weakening the glue) the mirror itself is mounted on a heating element which is in turn mounted to a plastic plate with a twist fit/lock mechanism. If you aim the mirror to the lowest outside point you should be able to get a flat head screw driver in at the top of the mirror to slide open the lock, this will turn and the plate will come loose easily. Personally I have used superglue to secure the glass to the heating element and it worked a charm. If you leave it too long the glass will fall out, if this happens a stealer will charge you crazy money for a new mirror (they only sell the whole thing, mirror, heating element, mounting plate) If memory serves its about £60 :thumbsdown:

I ordered a replacement mirror, with element and mounting plate however its a replica so its not perfect and its a push lock rather than a rotary lock so getting it back off will be a nightmare :cry:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

tee.gilding

New Coupe owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

@Flyingfifer thanks I'll give that a go. I'd rather not have it come off! Survived the drive from Wales back home, wobbling all the way back. Glad it didn't fall off and disappear somewhere on the A34!

And yes the whippy will be removed. I've been informed they're not actually required for FM radio, only AM. If this is true, I may try work out a way to a delete...

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New Coupe owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm And yes the whippy will be removed. I've been informed they're not actually required for FM radio, only AM. If this is true, I may try work out a way to a delete...
Yes, I had read that too but mine still gets better FM reception with the whippy than the stubby!

Maybe just take the whippy off and see what reception you get with no aerial first.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Attilio

New Coupe owner

Post by Attilio » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Welcome to the fraternity of Z4s with a proper roof :wink:

Very nice car, congratulations! :thumbsup: :driving:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

tee.gilding

New Coupe owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

So it turns out the wing mirror glass had been stuck on with blutack! Wtf?!

Do I glue the glass back onto the black pad that's in behind it? Will 5-minute epoxy be too harsh??

z4pilot

New Coupe owner

Post by z4pilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Yes - that's the heating pad. I used some glue that advertised itself as temperature resistant when I did mine. I packed some cardboard onto the glass and used masking tape to keep the pressure on whilst it dried overnight. Not had any issues since.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

New Coupe owner

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

z4pilot wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 pm Yes - that's the heating pad. I used some glue that advertised itself as temperature resistant when I did mine. I packed some cardboard onto the glass and used masking tape to keep the pressure on whilst it dried overnight. Not had any issues since.
Or you can apply the adhesive & fold the unit in / up so the mirror won't fall out :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo