Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello!

First port of call for new members
KimAkins

Hello!

Post by KimAkins » Mon May 21, 2018 10:15 pm

For several years I have been wanting a roadster- I started shopping more seriously in January and after much research, and test drives, we decided, though the specs for legroom are pretty close for any roadster, BMW was by far the most comfortable for my 6 foot husband.
We first test drove a 2004 that we loved but it wasn't treated well and lacked the bells and whistles I have become accustomed to. The more research we did, the more I wanted. Hard top? Yes! Red Leather interior? yes! Navigation? Yes! I gave up on a manual transmission but I can be a lazy driver so I'm ok with it.
Our budget doubled. At long last I located exactly what I wanted although it was on the other side of the United States. its a 2010 35i- black with red interior. It has 53,000 miles on it and in hindsight, I should not have trusted the dealer, or bought sight unseen. Pictures always look better, salesman are often dishonest...
Car was delivered with a low front tire. not long after a rear. I took it to our local BMW dealer and had the rears replace with the same run flats that it came with and had an alignment - $1300. I asked the service department to check the front, and also struts and springs because it seemed "Floaty". He said at 53000 miles they couldn't possibly be worn out (aslo read- your just a girl who doesn't know what shes talking about). When I picked the car up, he said the front tires were fine, I paid and went on my way. Days later the slow leak in the front right wasn't slow- went to a local tire shop where they removed the tire from the rim to unveil a cracked rim that had been welded in several places. After deciding that I preferred the BMW rim to any aftermarket rims I looked at, I tried to locate a replacement and had the wheel welded again as a temporary solution so that I could go on a long planned, but short road trip.
Of course halfway there the rim failed and I had to stop as often as possible to reach my destination. On the way home, heading up a mountain pass, the water pump failed and I was stranded. As BMW owners you probably already know what happens when the car shuts down to protect itself from further damage.
It was a little scary for a minute while I tried to limp through several lanes of 70 mph plus traffic to reach the side of the road.
I would up leaving it at a BMW dealership near Seattle and rented a car to get home (about 300 more miles)
The dealership in Seattle called a few days later after diagnosing the water pump, and also blown struts, suggesting that the car had been in an accident at one point and not repaired properly.
SO tomorrow morning, I will board a one way flight to Seattle, with my (delivered just in time) wheel and my credit card, and when I return home I will take my beautiful little car (and my credit card) to a local well reputed Euro shop (NOT BMW!) for struts and springs. BMW quoted $2700 and this place ordered OEM parts and came up with a $1700 estimate. (YAY for supporting local business!)

I am really hoping there will not be anything else, at least for this season. I am really looking forward to some uninterrupted top down time!!
Hows that for a long story ? :)
I look forward to hearing comments and ADVICE!!
Attachments
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Hello!

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Kim. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that your introduction to Z4 ownership has been somewhat troubled. :o

They aren't always like that, honest! Although I have had the electric water pump experience. :(

I've not had an E89 so don't know too much about them but from what I have read on here the alloys are prone to cracking, especially the 19 inch rims and running run-flats tyres seems to make the problem worse because the sidewalls are so stiff. Many people on here swear by switching to non-runflats - which is one of my future plans (when I get round to it).

I just hope things start to improve once you collect your car tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Z4 COUPSTER

Hello!

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am

Welcome. If ot was me id be getting the dealer you bought it from to put their hands in their pockets to help you out. I'm in the car trade and what you have experienced stinks. We don't get it right all the time, but your tale is a piss take.
Lovely car when it's 100% for you though.
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Hello!

Post by mcbeee » Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 am

You should not have those problems with a 3 year old car. Also, get BMW to check for any recalls that it may have missed, you may be able to do it online. Water pump failing at that age is odd.
I had a new E89 (2009) , with the 19" rims (296) swapped to "normal" tires asap, solved the cracking wheels issue and improved the ride and handling a great deal. As for "indy" repair places, I swear by them , once you find a good one. I used a good place in Calgary but that won't do you any good :).. Now I play golf with my Porsche mechanic, I have to let him win once in a while. Ask your local BMW club or the ZSCCA website for recommendations for your area.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hello!

Post by buzyg » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 am

Welcome Kim. Yipes what a tale of woe, I'd have been spitting feathers if some one sold me a car in that condition. Fingers crossed your hard earned dollars and patience have now got you a fine looking sure footed Zed. :thumbsup:

gerryp

Hello!

Post by gerryp » Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 am

Hello and welcome along.