Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trying to be a newbie but...

First port of call for new members
eric K

Post by eric K » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 pm

So I have an irrational desire for a Z4 coupe. That creates two problems for me. The first being the coupe is not easy to find. The second problem, and the reason I am posting here, is that I finally found one close enough to actually test drive. I immediately loved everything about the car except for the road noise. On this particular car the road noise was probably worse than any car I have ridden in for the last 10 years. It was bad. I currently own a 17 year old cheap mitsubishi and I think my current car had less road noise than that Z4. The one I test drove did not have run flats, but otherwise I don't know much about the tires. Is that normal for a Z4 coupe, or was something wrong with that particular one?

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:11 pm

The run flat tyres won’t be helping things assuming there are still a set on.

I have a roadster and didn’t notice much road noise when I changed from an Astra J and that was well sound proofed.

I would try and find another z4 to test drive.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Generally its the tyres/road surface that dictate how much road noise you get I haven’t got a coupe but my old e85 wasn’t too bad for road noise
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm

It could indicate that the shock absorbers are past their best, which is not surprising if they are still the original parts after 10+ years. Or more likely the car has cheap tyres fitted (I.e. far eastern ditch finders) and/or poor suspension alignment.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

E86 is an excellent choice, but I may be biased!

Both my Coupes generated a fair amount of road noise, but nothing that seemed excessive to me given that it is a sports car. Yes they were louder than my E46 or E91, but not to the extent it bothered me.

As rally-chris said, there are a load of other factors to consider.

Even the road surface can have a bearing - the concrete stretch of M25 between J8 and J12 causes absurd amounts of road noise in any car.

Maybe try another one and get the revs up towards the red line - you'll soon forget about road noise! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 pm

You are sitting right in front of the back axle so you will pick up noise.
As others have said worn shocks and bushes will add to the noise. Most Z4Cs are old enough now to have nicely worn shocks.
Mine was very noisy until I replaced the Pirelli's with Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics and now it is a much better place to be. And as Mr Tidy says, get those revs up :driving:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic