Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First port of call for new members
ROBOTCOWBELL

Post by ROBOTCOWBELL » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Evening All, what a great forum, nice to see some genuinely helpful and amusing Z4 enthusiasts. I'm hopefully about to buy my first Z4, something iv'e wanted for years.

I really appreciate and thank you in advance for any advice and tips you can give me.

I'm looking for 2008 3.0 E85, would consider 2 or 2.5 depending on mileage / price - going to test drive as many as i can to get a feel - budget around 4-5K mark (i know, nowhere near enough!).
Hoping under 100k miles but seems if looked after these cars go on and on! :)
Ideally I'd like a grey E85, 18" alloys, heated sport seats, colour matched softtop and i'm going to need to buy a hardtop (circa £800-£1k if my research is right?) unless i get really lucky and find one with both options ??!!

I've found a few to go and check out. Any other gotchas i should look out for? (I have the checklist to take along and glance at) Can anyone tell me how i find the VIN, i'm struggling there?

Any thoughts on these 3 much appreciated.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... rey&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 008&page=1

https://www.imwcars.co.uk/used-cars/bmw ... 0240597045
06 E85 Titanium Silver 2.5si
Top down
Grin on face
Will always wave :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've done your homework - happy hunting :thumbsup:
(Don't hold your breath for a 'colour matched' soft top though, unless you are happy with a black Zed :wink: )
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi & Welcome :thumbsup:
Yes like Marlon said, you have done your homework :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum
I’m new myself , only had mine about a month
So not much knowledge . All the guys on here are so helpful though , I’m sure they can give you lots of advice . Those 3 look very nice , lots of luck with the test drives ... they should get you smiling .... keep us posted as to how you get on

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Welcome to the world of Z4s , so many to choose from , your first choice i would avoid , just looks ropey & from a ropey seller :cry:
no2 , not slating the 4 pot but you have a £5k budget so enough to go 6 cylinder
3rd one , looks the best of the 3 but interior appears to have been high gloss lacquered on every surface :P

worth adding this to your possibles :thumbsup: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=103857
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Your looking for a roadster so keep looking until you find one with electric, heated, sports seats - these combined with the furnace like heater makes the roadster an all year round top down car.

Happy hunting :thumbsup:

jack07

Post by jack07 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 pm

welcome and good luck with the search for a nice one :thumbsup:
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

I see you plan to try a few, but personally I'd always go for a 6 cylinder one (even my BMW Indy who is ex-Sytner recommends avoiding the 4 cylinder models) and in any case a straight 6 is one of the Z4s unique features!

There was a facelift in early 2006, and the engines changed.

Pre-facelift 6s used the M54 engine in 2.2 litre (170bhp), 2.5 (192bhp) and 3.0 (231bhp) sizes. But as they are all fundamentally the same engine, running costs and economy are all pretty much the same.

The facelift 6s used the N52 engine in 2.5i (177bhp), 2.5Si (218bhp) and 3.0Si (265bhp) formats - again running costs are pretty much the same for all three. The N52 is more sporting, but does come with a couple of foibles. One is it has no dipstick (you check the oil level with a button on the dash via a sensor) and it has an electric water pump which costs at least £250 for just the replacement part. But if you find one that has already had a new one you shouldn't have to worry about it for some years.

Roof motors can be a problem as they are located under the hood drains, but there are a few members on here who can revive tired ones and relocate them out of harm's way in the boot for a sensible price.

Of the 3 you have posted links to I'd pass on the 2nd one as it's a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder one! The third one looks like the best one, but it is a 2.5i rather than a 2.5Si - you might be better off looking for a pre-facelift 2.5i or 3.0i. That one does have rear parking sensors, but you can't see which seats it has!

When you mention Sport seats be careful with descriptions - the standard seats were called "Sport" seats by BMW, but what you really want were called "M-Sport" seats. And to add to the confusion on facelift models "M-Sport" seats were standard on Sport models - SE models got the "Sport" seats as standard, although some do have the "M-Sport" ones as they were an option. If you really want the M-Sport ones make sure you find one with them - even used ones sell for upwards of £800 a pair!

Other desirable options on an E85 are heated seats and bi-Xenon headlights (the standard halogens are pretty poor). If you want it cruise control is a fairly easy retro-fit, and you're about right on hard-top prices.

The websites that used to give a VIN from a registration number don't seem to work any more, so you'll just need to ask the seller for it or get it from the visible VIN in the windscreen.

I've added a photo of the M-Sport seats, which I think is what you are looking for!

Anyway good luck with the search, and don't forget the photos once you find one!
Attachments
Blue Z4 Interior3 060716.JPG
Blue Z4 Interior3 060716.JPG (121.96 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. A little research goes a long way. There are still plenty of were out there, so try to take your time to find the car you want. Happy hunting? :)

ROBOTCOWBELL

Post by ROBOTCOWBELL » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks everyone!
Thanks Mr wilks for the suggestion, I already messaged Sticky after a browse through the markets :)
Thanks Mr Tidy for your very detailed reply, I am fine tuning my search as we speak :)

I will keep you posted on my search for the perfect Z :driving:
06 E85 Titanium Silver 2.5si
Top down
Grin on face
Will always wave :thumbsup: