Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Greetings from Bedfordshire

First port of call for new members
RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:44 am

From what you have said, I would walk away, bad respray cracked lights, oil leak etc it’s not been well looked after and the roof should not rattle,
There are cars coming up all the time now,won’t be long to find a good one
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ERX

Post by ERX » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:56 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:44 am From what you have said, I would walk away, bad respray cracked lights, oil leak etc it’s not been well looked after and the roof should not rattle,
There are cars coming up all the time now,won’t be long to find a good one
Yeah it definitely was not as good as he made it out to be. If it had more service history to it I wouldn't mind but just disappointed by that. I guess I will be back to looking for a bit more :(

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Hello guys. So I got a mechanic to check another car for me. As well as needing 4 new tyres, and discs at some point, but my main concern is he says there's some oil misting on the gearbox. The mechanic said it's likely to be a seal somewhere but I was wondering what you guys thought of this?

Thanks

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:49 pm

They are presumably referring to a thin coating of oil on the gearbox, rather than oil actually dripping.The oil may, of course, not be from the gearbox itself, if its a car you really like, perhaps you can see where the 'oily bit' and the 'dry bit' join and get some idea as to where it is coming from.
If its not too serious, good be a good haggling point,
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:49 pm They are presumably referring to a thin coating of oil on the gearbox, rather than oil actually dripping.The oil may, of course, not be from the gearbox itself, if its a car you really like, perhaps you can see where the 'oily bit' and the 'dry bit' join and get some idea as to where it is coming from.
If its not too serious, good be a good haggling point,
I called the mechanic again, he said it's misting on the underside of the car. He said it wouldn't put him off buying it, but it would have to be addressed at some point. The dealer reckons it is not the gearbox and it is actually from the rear diff. I will have to wait a few hours for the report which will have pictures of the underside. I will try and get the price down a bit more to take into account the costs of the repairs. Thanks for always responding to me, Rusty :D