Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello from the Fylde Coast

First port of call for new members
srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm No, E86s don't come with a Grom in that case - just a 3mm Aux input jack.
Only if it’s a 2007 model year. Weren’t standard fit until that time.

Manfred

Post by Manfred » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am

Welcome from another Fylde resident.
2006 Z4MC Silver Grey

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am

Hi and welcome :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Brunocrossley wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 am Thanks again.
Questions arose after finding posts on here by the previous owner, Steve. I understand things like the LSD and Eibach. Grom was a new one on me. Sounds useful, if I can operate it. I’m a bit of a Luddite. My current toy car is a ‘68 AH Sprite.
68 AH Sprite? Class....... just Class is what you have and in abundance. Please, Please can we see some pics of your second toy? What a pic that would make............. Your newly acquired Zed (modern toy) versus your 68 AH Sprite (classic toy).... Cant wait......

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:34 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm
No, E86s don't come with a Grom in that case - just a 3mm Aux input jack.

Only if it’s a 2007 model year. Weren’t standard fit until that time.
Thanks, every day is a school day. :thumbsup:

My first Coupe was built on 10 October 2006 and had the Aux in the bottom of the dash.

But my current one was built on 18 September 2006 and has the Aux in the glovebox, so presumably it was fitted by a previous owner.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Manfred wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am Welcome from another Fylde resident.
Two new members from the Fylde coast in the same week..............? I wonder if that pesky bear is playing tricks on me? :tumbleweed:

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Hello Mark, I'm so glad you bought my previous Z4 as I was feeling a bit sad that it was just sitting there and I really hoped it would resurface on here. I just noticed it had gone from Autotrader so came onto the forum hoping to find a new post and voila!

Here's some tips for you:

- It does have an AUX which I installed. It's routed behind the dash and the socket is on the right hand wall inside the glovebox. However, it's not as good quality as the GROM USB3 I installed afterwards so I stopped using it. I can't stand wires trailing in the cabin so didn't put it in the factory location near the gearstick.

- The GROM USB3 is a little black box that emulates a CD multi-changer and is located behind the carpet in the boot against the firewall. I routed the wires through into the lower cubby hole in the centre console so you can plug stuff in out of sight. There is an AUX as one of the cables, which is better quality than the one in the glovebox. One of the USB cables is just for charging and the other you can plug a USB stick to play music through the headunit. As the car has satnav and hence the screen you can see some info on it about the tracks that are playing. The steering wheel controls can be used to switch tracks. You should have the instruction booklet in the paperwork.

There is a problem though as the person who came to view my car plugged their phone in and it didn't work after that so it might have bricked it. My suggestion is to reinstall the firmware. https://gromaudio.co.uk/knowledge_base/

- Get the brake fluid changed as it's a little over 2 years old, otherwise service when the light comes on.

- The wipers were just starting to not park properly again. I cleaned out the grease a while ago but it will need doing again this year. You may need a new cowl as last time some of the clip brackets broke and I had to glue them back on. Here's the procedure: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=55535

- Get yourself a set of 10mm Eibach spacers for the front and back. I had some installed but sold them on when I knew it was going to a dealer. The car handles much better with them on and looks better to boot. I'd advise against anything bigger as it only just didn't rub with 10mm. You'll need some longer bolts too.

- I'd also recommend getting a strut brace which is the other thing I took off and sold. The steering is crisper with it on and it pulls less over ruts. I used this one as it doesn't obstruct the filler cap like many do: http://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/shop/do ... ben-detail

- The second key stopped working remotely but functions in the locks. The other one I bought new during my ownership from BMW. You can either live with it like I did, pay £140 for one from BMW or there are a couple of people on here who can make new ones up for a bit less.

- The rear top mounts are Meyle HD and are a bit noisy making a knocking noise over sharp bumps. It's pretty easy to swap these out and I'd recommend Lemforder which is what it came with originally and they are silent.

- The front bumper has quite a few stone chips but otherwise the paint is in good condition as I cut it all over with Sonax EX 04-06. You may have your own preference but I found Sonax Xtreme Protect & Shine was easy to apply and lasted months even daily driven.

- There is a very small amount of vibration through the chassis at idle when stationary but this is just the uprated engine mounts. On the move I found it no less refined than the stock mounts.

- They're all new tyres but when you change I'd recommend staying with the 245/40/18 rather than the stock 255/35/18 as it keeps the speedo within about 1mph accuracy, there's better ride comfort and less understeer with the reduced stagger. There's still plenty of grip from a 245 and the Quaife differential works wonders.

- You don't need to drive sideways to feel the benefit of the Quaife, it gives a much more connected feel between right foot and rear end when powering through corners plus allows you to take off sharply too.

- You can play with the anti-roll bars but I've already tried all the permutations. The front is on the softer of two settings and gives less understeer that way. The back is on the middle of three as the stiffest gave less overall grip and the droplink wouldn't stretch to the softest. I might have bought some jointed droplinks to try the softest setting if I still had the car.

- The geometry is set max camber front (without getting camber plates) and the rear is set to minimum camber (without getting camber arms). The toe is virtually parallel on the front and not much on the rear. This is quite a lively setup but don't worry, the tail doesn't kick out unless you're heavy footed.

- If it's going to be a keeper you might want to refresh the bushes on the rear subframe at some stage.

That's all I can think of for now but the most important thing is to just enjoy driving it. I'm sure you'll have your own ideas and preferences and I look forward to seeing more of it on the forum in due course. :driving:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Brunocrossley

Post by Brunocrossley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for all the useful info. I've not replied before now 'cos I've been busy bonding with my new toy. Your Coupe looked sad, tucked away at the back of a warehouse, and I was sold from 50 feet away. I'm a car salesman's dream.
MOL, my Sprite, is sulking in a corner. We were due at the 'Ring at the end of May, but now I'll take E86 to the home country instead. I must admit that it's a bit of a relief not to need earplugs right across Belgium.
Your hints on the suspension setup are very handy. I find that it's very easy to tie yourself in knots unless you change one thing at once and I'm still getting to grips with the terminology, never mind the steering characteristics. I assume that the Sprite is 'square' because it runs uprated 165/70x13's all round. 'Pulling pins' and 'lollipops' will become clear in the fullness of time!
I did worry that I wouldn't have much to fiddle with compared to MOL, but I'm sure I won't be bored. Your links will come in handy, and I'm fighting the urge to shop for strut braces, although I'll probably be defeated.
Anyone want to buy an appreciating classic? Free road tax, no MOT required, never raced or rallied.

Cheers Mark
Attachments
POR_0276.JPG
POR_0276.JPG (112.85 KiB) Viewed 731 times

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Price? :thumbsup:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi & Welcome :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Blacsheap

Post by Blacsheap » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 am

sad_old_man wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 pm At last another member from North of Watford Gap. Welcome to the club and from myself also in sunny Blackpool. Look forward to seeing your newly acquired Zed on the road.
Hi I'm another Northerner from rainy Preston. Are there any Z4 meets in Lancashire?

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi & Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 pm

I passed your coupe a couple of times today whilst I was in Thornton - hope you are still enjoying it?

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Welcome !
A Grom plugs in in place of the CD changer, and allows connection of iPods, phones, USB sticks etc. As it takes the place of the CD changer it is controlled via the standard radio and steering wheel controls. A great invention. More details here
https://gromaudio.co.uk/
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Brunocrossley

Post by Brunocrossley » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Rally Chris. Yes, I’m having fun, thanks for asking. Just getting ready for a play out at Caldwell next week. Brake fluid changed, pads swapped, oils drained and refreshed for piece of mind. So I think I’m good to go!!
It’s a practice for the Ring at the end of May. I didn’t think my Sprite would be able to keep up with my mates’ Z4M or V8 M3, hence my coupe. I love it, even if the power to weight is about the same as my faithful old roller skate.
A quick question Chris: where do you take Montego For mechanical work?
Mark