Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not quite the weather for it, but thinking of getting a Zed

First port of call for new members
vanboosh

Post by vanboosh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi all!

I've been living in London for the last 5 years, so haven't had a car, but moving back to the country in April (Worcestershire area) and want something fun. My closest friend has been pushing me to get an MX-5 (he has a supercharged 300bhp beast), but I've always loved and preferred the Z4!

I tried a search for common Z4 issues and the main thing that came back was the front springs and the hood motor. Is there anything else I should be looking for? How painful is it when things do go wrong? I'm fairly handy with a spanner...

Also, will I find something reliable for around £4k? I'd be happy with any engine, but this will be a daily and I do like to take road trips, so the 3ltr might be a little bit uneconomical...

Any other advice before I take the plunge would be greatly received!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Welcome along - its the rear springs that fail.
There isn't much difference economically running a 3ltr - I'd recommend it :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Generally they are reliable and economical- especially the earlier cars with the M54 engine (2.2,2.5 and 3:0)
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 pm

paddy wright wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pmGenerally they are reliable and economical- especially the earlier cars with the M54 engine (2.2,2.5 and 3:0)
They're all good engines but the later n52 engined cars make more power and also return better economy :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

step_change

Post by step_change » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Get a 3.0 if you can. I had the 2.5 before my current car. Whilst the 2.5 still a great car, the 3.0 leaves it for dead.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:46 pm

The two issues you mentioned are the main ones, any car can go wrong and only painful if you take it to a main dealer, but as you have a spanner you should be OK :thumbsup: you might want to invest in a screwdriver as well,, generally they are very reliable if looked after, my son has my old Z 3.0 and that has done nearly 100,000 with no serious issues
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Very reliable, I've had two 3.0 with over 100K miles and never had any major issues with either.

In my opinion a world away from the MX5 we had, which was slow and felt very much a poor relation to the Z.

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm

I forgot to add that it's the ideal time to buy a sports car, as soon as the sun starts to shine watch the price go up :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

Probably a great time of year to buy - just not so good to sell. :)

Hopefully this buyer's guide might help:- https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... yers+guide

For your budget you are probably looking at pre-facelift models, in which case the 6-cylinder ones all have a version of the M54 engine in 2.2, 2.5 and 3.0 litre formats. But running costs (including economy) are pretty much the same, apart from maybe insurance!

So you might as well get a 3 litre anyway! :) Mind you if you find a good 2.5 that is local and has good history, spec and mileage for a good price it's probably worth a look. What feels quick may depend on what you've had before!

Don't worry too much about roof motors - there are a few members on here who can get them revived and move them into the boot out of harm's way for much less than the cost of a new motor (which could be a good bargaining tool).

Good luck finding one you like, and don't forget to post some photos once you've found one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Graeme_NI

Post by Graeme_NI » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am

Winter is the perfect time to buy with people wanting to free up some cash by offloading sports cars they never drive. I don't daily mine but I get it out a run on dry weekends and however cold it is I get the heater on and the hood down, they are a fantastic car to drive. I picked one over an MX5 because they feel a bit classier and I prefer the slightly retro styling. Whichever engine you choose go for a six pot, they are torquey and smooth and sound great when you give them some beans

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:10 am

Perfect time to buy IMO, before people actively start looking/selling :)

Mike

Mighty1

Post by Mighty1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi and welcome moved from a mk1 Eunos to 2.5 zed Maldives blue last summer Mazda was great but the zed is much better never forgave myself for selling my first red zed 8years ago have owned a boxster,and slk also none as good as the zed 4
Good look in your search
Geoff
Previous
Z4 2.0 M sport
Porsche Boxster
SLk 3.5
MK1 Mx5
Currently z2.5 Auto exclusive Maldives blue

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:15 pm

vanboosh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:08 pm Hi all!

I've been living in London for the last 5 years, so haven't had a car, but moving back to the country in April (Worcestershire area) and want something fun. My closest friend has been pushing me to get an MX-5 (he has a supercharged 300bhp beast), but I've always loved and preferred the Z4!

I tried a search for common Z4 issues and the main thing that came back was the front springs and the hood motor. Is there anything else I should be looking for? How painful is it when things do go wrong? I'm fairly handy with a spanner...

Also, will I find something reliable for around £4k? I'd be happy with any engine, but this will be a daily and I do like to take road trips, so the 3ltr might be a little bit uneconomical...

Any other advice before I take the plunge would be greatly received!
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=102153
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:16 pm

step_change wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 pm Get a 3.0 if you can. I had the 2.5 before my current car. Whilst the 2.5 still a great car, the 3.0 leaves it for dead.
A matter of opinion, but I've always found the 2.5's more lively mid range than the 3.0's. The biggest draw back with the pre-2006 2.5's is the lack of a 6th gear though.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Check the strut brace where it joins the bulk head. They have been known to crack at that point. Happy hunting :wink: