Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What to look out for...?

First port of call for new members
Sidewaze Samm

What to look out for...?

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi guys

After many years away from the fold (23!!), I'm now looking at coming back to BMW. I really fancy a Z4 and much as a folding-top 3.0 appeals, for various reasons it's going to have to be a 2.0 roadster (probably the SE).

I've seen the buyer's check list on the forum, and I'm pretty comfortable in generic assessing and buying a used car - but there's a few Z4-specific points that I wonder if anyone could clarify for me:

1: When new, were options specified individually or in 'packs'? What I'd like to know is what is the easiest way to identify if an advertised car has bluetooth phone prep, or satnav (or both!) ? - I presume the presence of phone buttons on the steering wheel means nothing at all.

2: If option packs, which are the ones to look for ?

3: What does Business CD mean? :idunno:

4: What are the standard design and size of wheels on the 2.0 SE ?

5: What is the difference in standard spec between the 2.0 Sport and SE ?

6: What are the parking sensors like - for accuracy/sensitivity and for reliability ?

7: Is servicing carried out on a variable-interval basis? How many service stamps should I expect to see for a low mileage (50-65k) 2007 car?

8: Any service items that I need to look for, eg. timing belts etc.

If anyone could give me answers for these points it would be great - and apologies if the info is already easily available on the forum and I've missed it.

Cheers, and many thanks in advance :thumbsup:
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by ph001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm1: When new, were options specified individually or in 'packs'? What I'd like to know is what is the easiest way to identify if an advertised car has bluetooth phone prep, or satnav (or both!) ? - I presume the presence of phone buttons on the steering wheel means nothing at all.

Really the best way to check all options fitted is to get the VIN from the seller and put it in here... https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online

Bluetooth prep has a button in the drop down centre console (behind / between the front seats) - I think they all have the button on the steering wheel. Satnav is obvious due to the presence of the auto-flip up display on the top of the dash.

2: If option packs, which are the ones to look for ?

The ones which are probably most important are the heated M-sport seats, xenons, wind deflector. Cruise is nice but can be retro-fitted relatively easily. I like satnav just because I like the info on the display but it's pretty antiquated (no full postcode entry) and some members prefer the cleaner lines of the dash without.

3: What does Business CD mean?

It's the basic CD player (and probably basic 6 speaker system), note the black front panelled head units I think from mid 2005 on can play mp3's. The Business CD actually sounds OK compared to a lot of other cars. You can easily spot upgraded audio (professional & DSP) by the lack of cubby holes in the bulkhead behind the seats. The higher end hifi's have subwoofers fitted there.

4: What are the standard design and size of wheels on the 2.0 SE ?

Not sure on this one.

5: What is the difference in standard spec between the 2.0 Sport and SE ?

From Parkers, so may be bolx!

Sport standard:

Audio remote
Body coloured bumpers
Front fog lights
Heated mirrors
Isofix child seat anchor points
Partial leather seat trim
Remote locking
Service indicator

SE standard:

Body coloured bumpers
Front fog lights
Heated mirrors
Service indicator

6: What are the parking sensors like - for accuracy/sensitivity and for reliability ?

Since no car manufacturers actually make their own sensors, the performance is broadly consistent across the range. They do occasionally fail in any car but are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Tbh, the rear end of the car is easy to judge, it's the front end which is very deceiving due to the long bonnet. Prepare to scuff the underside of the front spoiler once or twice on raised kerbs until you get the hang of this! Unfortunately, front parking sensors were never an option on the E85/E86 like they were on the E89.

7: Is servicing carried out on a variable-interval basis? How many service stamps should I expect to see for a low mileage (50-65k) 2007 car?

Some items are variable and others (such as brake fluid) are time based. The service indicator looks at LOTS of parameters to determine service intervals, but oil should always be changed every 2 yrs irrespective.

The service regime follows the pattern:
Oil Service
Inspection 1
Oil Service
Inspection 2
Oil Service
Inspection 1
etc etc... with brake fluid changes done on a time basis (every 2yrs) as a separate item.

There is a bit of a misconception that the Inspection 2 is an expensive service on these cars which actually isn't the case like it is on perhaps the M's which requires valve clearances to be checked. The Inspection 2 is identical to the Inspection 1 except it includes the replacement of the air filter (can you believe that is not done with every service - yet the stupid pollen filter is!!) and the replacement of spark plugs (if over 100k miles), O2 sensors (if over 120k miles) and ATF fluid (if over 100k miles)

In terms of stamps on a 2007 60k mile car, you would ideally want to see 5 oil services, an inspection 1 and an inspection 2.

8: Any service items that I need to look for, eg. timing belts etc.

Of course, all these engines have timing chains not belts which are in theory maintenance free. There is a serpentine belt which drives the alternator etc but IIRC I don't think the replacement is specified in any of the Inspections! I change mine at 60k miles.

In all honesty I think the BMW service schedule sucks. As a minimum, I would be changing oil & oil filter plus air filter every 6,000 miles or annually (which ever comes first). Plugs every 30k miles, transmission fluids & serp belt every 60k, brake fluid every 2 years. Everything else is visual checks and should be changed as and when necessary. Don't discount regular greasing of hinges / hood mechanisms / conditioning of rubber seals and especially keeping the drain holes clear.

Last edited by ph001 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Sidewaze Samm

What to look out for...?

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for taking time with your response - much appreciated.

From digging around, including MOT history of advertised cars, it looks like brake line corrosion and ABS issues are not uncommon.

Along with the roof motor and broken springs, just how much should I be concerned about these and at what sort of age/mileage are they likely to appear?

cheers
2008 E85 3.0si

philbo909

What to look out for...?

Post by philbo909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pmThanks for taking time with your response - much appreciated.

From digging around, including MOT history of advertised cars, it looks like brake line corrosion and ABS issues are not uncommon.

Along with the roof motor and broken springs, just how much should I be concerned about these and at what sort of age/mileage are they likely to appear?

cheers
Not sure about abs fixes,

Springs can break at any time and are an MOT fail, there's a thread on it here, cheap fix with new suplex springs, think they last a bit longer.

Roof motor can be put in boot, few forum members on here do it for just up from £100 I think?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

bryand

What to look out for...?

Post by bryand » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm3: What does Business CD mean?

It's the basic CD player (and probably basic 6 speaker system), note the black front panelled head units I think from mid 2005 on can play mp3's. The Business CD actually sounds OK compared to a lot of other cars. You can easily spot upgraded audio (professional & DSP) by the lack of cubby holes in the bulkhead behind the seats. The higher end hifi's have subwoofers fitted there.
Sorry for the hijack, I believe I have the professional system, no cubby holes in the bulkhead but equally I don't have any subwoofers either so they must come on whatever the next system up is, happy to be corrected though as I am new to the Zed.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by ph001 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Most ABS issues is the pump which is an easy refurb (can be done by members on here for the price of a night out) and any pump electronic problems sorted by the likes of ECUTesting, based in Derbyshire for under £200 typically.

Springs break on the back very commonly but again they are not expensive and are a doddle to fit. Suplex ones seem to last a lot longer than OEM or go the Eibach route if wanting a slightly lower stance.

Brake pipe corrosion is not particular to the Z4 at all. Regular under chassis cleaning in winter to remove salts helps a lot. Spray them in ACF50 to keep them in top condition.

Roof motor is not an issue IF the drain plugs are kept clear. An easy test is to pour a little water down by the roof hinge mechanism with the top down. It should instantly appear out the bottom of the car below the sill just in front of the rear tyre. If it doesn't this would point to a blocked drain plug which inevitably means a build up of water around the roof motor which will eventually lead it to fail. Again, there are members on here that can revive even the rustiest of motors and relocate it to the boot for piece of mind, all for beer money (albeit a fair bit of beer)!
Last edited by ph001 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by ph001 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

bryand wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pmSorry for the hijack, I believe I have the professional system, no cubby holes in the bulkhead but equally I don't have any subwoofers either so they must come on whatever the next system up is, happy to be corrected though as I am new to the Zed.
If you have no cubby holes in the bulkhead behind the seats (and just have a cover instead), there certainly should be subwoofers behind there. How do you know you haven't?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm
bryand wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pmSorry for the hijack, I believe I have the professional system, no cubby holes in the bulkhead but equally I don't have any subwoofers either so they must come on whatever the next system up is, happy to be corrected though as I am new to the Zed.
If you have no cubby holes in the bulkhead behind the seats (and just have a cover instead), there certainly should be subwoofers behind there. How do you know you haven't?
Hi, bryand has an e89 which differs from the e85 by never having the storage bins in the rear bulkhead :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by ph001 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Ah! Signatures would make these things so much easier!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

What to look out for...?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 pmAh! Signatures would make these things so much easier!
Yeah, he must have been missed that the threads concerning the e85 & stepped in anyway :D
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

maxman

What to look out for...?

Post by maxman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Not knocking a Z4 2.0 but a 2.5 or 3.0 are no more expensive to buy and run.If I was going to buy a 2.0 it would be a Mazda mx5 or Honda S2000.The Mazda would have to a late model.

philbo909

What to look out for...?

Post by philbo909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm

maxman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pmNot knocking a Z4 2.0 but a 2.5 or 3.0 are no more expensive to buy and run.If I was going to buy a 2.0 it would be a Mazda mx5 or Honda S2000.The Mazda would have to a late model.
They definitely are more expensive to buy and maintain? Brakes, insurance, road tax and servicing.
S2000 demand a premium as they're now a modern classic
Mx5s have that hairdressing image which puts people off
I agree with the buy a 3.0 though, it's a classic engine. The 2.0i can be troublesome

bryand

What to look out for...?

Post by bryand » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pmYeah, he must have been missed that the threads concerning the e85 & stepped in anyway
Rob
Yes my bad, didn't notice that :lol: Apologies

Sidewaze Samm

What to look out for...?

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 pm

philbo909 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pmmaxman wrote: Not knocking a Z4 2.0 but a 2.5 or 3.0 are no more expensive to buy and run.If I was going to buy a 2.0 it would be a Mazda mx5 or Honda S2000.The Mazda would have to a late model.

They definitely are more expensive to buy and maintain? Brakes, insurance, road tax and servicing.
S2000 demand a premium as they're now a modern classic
Mx5s have that hairdressing image which puts people off
I agree with the buy a 3.0 though, it's a classic engine. The 2.0i can be troublesome
I'd love the S2000 but too much money. Am considering a mk3 MX-5 but find it a little tinny and very short on legroom. A 3.0 is attractive but not worth the running cost for what I want. I now suffer from old age and a bad back so the firmer ride of the Sport is not as attractive as that of the SE.

What's 'troublesome' with the 2.0 engine - and importantly, how often is it troublesome?

cheers
2008 E85 3.0si

philbo909

What to look out for...?

Post by philbo909 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 pm
What's 'troublesome' with the 2.0 engine - and importantly, how often is it troublesome?

cheers
Here's a e46 thread on the 2.0I
http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/56768-n46b20-engine/

Personally I had an e46 318I and the oil usage was high,not enough power and generally crap. The 2.0I Zed feels lighter than the larger engines and nice in the corners