Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello from fanother newbie

First port of call for new members
Fat Yucca

Post by Fat Yucca » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, having recently treated my self to a Z4. Until now I have been viewing the forum as a guest, and gained an excellent impression of the forum from all contributors and threads I have read so far. Many of them several years old so I didn't join before not wishing to cover old ground. But now my Z4 has passed its first MOT under my ownership (with some work, new drop link and wish bone, acceptable for a 15 year old car) I can relax while I look forward to the summer, and have taken the time to sign up to this great forum.

I have bought my way into Z4 ownership with a 2003 3.0 model in sapphire black, as a second car. I have committed the arguable faux pas of agreeing to buy a used car after only seeing it and test driving it in the rain. It wasn't perfect, though armed with a list of common problems to look for (thanks to you guys) I couldn't find any significant issues. I quite liked it and was just pondering if a second car was a good idea or not, but it was the sound of the exhaust as I first opened up the taps that sealed the deal. My father was with me, and as the roar came from the exhaust, we simply looked at each other and said "that's sold it!"

So why a Z4? I've owned a few sports cars over the years and decided that I wanted a reputable, front engined, rear wheel drive roadster, ideally with 6 or more cylinders and quicker than my daily drive, which is an Octavia VRS. Other coupes and roadsters ticked most boxes, but the Z4 ticked them all while remaining in budget.

It does have one unusual feature that I wish to share with you all, occasionally when I turn on the ignition, the screen in the dash pops up displaying the Bat sign.

Cheers,

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Welcome along - sounds like you did your homework before taking the plunge :thumbsup:
I too am looking forward to the summer - can't beat the sound of that straight six with the roof down :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi &Welcome :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 am

Hi OP, really well written 1st post. :thumbsup:

I'm sure a straight 6 sounds great with the roof down, but mine works well with the windows down under a bridge and pedal to the metal!

Anyway as you have visited here before you should know we need photos, or it didn't happen! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 am

Welcome- sounds like someone has changed your splash screen from bmw to bat logo- should be easy to undo if you don’t like it.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 am

Hi and welcome.

Bat logos are fine. The time to worry is when you find a young man in tights called Robin sitting in the passenger seat!

Enjoy :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Welcome to Gotham city. :)

You should know:- :worthless:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Welcome to the forum - 3.0 - GREAT choice!

As others will prob say though..

:worthless:

Mike

Fat Yucca

Post by Fat Yucca » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks every one for such a warm welcome!

It does sound incredible, roof up or down! I'm not sure if the exhaust is standard though, a friend of mine who had a 330 convertible said it sounds much louder under load by comparison. Though its really quite civilised otherwise.

I would have been back sooner but tried to get a picture of the Bat logo on the splash screen, but it doesn't always appear and goes straight to the menu screen. If anyone knows what conditions trigger it, I'll try and get a picture again. I tried firing up the engine straight away, that didn't work, and then with the engine running, well,... it would have been rude not to go for a drive.

Anyway, I'm back now.

And sorry, no pictures of the Bat sign. I don't mind it, it's become a bit of a private joke among friends and family with the car now being referred to as the 'bat mobile'. Though I'm curious as to how it was changed.

I don't get to see the car during day light hours very often at this time of year, so haven't actually got around to taking many pictures of it, but here's the best 2 I have so far. I'm sure many more will be taken as the year progresses.

To continue the 'Dark Knight' theme, and in addition to the black wheels, it has black front grille surrounds, carbon fibre effect interior trim set, black leather seats and interior. The previous owner informed me that all the emblems were black when he acquired it, (the one on the steering wheel still is) and I have removed traces of adhesive on the inside of the windows suggesting it had window film at some point too. Needless to say, it's very black, and was probably even blacker in the past.

I keep wanting to refer to it as 'she' or 'her' but with some much batman-ness about it, it doesn't feel like a 'she'.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (154.39 KiB) Viewed 787 times
IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4602.JPG (328.75 KiB) Viewed 787 times

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Congrats on the new car, looks very mean.
Has it got a modified exhaust? As the standard ones don't really make any noise worthy of note.

salb

Post by salb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Could name this one The Black Panther.......

Welcome.

sal
PROUD OWNER OF .......

BMW Z4 MSPORT:
LANDROVER DISCOVERY OVERFINCH:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Looks Great. 8) :thumbsup:

Fat Yucca

Post by Fat Yucca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks, yes it does look pretty mean, the black wheels really appealed to me. I quite like the idea of black head light clusters, but it has HIDs and I rather keep them as the roads around where I live are not lit, and there are many other places where money would be better spent.

LordOxygen, you suggest that a standard exhaust isn't that noisy, so I'm beginning to think that perhaps it is modified. I'm due to replace brake pads soon, so I'll try and see any tell tale signs when its on the axle stands.

Cheers,

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am

Nice bat mobile! :wink:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4