Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie saying hi

First port of call for new members
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie saying hi

Post by Marlon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 am

MrJollygood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 amApologies if I'm being a newbie a haven't found it, but is there a buying guide on here? Or could someone point me towards a good one?

Thanks in advance.
here you go: https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MrJollygood

Newbie saying hi

Post by MrJollygood » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

Thanking you.
3.0 Si Coupe (manual) wanted...

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie saying hi

Post by Nanu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm

There was a good link posted a week or too ago to an assessment of Z4's in general which was pretty comprehensive giving good and bad points of each (It may have just been for e89's) which may help but I cannot find it now. Perhaps someone else can recall it. Marlon perhaps?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Newbie saying hi

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm

OP, I just realised you are in the same town as this car!

I don't know what requirements you have on the spec. but it's got nearly all the options.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... BMW&page=2
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MrJollygood

Newbie saying hi

Post by MrJollygood » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mr Tidy.
That ticks lots of boxes for me (Si, manual, not too high mileage) but silver wouldn't be my first choice of colour and I'd prefer non-satnav but more than that I'm not sure I could live with the blue interior!!

I might go take a look anyway seeing as it's on my doorstep and it sounds like a good one, although I'd feel bad wasting the guys time if I had no intention of buying it.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie saying hi

Post by Marlon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 am

Nanu wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pmThere was a good link posted a week or too ago to an assessment of Z4's in general which was pretty comprehensive giving good and bad points of each (It may have just been for e89's) which may help but I cannot find it now. Perhaps someone else can recall it. Marlon perhaps?
This was the E89 review: http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advi ... 9-2016-mk2
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Newbie saying hi

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 am

There was also a PH Carpool on Pistonheads for the E86 recently, although it doesn't have loads of detail:-

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph ... pool/36913

And here is a link to the Evo review of the 3.0Si E86 from back in the day:-

http://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/z4/6440/bmw-z4 ... -0-60-time
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Newbie saying hi

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 am

MrJollygood wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 pmThanks for the heads up Mr Tidy.
That ticks lots of boxes for me (Si, manual, not too high mileage) but silver wouldn't be my first choice of colour and I'd prefer non-satnav but more than that I'm not sure I could live with the blue interior!!

I might go take a look anyway seeing as it's on my doorstep and it sounds like a good one, although I'd feel bad wasting the guys time if I had no intention of buying it.
I know, there's always something not quite right!

But the latest Coupe database on here suggests only 2,189 3.0Sis came to the UK (and I think about 10% were SEs, and 600 or so were autos) so you aren't exactly fishing in a well stocked pond so to speak!

I'd love that interior in my Coupe (seeing as it is blue), but I doubt you'd want Pearl Grey seats in a silver one somehow. :roll:

Anyway it looks like Newlands Corner on Sunday is still on, so let me know if you get a pass from DIY - or maybe just go AWOL! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Crazy Harry

Newbie saying hi

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am

Hi and welcome,

Just to echo some of the comments above don't confuse this roadster with other soft top cars. They are leak and draft free when the top is closed. They operate at the touch of a button - remarkably quickly to be honest. Don't believe the horror stories about soaking wet roof motors - BMW should have mounted them in the boot in the nice little corner into which some forum members will relocate them for less cost than a good night out. They can even revive 'dead' wet motors just don't ask a main dealer to fit one!

If you already have a 'tintop' daily at least give the roadster a look. Anyway good luck with your search.

MrJollygood

Newbie saying hi

Post by MrJollygood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Harry - It's a coupe in particular that I'm after, always liked the mini-gt car / shooting brake look of them. I lusted after a Z3M Coupe when I was younger, and almost bought one a few years back - wish I had as the prices have rocketed now! Done the roadster thing with several years running an Elise as a daily driver and several 1960's Triumphs.

Interesting stats Mr Tidy - thanks for that. I realise there's not a huge pool to choose from (esp. at this time of year) but I'm in no particular hurry. I have an 'ideal world wish list' but realise I probably won't find a car that ticks all the boxes for me and I'm happy to compromise on several things as long as it's a manual si coupe...

AveZ4coop

Newbie saying hi

Post by AveZ4coop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Took me about 6 months to find the right car (e86 montego blue manual with black interior). Was well worth the wait.

It became a daily habit to check Autotrader, pistonheads, gumtree (not so good), etc........ finally one cropped up 100 miles away that was spot on.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

MrJollygood

Newbie saying hi

Post by MrJollygood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks Ave...

...want to sell? :)

AveZ4coop

Newbie saying hi

Post by AveZ4coop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I can't see me selling anytime soon. :D

Can honestly say it is the most fun car I have ever owned (have had various types of 3.0l coupes and a SAAB 95 aero in the past). Good looks, good pace, great noise and reasonable MPG. Keep looking, the right one for you is out there.. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Newbie saying hi

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 am

AveZ4coop wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 pmI can't see me selling anytime soon. :D

Can honestly say it is the most fun car I have ever owned (have had various types of 3.0l coupes and a SAAB 95 aero in the past). Good looks, good pace, great noise and reasonable MPG. Keep looking, the right one for you is out there.. :thumbsup:
I'd agree with that!

Montego Blue Coupe ticks all the boxes for me. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Lazza

Newbie saying hi

Post by Lazza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16 am

I pretty much bought the first one I test drove :x
A bit over the odds with the price but it is in fantastic condition, exactly the spec I wanted and low miles. :driving:
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire