Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Going to buy my first Z4

First port of call for new members
Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am just in the process of buying a second hand Z4 its a second car so not going to buy a new one. I have been looking at the 4K - 5K mark.

So this puts me at a 03 - 08 reg plate. All the ones I have looked seem in good condition but I am not too keen on the soft top roof....

My question is can you get a hard top roof for the Z4?

All your help will be appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Barranak wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pmHi Everyone,

I am just in the process of buying a second hand Z4 its a second car so not going to buy a new one. I have been looking at the 4K - 5K mark.

So this puts me at a 03 - 08 reg plate. All the ones I have looked seem in good condition but I am not too keen on the soft top roof....

My question is can you get a hard top roof for the Z4?

All your help will be appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy, hard tops are available but pricey at around a grand :o
What engines are you looking at?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Well been looking at a 06 2.0i 150 sport and a 03 3.0i both have soft tops and would prefer a hard top.

New to this sort of car so any advise welcome :D

Crazy Harry

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi OP welcome to the forum.

This is a good time to buy - particularly roadsters if its a second car then there's a argument for something different so (as a hardened top down man) I would suggest at least thinking about a roadster. They are more secure and draft free than you might imagine; and in the summer there is no comparison between sitting behind glass with the air con on full or dropping the top and feeling the air.

Of course a lot depends on the type of driving you will be doing; the area you live and park in; and what you expect from the car. IMHO 3.0 roadster - hard to beat :driving:

Anyway enjoy your search and come back and ask more questions :thumbsup:

Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for the replies..... We will be keeping the car on a drive as we have no garage will the soft top be ok for this?

Crazy Harry

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 pm

It terms of weather no problems at all. Some areas aren't as nice as others but if you've not had problems with damage to cars in your area already why should you worry about it now?

The top can be kept clean easily - no more work than the paintwork just a brush and vacuum every now and then before washing - lots of info on 'how to' and roof care if you search the forum.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Barranak wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:02 pmThanks for the replies..... We will be keeping the car on a drive as we have no garage will the soft top be ok for this?
Should be fine, there’s a few different cleaners/treatments available to keep any mould away and keep it looking good :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I kind of know what you mean - for me it had to be a Coupe, but sadly you won't get one in your budget. :(

If you really want a hardtop you might find a car for sale that has one, or maybe budget to buy one separately - they do appear in the classifieds on here from time to time.

Assuming similar condition, etc. I couldn't convince myself to buy a 2.0i if a 3.0i was an option. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by buzyg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Welcome on board. Hope you find your hard Top. :)

Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for the info.....

Can you get a hard top for all the models?

I can then eliminate them from my search so at least gives me the option to buy a hard top using the future

Andy

Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Any advise on the following car

03 plate, 96K £5,000

Stunning BMW Z4 3.0 Automatic Convertible.. Outstanding service history.. Space Grey metallic, complemented by Black Oregon leather upholstery.. Great factory spec.. Satellite navigation.. Heated/Electric/Memory seats.. Cruise control.. Mirror package.. 6 CD Changer.. 18" 5 Spoke alloy wheels..

Upgrades - Navigation System, 18" 5 Spoke BMW alloy wheels - Style 108, Front Seat Heating, Cruise Control, CD Changer for 6 CD's, Interior & Exterior Mirrors with Auto Anti-Dazzle, Exterior Mirror Package, Metallic Paint, Standard Features - Oregon Leather Upholstery - Black, Seats Electric (Driver/Passenger - Driver Memory), Air-Conditioning (Automatic), Parking Aid (Rear), In Car Entertainment (Radio/CD), Leather sports steering wheel, Rake/reach adjustable steering wheel, Elec heated adjust door mirrors, Anti dazzle rear view mirror, Automatic Xenon headlamps, Fog lights, Electric front/rear windows/one touch operation, Heated rear window, Central locking with electronic immobiliser, Remote alarm system, Driver and passenger airbags, Side airbags, Side impact protection, Pyrotechnically pre-tensioned front seatbelts, On board computer, DSTC-Dynamic Stability and Traction Control], CBC - (Cornering brake control), Automatic Stability Control (ASC), Motor Slip Regulation - Engine Drag Torque Control, Dynamic brake control, ABS, Tyre pressure monitoring, Auto differential brake, Electric power steering, Twin exhaust pipes. 2 seats, Grey
Attachments
Image.png
Image.png (764.33 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

Zoomer

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 pm

108 wheels tend to deteriorate if left out as they are 2 piece and the corrosion starts from the bolts which are a pig to remove.. This car has a front spoiler and I think it also has aero sills. Check to see if the motor is OK on the roof or has been relocated.would be better with sports seats and probable a little high on the price but do you get a warranty. I would tend to wait and get one off a forum member who can tell you what's been done rather than a dealer trying to make a buck if it were me.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Barranak

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Barranak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks Zoomer

I am totally new to this so any info is really appreciated. I am keen on the 3.0i. But seen some 2.0i’s around a 06 plate with 46k on the clock for same money. I will find the details and post.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by jabber » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Personally I would go for a 3.0 but thats up to you the z4 you posted looks a bit pricey I just traded in my 04 3.0 with 86k sat nav etc for £3
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Crazy Harry

Going to buy my first Z4

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Quite a few body mods. Don't let roof motor horror stories put you off there are a few forum members who can move the motor (for less than a good night out) and bring them back from dead!

Look for heated M sport seats - worth having and still cost a bundle to buy and fit if not already in the car. If I were looking at a mod-ed car I would go for one for sale on the forum. At least that way you get history - very often from more than one owner.