Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible weekend fast car / track toy?

First port of call for new members
AndreasJones

Post by AndreasJones » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:26 am

Hi All, from Cornwall.

Iv been after a caterham / mk indy type kit car for as long as I can remember. And want to be buying something for this summer.

However due to the amount of rain we have, I have talked myself out of a roof less car as it probably won't get enough use. I also can't really drive it from cornwall to upcountry race tracks & back again after a day of driving. (Can't be left out overnight at a hotel)

Anyway I have always loved my BMW's (currently have a f31 335d touring as main car) and especially the Z4 Coupe'.

Long story short, what would a Z4 3.0 si or very possibly a Z4m be like as a weekend fast car toy with a few track days a year? Drive to & from the track.

I have read lots of forums with some great advise & reviews but was hoping to get a bit more thoughts as to what they are really like on a track?

Are the 3.0 quick enough? What might it compare to a kit car?

Would you be possibly thinking about an E46 M3 instead?

I'm sorry for the long 1st thread & loads of questions.

Look forward to a few replies.

Thanks.

PS. Happy New Year everyone!

Quiet one for me this year as you can tell! :P

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:11 am

They work just fine on track coupe or roadster. E46 M3 might be better though. cheaper to buy in the first place and more stable and reassuring on long fast corners, that the Z4M. But it's a chunk heavier too. Zed is a lot more fun driving on the road that the M3 IMHO. As long as you get the roadster. :D :driving: :thumbsup:

Welcome by the way. Where in Cornwall are you? :)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 am

I'd say a turboed mx5 or an E46 M3 would be a better bet.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 am

Hi, you can’t compare a z4 to a caterham as a track day car, (or even a lotus Elise)
As an occasional car I don’t see why you couldn’t leave a caterham at a hotel? I’ve known people drive them across Europe, so I’m sure you’d be ok :thumbsup:
After all that, the z4 is a far better day to day/road car :P
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AndreasJones

Post by AndreasJones » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

BuzyG I'm in Wadebridge, where in Cornwall are you?

Rob. Your quite right, you can't really compare.

I guess what I was asking, from all your experience... For smile per mile, mainly road use with occasional track days, reliability, cost of consumables & servicing, all weather driving etc

What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

PeterZed

Post by PeterZed » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 pm

I would go for an MX5 , with a turbo or supercharger, proven route to track day fun and cheaper, or for the mentalist an engine upgrade to the V8 Chevy LS series motor........... it fits , the conversion already been done in the USA :)
'05 Sterling Grey manual 3.0, boot spoiler , mud flaps , wind deflector,elec memory seats,bluetooth
,satnav, computer,multi function wheel,folding mirrors.matt black rad grills MV3 wheels , and yes cup holders :-))

AndreasJones

Post by AndreasJones » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter.

I'm open to any suggestion other than MX5. I want a fun / good looking road car too.
I hate the MX5 Mk1 & 2.

So Mk3 would be ok but then I'm up similar money to a Z4. Would you still recommend one over a zed?

Thanks.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm in Saltash. Mx5 is much cheaper on consumables than a Z4M. But if it's only occasional track use, the Z4M is in a different league as a road car. Take a roadster out for a test drive, roof down and be sure to floor the throttle above 4.5 k rpm, in third if possible. Then go hunting. :wink:

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 pm

How many track days do you see yourself doing?

I have a 330 Ci for the track but I only did 4 days last year. Considering what I spent, I would have been better using the MR and upgrading the brakes, fluid etc. Not sure if the S54 is good for long term track use though, especially at higher mileages. That is why I got the 330.

H.
ImageImage

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:08 pm

It depends on your budget.
I have a Westfield track car that was cheap to buy, is light on tyres, and brakes and corners like nothing else I’ve driven. However, I’ve not used it as a road car for years as it’s tiny compared with any modern car and I value my life. That means I have to trailer it to track days.
I’ve also modified my Z4MC for track use and the performance is absolutely incredible. It can’t match the cornering speeds of my Westy (but it isn’t far off now with suspension upgrades and sticky tyres) but the high speed acceleration is far better. The net effect is that they’re neck and neck on the tight technical tracks but the ///M has the legs on longer circuits.
I’d avoid the E46 M3 unless you want an S54-engined car and can’t manage with a two seater. They simply aren’t as fast around any track as the Z4M and they lack the sense of occasion that every drive brings with the Zed.
A supercharged MX5 sounds a good suggestion, although I’ve never driven one myself.
Last edited by BMWZ4MC on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:11 pm

8D0D599C-687F-4A5F-A758-541B11AB141F.jpeg
8D0D599C-687F-4A5F-A758-541B11AB141F.jpeg (210.67 KiB) Viewed 703 times
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:12 pm

9EB55E3D-2F36-4D4D-ADF3-5C8302461A51.png
9EB55E3D-2F36-4D4D-ADF3-5C8302461A51.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 703 times
S2000 GT - gone

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Havard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 pmHow many track days do you see yourself doing?

I have a 330 Ci for the track but I only did 4 days last year. Considering what I spent, I would have been better using the MR and upgrading the brakes, fluid etc. Not sure if the S54 is good for long term track use though, especially at higher mileages. That is why I got the 330.

H.
I also have (half) an E46 330ci as a Trackday car. They're cheap to buy and run, generally tough, yet still fun. Yes an M is faster, but for me trackdays are about beating myself, not the other cars, so I don't need the fastest car.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I've just bought a z4 3.0 primarily for track use, after 4 years or so running various 3 series cars.

my thinkings were its 40bhp up and 100kgs down on a 328i, but will also benefit from more controlled suspension, lower CoG, and a generally more sporting drive. And, unlike the 328i, it actually feels like a sports car - proper low 2 seater, open top. Plus it had the advantage of using the exact same brakes and wheels as a 328i, so my track wheels can go straight on.

looked at a few other cars, but don't think theres anything better at its price point - I paid £3k for mine, any cheaper and you're looking at exclusively MX5s, MR2s or 3 series, and you need a fair few grand more to get into something potential better like an S2000, boxster, Elise/VX220 or a caterfield.

first trackday is in 3 weeks, so will let you know how I get on, only upgrades will be brake pads and tyres.