Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Elec window fault

First port of call for new members
T1zmiester

E89 Elec window fault

Post by T1zmiester » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi

Elec windows work on comfort entry and roof operation. Ie go up and down all 4. Passenger window works from switch up and down. However nothing works from the drivers master switch albeit the elec mirrors can still be controlled from the master switch.
Is there anyway of testing the switch with a multimeter to confirm continuity i.e. which pins carryout which functions.

I had the recall mod done under warranty regarding the positive battery lead behind the glovebox, problem only occurred after that, maybe coincidence

anyone help?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Elec window fault

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

T1zmiester wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:16 pm Hi

Elec windows work on comfort entry and roof operation. Ie go up and down all 4. Passenger window works from switch up and down. However nothing works from the drivers master switch albeit the elec mirrors can still be controlled from the master switch.
Is there anyway of testing the switch with a multimeter to confirm continuity i.e. which pins carryout which functions.

I had the recall mod done under warranty regarding the positive battery lead behind the glovebox, problem only occurred after that, maybe coincidence

anyone help?
Hi, if your issue only started after the dealer had worked on it I’d be straight back-was it immediately afterwards or after a period of time?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

T1zmiester

E89 Elec window fault

Post by T1zmiester » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm

It was after the dealer mod and I did contact them and they said bring it in, however it rectified itself so I didn't go back. They said that they couldn't see how the mod would have affected the elec windows and I must admit I tended to agree.
The Windows work fine when the roof is dropped so I know it's not the actuators
It's a control circuit problem I think and everything points to the master control panel in the drivers door. The part is expensive to buy so I wanted to run continuity checks on the old one first but don't know how the pins are configured to test whether the circuit makes and breaks when hitting a window button.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Elec window fault

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

I had a problem with a bad connection on the plug to the drivers door switch. I dropped the drivers window and wouldn't go up. So tried all down and all got stuck down. Good job wasn't raining. Just before i had intermittent fault and was thumping door panel to make the switches work. Took door panel off, cleaned the contacts with contact spray, made sure plug was firmly connected, no problem since.
From memory i think one pin wasn't quite fully home in the socket.

Steve S

E89 Elec window fault

Post by Steve S » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 am

My windows also played up after having the recall attended to back in May 2017. I contacted the dealer immediately I noticed a problem and they tried to reset all the settings, but to no avail. The next day they fitted a new ECU at their cost (with a new 3-year warranty) and all's been good ever since.
2010 S-Drive 35i 6-speed manual :driving: