Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW warranty and DIY work

First port of call for new members
jonas123

Post by jonas123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi all,

First post - just bought myself an E89 20i. Not quite the spec of some of the cars on here, but still shifts fine for me!

I managed to swing a 2 year warranty with the BMW dealer and the car has 18 months or so of the service inclusive pack left to run. The BMW warranty seems to be a bit of a minefield of T&Cs, one of which is that it has to be serviced by BMW. Fine by me but a couple of questions:
  • I assume I can do my own oil changes between services without affecting warranty
  • Can I change the brake pads / discs or does this have to be done by BMW to avoid warranty issues?
  • Is there a service interval list anywhere? It seems that BMW don't require these cars to be serviced that frequently which seems odd?
Thanks for your help

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi and welcome aboard :thumbsup:
Yes you can do your own oil changes without affecting warranty (Using the same spec oil/parts that BMW recommend)
You can change brake pads / discs yourself or use a indie, I believe the rear brakes can be a bit of a fight due to the E brake
Servicing is condition based and the car will tell you when its due :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

dario

Post by dario » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Brakes are easy, the warranty doesn't cover repairs on things that wear out (consumable) LOL and by definition brakes wear and i doubt they cover the discs unless they exploded or something. what is the excess level and is it fully comprehensive or drive train etc. You do need to be aware which one it is.

hope you enjoy the car.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 am

Unlike new car warranty BMW AUC warranty is underwritten with stipulations including main dealer servicing.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

dario

Post by dario » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:31 am

paddy wright wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 amUnlike new car warranty BMW AUC warranty is underwritten with stipulations including main dealer servicing.
Yes, if there is a problem on the braking system linings or discs that you want to claim on. Are there any service procedures that should be carried out on the brakes at the time of service 1 or 2?