Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking of buying a 2.5. Advice sought.

First port of call for new members
atreyu1

Post by atreyu1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 pm

That works out at approx 27 mpg, unless I've got my sums wrong. Which is highly likely. Is that £50 per 250 miles including commuting as well as pleasure?

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 pm

You would do better with a really well looked after 2.5 than a ropey 3.0 at the same price. Go for condition. When I bought mine last year the 3.0 was about £1000 more than the 2.5, and your driving style sounds the same as mine and believe me the 2.5 does not hang around!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:13 am

atreyu1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:29 pm I don't need pure power, my other car has more power than you could ever need and with a top speed approaching 180 mph is fast enough for most peoples needs. The 2.5 seems to be a nice balance between the slightly under powered 2 litre and the 3 litre. My one experience of driving one showed it to have a nice smooth tractable engine with enough power to cope with most situations. Someone told me many years ago that a straight 6 engine is probably the nicest engine configuration you could have, I'm sure that's still the case. I think it would be safe to say that with even with the 2 litre if you used all the power available to the max you would end up either very dead or locked up for a long time.
Hi, tell us more about your other car (along with some pics) :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 am

I was in your position 5years ago. I wanted a 2.5 for a combination of performance and mpg, but couldn't find one. Whereas there are plenty of 3.0 around (and with better basic spec).
The insurance and tax was the same between the 2.5 and 3.0, so I went for a 3.0si and haven't looked back.

Not trying to sway you, but just keep your options open.
Oh, and plenty of pics please.
Daz
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 am

atreyu1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 pm That works out at approx 27 mpg, unless I've got my sums wrong. Which is highly likely. Is that £50 per 250 miles including commuting as well as pleasure?
Its just commuting, a mix of a few A roads with plenty of traffic lights and B roads, then the fun twisty bits for the last couple of miles near home where it comes alive. Don't get to drive the weekend in it much as with kids in tow i need the X3 instead.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.