Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E86 ignition coils

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Zee4Coop

E86 ignition coils

Post by Zee4Coop » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Decided with 62k on the clock that I should change the spark plugs. Looked at several videos and it all appears very simple. So off we go! Immediately notice that the cover over the top of the engine is different to the ones on the videos. Once I got the cover off I can see another major difference. Where the videos show the tops of 6 ignition coils all in a neat row with no obstructions, my engine has what looks like an old style coil in between nos 3 and 4. Clearly it's nothing to do with ignition, maybe valve timing? I don't know. Anyway the point is that this mystery object 6 or 7 cm in diameter partially overlaps the ignition coils of nos 3 and 4 cylinders - not enough to stop them being removed, but more than enough to obstruct getting any kind of effective manual grip on them to remove them. As for using any mechanical assistance to grip and remove them - well they just look too fragile to me? So I got 1 & 2 changed with some difficulty and then struggled with 3 and 4 until I'd just about lost the will to live. 5 & 6 look like they're going to be recalcitrant too simply because they'e so far into the engine bay it's difficult to get any real pull on them. So suggestions on how I can get the coils out will be gratefully received please!!

2008 E86 3.0si VIN 68839
Current: Z4 Coupe 2008 Stratus Grey, cream leather, piano black dash.
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Gone but not forgotten:- Cooper S - electric blue, black leather, split rims
330d Coupe Black Sapphire red leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E86 ignition coils

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi, from memory do the coils have a hole in the part that flicks up to disconnect the wiring?
I would pass a long screwdriver through this hole & use it to lever the coil upwards and off :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zee4Coop

E86 ignition coils

Post by Zee4Coop » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey Rob - quick response thanks! Good suggestion and yes they do have a hole, but the whole of the top of the coil seems too fragile to take much in the way of leverage. I'll give it a go later in the week and let you know. Cheers Phil
Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E86 ignition coils

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Zee4Coop wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:09 pm Hey Rob - quick response thanks! Good suggestion and yes they do have a hole, but the whole of the top of the coil seems too fragile to take much in the way of leverage. I'll give it a go later in the week and let you know. Cheers Phil
They should be ok as that’s where they’re designed to be pulled up from, make sure that any movement generated by your lever (screwdriver) is straight up and not to one side.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zee4Coop

E86 ignition coils

Post by Zee4Coop » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:24 pm

I guess this is about having the confidence to apply enough force without breaking anything! Thanks again Rob! I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers Phil
Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Zee4Coop

E86 ignition coils

Post by Zee4Coop » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 am

Seasons greetings Rob! Followed your advice and had coils out in 2 mind. Saved me ages. If you're around North Yorkshire (Malton/Helmsley) anytime let me know I owe you at least one pint! Have a great 2019. Cheers Phil
Toyota C-HR Hybrid