Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New toy !!!

First port of call for new members
maxman

New toy !!!

Post by maxman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

With such low miles it must be like new. :thumbsup: You did well finding that one.

Trav

New toy !!!

Post by Trav » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Striven wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am I will get pics for you guys , I actually missed out the Porsche Boxter Spyder. It was so sanitised it just did nothing for me.
The Z4 has to be a long term keeper, it was like collecting a new car, but with a real gearbox :D
The Z is lovely. Lots of miles for you to enjoy then get all your money back in a few years. Impressive list of fast cars. Which Spyder was it? I have done the manual Cayman S 987.2 thing. I wouldn't describe it as sanitised. It covered ground in a very fine way. But I had never had an M car. Had a 130 and a 135i. But I kept finding myself drawn back to the Z on autotrader etc. I am hoping it will be a different kind of experience also. My first impression on taking it home was that it is better thing to be in than the Porsche. I loved the bonnet proportion out front. I expected it to be a bit like steering from the back seat of an old Capri. Not sure why I thought that. Although it may never give the mental turn in thrill of the Cayman it will give twice the thrill on the way out of the corners. I am glad that I am not the only one drawn to this car. Enjoy yours it looks a cracker. :thumbsup:
Z4MR A.W.

Striven

New toy !!!

Post by Striven » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:23 pm

The spyder was the 2000 or so Boxster Spyder with the flimsy fabric roof. Don’t get me wrong it was a fantastic car. But after doing some 1 to 1 track training the thing that struck me was that if you leave all the computers ON my mother could put in a hot lap. Actually exploring how ham fisted you could be at high speed on an airfield was kinda impressive BUT it made driving it feel a bit shallow.

I like cars that need a driver, my first real sports car was the TVR Tuscan with the Red Rose upgrade taking it to just shy of 400 bhp, that was a daily driver for 2 years and included long mororway journeys, lots of rain and some snow. It’s lack of any aids made every journey special. It was the first time I had a car where overtaking involved measured throttle input, not just floor it and go. 2 years, 30,000 miles , no breakdowns, tickets or crashes was a good innings. I then went to the Mk2 Elise 111s with the 156 bhp K series, it had a purity and delicacy unmatched by the TVR. With IZ rims , A048 tyres, Nitron suspension and adjustable anti roll bars it was a very different proposition to the TVR.
A couple of years in this led to the Lotus Exige Cup 240, now the handling finesse and dynamics were joined by the supercharged Toyota unit really lifting the power and putting real pace into the handling. This was again a daily driver as all my sports cars were.
After this the Boxster Spyder came along and although it was everything you expect it just did not thrill, it only lasted a year.
Recently I wanted something special, honest , and unlikely to ever be built again and this was where the Z4 came in. I doubt it will be kept to 2,000 miles a year but it will be special and certainly not the daily driver. It’s big brother is a black Land Rover Defender 110 that will do all the dirty work.
Previous
Volvo 360 GLS
BMW 318iS
Mercedes 230C
BMW 328 Cabrio
Audi S4 Avant
TVR Tuscan Red Rose
Lotus Elise 111S
Lotus Exige Cup 240
Porsche Boxster Spyder
Audi A3 eTron

Current
BMW Z4M roadster
BMW i3s

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

New toy !!!

Post by enzed4 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 am

Another Zed with blue calipers. Thought mine was the only oddball one :lol: .
Enjoy the new ///M, it looks great :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Striven

New toy !!!

Post by Striven » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am

How many others have blue callipers ? Was it an option?
Previous
Volvo 360 GLS
BMW 318iS
Mercedes 230C
BMW 328 Cabrio
Audi S4 Avant
TVR Tuscan Red Rose
Lotus Elise 111S
Lotus Exige Cup 240
Porsche Boxster Spyder
Audi A3 eTron

Current
BMW Z4M roadster
BMW i3s

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

New toy !!!

Post by enzed4 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 am

Striven wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am How many others have blue callipers ? Was it an option?
No, looks like some owners thought it was a good idea at one time or another. Mine are growing on me, and since they seem like a professional job (they look anodized) I'll probably leave them...... for now :?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Striven

New toy !!!

Post by Striven » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am

I thought they made a welcome change from red.
Previous
Volvo 360 GLS
BMW 318iS
Mercedes 230C
BMW 328 Cabrio
Audi S4 Avant
TVR Tuscan Red Rose
Lotus Elise 111S
Lotus Exige Cup 240
Porsche Boxster Spyder
Audi A3 eTron

Current