Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I want one!

First port of call for new members
CRAIGO

I want one!

Post by CRAIGO » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am

Hi all,

I’m returning to motoring after a 7 year break of driving an XTrail. I’ve had my kids and have decided to buy a cheap, fun Z4 for the odd commute and weekend blast.

I’ve come from MX5 ownership having owned three of them (mk1 import, mk2, mk2.5 sport) the mk1 was turbocharged and the mk2.5 sport was MP62 supercharged, stand-alone ECU, FMIC, dual throttles etc - a beast at 250Bhp!

I’m now here because I want the same driving experience i.e hood down, RWD, low slung, great sounding smile on your face experience but without the bags of rust and constant tweaks to tuning that I had with the MX5s.

I have a budget of 4K tops and would like a 2.5 or 3.0 ideally. It seems 2003-2005 cars can be had for around £3500 with approx 100k miles and full service history.

My question is - what are the areas I should be looking at for a potential purchase other than service history and MOT history? I.e hood motors or other specific Z4 weaknesses?

What are major service items such as clutch, timing chain/water pumps etc due and their associated costs?

Many thanks

Trav

I want one!

Post by Trav » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:13 am

Search updated buyers checklist by AlanJ. Good place to start anyway. I think he did a few other guides. Check his signature bar.
Z4MR A.W.

Dave 2 dogs

I want one!

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Craigo
Hope you find something nice
These are just so much fun mate
Let us know how you get on and of course ( we need pictures) :driving: :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

I want one!

Post by firebobby » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, now is a good time to buy and there should be plenty of choice. Where are you based, see if you can go for a drive with a forum member.
The roof motors fail because of the place BMW put it, these can easily be moved to the boot and its a much better location. A dead roof motor can be revamped to. This could be used as a bargaining chip if you find a good car with a dead roof.
Rear springs break, but are very easy to exchange.
Try and get a car with as many toys as possible, M sport seats are saught after but you really want heated seats.
Headlights go hazy and can be sorted with a bit of effort.
The six cylinder engine is a peach.
Good luck with the hunt
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

CRAIGO

I want one!

Post by CRAIGO » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I’m in Manchester and the offer of a 3.0l drive out with a local member would be amazing. I’m in love with the induction noise on these engines - the hunt has now been narrowed to a 3.0 based on that grunty noise and the fact the insurance was cheaper by £50 vs the 2.5! (£255 fully comp!)

Thank you so much for the advice all - pics will be up the second I find a nice one. I’m hoping to use the time off at Xmas holidays to do some travelling and visit some cars as they all seem to be centrally located around the Birmingham area.

Cheers

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

I want one!

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Good luck with the holiday hunting - good choice narrowing in on the 3 ltr :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S