Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Greetings from Bedfordshire

First port of call for new members
rossonr

Post by rossonr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 am

Where abouts are you in bedfordshire
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am

Ive had my 2.5 for almost 8 years now and it's been great. It's about to turn 100k mile and for the time I've owned it (54k miles), it's been pretty much faultless. The two questionable non wear and tear items are, faulty alarm switch (£11 & 5 mins) and a water damaged roof motor, easily and cheaply fixed by some forum members, however you may have to travel a bit. I do my own basic servicing, oil, plugs, filters, brakes, discs and odds and sods, pretty straightforward stuff and easy to work on.

I find the car has plenty of go and is a joy to drive on either the motorway or the twisties, the latter of course being preferable.

I never get below 30mpg in mine, long road trips more toward mid 30's.

Common problems include broken rear springs (pretty cheap fix), and the previously mentioned roof motor. Air bag lights too can be a PITA.

ERX

Post by ERX » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Lance wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am Ive had my 2.5 for almost 8 years now and it's been great. It's about to turn 100k mile and for the time I've owned it (54k miles), it's been pretty much faultless. The two questionable non wear and tear items are, faulty alarm switch (£11 & 5 mins) and a water damaged roof motor, easily and cheaply fixed by some forum members, however you may have to travel a bit. I do my own basic servicing, oil, plugs, filters, brakes, discs and odds and sods, pretty straightforward stuff and easy to work on.

I find the car has plenty of go and is a joy to drive on either the motorway or the twisties, the latter of course being preferable.

I never get below 30mpg in mine, long road trips more toward mid 30's.

Common problems include broken rear springs (pretty cheap fix), and the previously mentioned roof motor. Air bag lights too can be a PITA.
Good to hear it has been so reliable for you. What year is your car? And them common faults I can live with, I am just hoping I won't run into anything big in my ownership!

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 am

Mines a 53 plate.

ERX

Post by ERX » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Lance wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 am Mines a 53 plate.
That is impressive then, it is nice to hear it has been so reliable.

A question to anyone reading this, I was going to purchase the car on Friday, under the impression it is an 04 plate (it has a private plate on it), but just realised it was registered in June of 2003. Would the age put anyone here off from buying it, even if it seems to be a well maintained vehicle? I know it is only one year extra, but I'd just only convinced myself that 04 isn't too old! Feeling pretty gutted right now :cry:

ERX

Post by ERX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Going to check the car out tomorrow, paying a mechanic £120 to check it out for me so I hope it's not a waste.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Red-L ... SwB15alYn3

Here is the link to the car if anyone would be kind enough to provide their thoughts on it.

Thanks!

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Looks from the ad, that someone has ironed out any main issues you could get, (the roof motor etc) looks like a nice example, lets hope you enjoy the drive :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ERX

Post by ERX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm Looks from the ad, that someone has ironed out any main issues you could get, (the roof motor etc) looks like a nice example, lets hope you enjoy the drive :D
Yeah, it seems good from the ad so I am hoping it holds up true in real life :D it all sounds good but it has been on sale since February 21st for whatever reason and yes let's hope so!:D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:15 am

Looks good OP, and I love the red leather! Plus it seems to have had an enthusiast owner if the roof motor has been moved.

I sold a 325ti a month ago with the same M54 2.5 litre engine that had done 103K miles and still ran really sweet. I bought it in November 2014 on 80K miles and apart from servicing it only needed a cooling system refresh a few months after I bought it (typical) and a new PAS pipe.

Roadsters don't generally sell quickly when we have snow, so I wouldn't be too concerned about how long it's been advertised for!

I hope it lives up to expectations - then you can post some photos! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:15 am Looks good OP, and I love the red leather! Plus it seems to have had an enthusiast owner if the roof motor has been moved.

I sold a 325ti a month ago with the same M54 2.5 litre engine that had done 103K miles and still ran really sweet. I bought it in November 2014 on 80K miles and apart from servicing it only needed a cooling system refresh a few months after I bought it (typical) and a new PAS pipe.

Roadsters don't generally sell quickly when we have snow, so I wouldn't be too concerned about how long it's been advertised for!

I hope it lives up to expectations - then you can post some photos! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! And I suppose you are right, most people like to wait until the sun comes out to go roadster shopping :D And I hope so too, looks like the viewing has been changed to Saturday now though, so hopefully on Saturday a picture of my car will be going up :wink:

I was wondering what you guys think, the car is actually being sold by one of those private types of dealers. As in, it was bought from the original private owner by another gentleman who just sells on cars for a profit but without actually being a real dealer. Would you guys avoid this kind of seller or go for it if it seems to be the right car?

Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 am

Well I bought my 325i Touring from a fireman who was also probably what you would describe as a "private trader".

He had trade plates so wasn't just selling from the street - he said he used to work at a Mercedes main agent and got most of his stock from main agents who took part-exs that they wouldn't put on their forecourt.

If you like it and it seems to be the right car for the right money I wouldn't worry too much about who is selling it!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:34 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 am Well I bought my 325i Touring from a fireman who was also probably what you would describe as a "private trader".

He had trade plates so wasn't just selling from the street - he said he used to work at a Mercedes main agent and got most of his stock from main agents who took part-exs that they wouldn't put on their forecourt.

If you like it and it seems to be the right car for the right money I wouldn't worry too much about who is selling it!
Haha fair enough! I might ask this gentleman about how he picks his cars or something, see what he says. I am not sure why but I always overthink these kind of situations and start to think of what can be wrong with the car :D I guess I will find out soon, fingers crossed it's all good :D

Oh and another question (I apologise to everyone for asking so much), on the MOT history there was an oil leak from the engine at one point, the seller said this was due to the rocker cover gaskets which have been sorted now. I was wondering how much oil could have actually leaked and would it have been enough to cause any harm to the engine? Or do these cars have an oil indicator which would warn if the oil was too low? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 am

Rocker cover gaskets do leak and they do get worse (a job to do on mine this spring). Very unlikely it'd leak enough to cause big oils losses and affect the engine. I'm out of the UK at the moment so can't check, however I'm pretty sure mine has a low oil or low oil pressure light at ignition, which I guess would then light up if too low. I check my oil every 2 weeks and occasionally have to top up, but only around half a litre between changes.

I presume you've HPI checked the car? Haven't used it for a while, but I used to use 83600. Text the reg to that number and they give you basic details, colour changes, insurance, police interest. It was £3.50 a text. Like I said, not used for quite a few years, your choice.

Good luck with the viewing :thumbsup:

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Lance wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 am Rocker cover gaskets do leak and they do get worse (a job to do on mine this spring). Very unlikely it'd leak enough to cause big oils losses and affect the engine. I'm out of the UK at the moment so can't check, however I'm pretty sure mine has a low oil or low oil pressure light at ignition, which I guess would then light up if too low. I check my oil every 2 weeks and occasionally have to top up, but only around half a litre between changes.
Okay that is good to hear thanks :)
Lance wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 am I presume you've HPI checked the car? Haven't used it for a while, but I used to use 83600. Text the reg to that number and they give you basic details, colour changes, insurance, police interest. It was £3.50 a text. Like I said, not used for quite a few years, your choice.

Good luck with the viewing :thumbsup:
Yeah I have had it checked, and it has come up all clear :) and thanks, I will put an update in this thread when I finally get that viewing done :D

ERX

Post by ERX » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:27 am

Well I viewed the car today guys. A bit rougher than I imagined it would be. Bad respray on the rear quarter panel and the left tail light also has a small crack in it. Middle tail light also seems to damaged as it is sitting loosely. I was surprised the by the interior as there was a lot of cracked/flakey looking leather around the handbrake and the gear knob was pretty badly worn out for 59k miles. It felt sort of rubbery too when shifting, I am not sure if this is normal as it's the only one I have felt. Also only 4 records of it being serviced, 3 stamps and then one invoice. Oh and around the roof, there is a seal that seems to be damaged on both sides, he told me it happens when they removed the roof to change the motor and says it's a cheap fix, but I am not sure. Got a picture of it though if anyone would have a look for me :) and also the roof rattles when it's down, not sure if that is a common one. Would be great to hear what you guys think :)