Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do not comment on spam posts please!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Do not comment on spam posts please!

Post by ranski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote:
ranski wrote:empty profile - dodgy looking email account...?
:tumbleweed: Image
Dave you seem to be shocked or offended?

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Just so you're aware guys I did try to delete all these posts and ban them all this morning but didn't work. Short or time to sort it out.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Ranski I think you missed the pun. How WOOD you know. A play on SPAM-DO-NOT-CLICK---PLEASE-CLICK-REPORT-POST BUTTON
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 am

I have had a look at the suggested mod but it is incredibly invasive to the core files so for now I have decided to not use it. The software we use is great for the large part but it has the worst plugin system I have ever seen (pretty much none existent) in forum software. The new version is hopefully around the corner and has a much more advanced system of hooks for plugins to use. This will hopefully mean we can upgrade and take some plugins that will improve the site and help prevent spammers.

The problem with taking complex plugins (as I have experienced in the past) is they alter lots of core files and when a security release comes out you have to either manually reverse all the changes first or risk the forum breaking. This is not so bad for small "tweaks" but for something complicated it could take hours to pick through the errors.

Hopefully this explains our current situation. In the mean time please keep on reporting the spam posts, it helps us a lot and makes them much easier to delete the posts and ban the users.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am

I had the same problems when I ran a forum based on Simplemachines. All was fine until you strayed away from any default settings (colour schemes etc) then as you say some mods were a nightmare. I installed a second copy of the software in /testforum with a prefix test_ in front of the MySQL tables, so I could test stuff before rolling it into 'prod'.
E46 M3 SMG. Photo (c) Bing :-)
Previously E85 3.0 SE

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 am

TrickyDicky wrote:I had the same problems when I ran a forum based on Simplemachines. All was fine until you strayed away from any default settings (colour schemes etc) then as you say some mods were a nightmare. I installed a second copy of the software in /testforum with a prefix test_ in front of the MySQL tables, so I could test stuff before rolling it into 'prod'.
Absolutely, although I find SMF and MyBB easier to manage as they have a proper mature plugin system, so you can easily disable the plugins, run the upgrade and then re-enable the plugins. Comparatively phpBB is a bit of a nightmare.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm

In not sure where this spam originates from, but could you look at banning IP ranges?

I think a word filter on the SPAM-DO-NOT-CLICK---PLEASE-CLICK-REPORT-POST BUTTON URL, whilst not stopping the spam, would render it pointless?
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am

Liam-O wrote:In not sure where this spam originates from, but could you look at banning IP ranges?

I think a word filter on the SPAM-DO-NOT-CLICK---PLEASE-CLICK-REPORT-POST BUTTON URL, whilst not stopping the spam, would render it pointless?
Good idea Liam, I will implement that on top of several other preventative measures I have taken over the past 24h to kill this off.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 am

sp3ctre wrote:
Liam-O wrote:In not sure where this spam originates from, but could you look at banning IP ranges?

Good idea Liam, I will implement that on top of several other preventative measures I have taken over the past 24h to kill this off.
Does that mean "kitchen" is now on the naughty words list ? ;)

Tapatalking...
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 am

bump
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for doing a great job with this. The spam we have been getting recently has been swiftly reported and has been easy to remove. It makes a hell of a difference for us so just wanted to say thanks for reporting them!

As a quick reminder, the report post button is on the right, it's a small red exclamation mark in a triangle :)

the cueball

Post by the cueball » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Not really helping me get a new kitchen though!!! :rofl: :p

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm

You should move the best into a section only members can access. Then we can all giggle and comment like the kids we are :)
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:You should move the best into a section only members can access. Then we can all giggle and comment like the kids we are :)
I like this idea :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Derby Z4

Post by Derby Z4 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 am

Bing wrote:
Stuart Truman wrote:You should move the best into a section only members can access. Then we can all giggle and comment like the kids we are :)
I like this idea :lol:
Bing,Don't you mean IKEA ? :lol: