Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"newbies" and for sale threads

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Hello,
What about making the "cars for sale" section chargeable to new users? Maybe a tenner donation if you have less than 20 posts, or have been a user for less than 30 days (as an example)?
There are a lot of people using this forum as free advertising to try to sell their cars with no intention of getting involved. I understand the thinking of "it could be a way of encouraging new members from the sale" but doesn't seem to be happening.
If a small "donation" was required it would still give the seller a more focused audience than main stream selling sites for less outlay and would help the coffers, surely?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 am

It is a shame that some people only join to sell their cars and have missed out on a great community, but at the end of the day if a forum member ends up with a cracking motor at a good price then I’d rather have them here than not.

BTM1988

Post by BTM1988 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 am

At a tenner a time it would be a deterrent to advertise here and I would stick to Facebook marketplace for free. At £2/2.50, it would probably generate more people willing to advertise.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 am

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 am It is a shame that some people only join to sell their cars and have missed out on a great community, but at the end of the day if a forum member ends up with a cracking motor at a good price then I’d rather have them here than not.
This is my point of view their loss our gain :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 am

I think forums like this are a free to use resource..my past experience of charging anything deters most people.

Forum members get access to Zeds they may not have seen elsewhere.

Just regard it as an act of benevolence!

Ming

Post by Ming » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 am

I've been on some sites where you have to attain a certain amount of posts before you can advertise a vehicle. That was the case with the Audi TT forum and it annoyed me as I couldn't get access to the for sale section to see what was on offer, as I would have preferred a forum's owner car.

Their loss, Z4 forum gained. I found a car privately but at least I had some knowledge of the vehicle before I bought it.
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

SV8Predator

Post by SV8Predator » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 am I’d rather have them here than not.
Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 am Forum members get access to Zeds they may not have seen elsewhere.
The above two posts are right on the money. If we charge for advertising, we lose the advertising. Owners adrvertising their cars on here are a major benefit to the forum, and should be encouraged.

It's to our advantage, just as much as theirs.
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 pm

People may be advertising their e85 and then looking to upgrade to a larger lump or an e89 so why stop them advertising, they may stick around or buy another forum members car.

How many people come on here say they are looking for XYZ, buy a car and are never seen again, just as bad.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm

I think what Ming mentioned could possibly work, that you have to be with the Forum a certain amount of time before you can advertise anything for sale. I'd rather do business with someone who's made a contribution to the Forum with a trackable history than someone new who's here just to sell something and then disappear.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 pm

I bought my 35is from someone who only joined to sell it, it was the right spec and colour combination that I was looking for, he’d only previously advertised it on Facebook which I probably wouldn’t have seen, so I think I did well out it
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:57 pm

I tend to do my own sort of penalty system for new members joining to sell :evil:

For existing or long-standing members I'll keep my negative comments to myself and offer only positively view - unless it's a really funny comment and I can't help myself (or a really badly modified car) :fuelfire:

For new users, with no 'welcome post' I'll try to constructively point out any issues in their ad, and see how they respond. If they're happy to get involved and answer the queries, then great...and it gives a potential buyer more information...and the newbie is then a welcome member of the community :thumbsup:

If they don't get involved, then I just write them off and never offer any more assistance/guidance, as they're unlikely to come back to answer and genuine questions from interested parties either :thumbsdown:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm

SV8Predator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 pm gadgetJunky72 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 am
I’d rather have them here than not.
Pbondar wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 am
Forum members get access to Zeds they may not have seen elsewhere.

The above two posts are right on the money. If we charge for advertising, we lose the advertising. Owners adrvertising their cars on here are a major benefit to the forum, and should be encouraged.

It's to our advantage, just as much as theirs.
My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black