Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Limit the edit time

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
scootr

Limit the edit time

Post by scootr » Sun May 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Unfortunately a member has erased his posts. The result is diminished value of the discussion(s) effected. The result is a diminished value of the board content. It is generally accepted that content posted on a discussion board is the property of that board and that board should act now to protect itself from future theft of it's content and value.
Limit the user edit feature to 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week... what ever you feel is appropriate. Obviously if the OP found the information was incorrect and needed changing an administrator could assist in such useful corrections. But what happened just now could be avoided, no ... prevented in the future. GL and GD

In the meantime you want to limit this person's access to the board before more community content is removed.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Tinker15

Limit the edit time

Post by Tinker15 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm

scootr wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:07 pm In the meantime you want to limit this person's access to the board before more community content is removed.
Too late was the cry! 😏 It appears he has done a pretty comprehensive job already. Sadly this reflects badly on him rather than other members of this board. However I guess this is a difficult thing for the moderators to stop if a poster is determined to delete his posts.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

scootr

Limit the edit time

Post by scootr » Sun May 24, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm on another board where this change was made and it was effective against a repeat event by another member.
Last edited by scootr on Sun May 24, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Bing
Legend
Legend

Limit the edit time

Post by Bing » Sun May 24, 2020 3:05 pm

I’ve changed my mind. Being able to edit later is a good thing. Hence I’ve edited this post a day later :lol:
Last edited by Bing on Mon May 25, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Limit the edit time

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 pm

I'm just gutted an awful lot of useful information has disappeared due to what maybe was just a misunderstanding, exacerbated by a language difference.

To quote Captain Darling from Blackadder Goes Forth - "Made a note in my diary today. Simply said 'bugger'!"
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

maxman

Limit the edit time

Post by maxman » Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 pm

The suggestion by scootr is a good one.Just a pity we are wise in hindsight .

Wondermike

Limit the edit time

Post by Wondermike » Sun May 24, 2020 6:55 pm

For good reasons, stuff like for-sale posts and in the meets/events forum do need editing quite long after they’ve been first posted.

We have over the years only had a handful of exits like this.

Pbondar

Limit the edit time

Post by Pbondar » Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm

If a guy wants to take his posts down then why can't he?

He can't remove other people's posts can he which often carry his posts embedded in them?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Limit the edit time

Post by buzyg » Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Personally I prefer things the way they are. I quite often Edit post days after I first wrote them, when I spot a spelling error or such. I have edited a few trip reports years later, after photo hosting sites have changed their rules. Yes you get he odd person mucking things up, but they can only do it to their own posts.

The walking forum I use closes editing after a couple of hours. It drives me nuts, as it can sometimes take two or three goes and several hours to put a decent trip report together and It ends up spread over more than one post, which looks tosh.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Limit the edit time

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am

Wondermike wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:55 pm For good reasons, stuff like for-sale posts and in the meets/events forum do need editing quite long after they’ve been first posted.

We have over the years only had a handful of exits like this.
Yes I think it was triggered more by the quality and content of the removed posts in this case. A real shame he stormed off and took his ball with him.

Maybe if anyone finds his information embedded in other posts, we could create a 'collection thread' and dump it all in there so it doesn't get lost?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Limit the edit time

Post by Silverstar » Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am

What have I missed? was it RobbieZ4 who stormed off? why?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Limit the edit time

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am What have I missed? was it RobbieZ4 who stormed off? why?
Yup. Taken every item from every one of his posts with him so that's all the E89 roof knowledge gone!
Had a spat with Flybobby which I'd guess was possibly down to a language barrier, coupled with an inability, on both sides, to be clear and concise about their questions and answers.
When someone poses a question, but makes it look like a statement of fact, and then the other person responds with an 'I already told you so! But if you don't believe/listen' then unfortunately it all goes bad.
Could see it coming, but no amount of humorous defusing or guiding back on track seemed to be working.
Two very clued up people running close together, in parallel, but may as well have been a 12ft wall between them when it came to sharing their thoughts.
The saddest part is that if they had been clearer in their discussions, questions and answers then everybody would have benefited from it.
I'm sure both would say they were being perfectly clear, and therein lies the problem.

I harboured some hopes that Robbi may come back, but now he's taken everything off the forum, I think that's end of story. :(

scootr

Limit the edit time

Post by scootr » Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 pm

I guess when my roof goes bad I'll sell the car for scrap and get something better. Thanks for sharing Robbi, you spoiled arse. :fuelfire: :rofl:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Silverzedtom

Limit the edit time

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Personally I like that posts can be edited, it allows guides and informative opening posts to remain up to date and any clarification can be added etc. Very useful if a hosting site loses / removes a picture (remember the photobucket issue?)

If editing was locked after a set amount of time it might make life harder for the mods too as people will start requesting that their posts are deleted or changed. Just my thoughts :)
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Silverstar

Limit the edit time

Post by Silverstar » Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm
Silverstar wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am What have I missed? was it RobbieZ4 who stormed off? why?
Yup. Taken every item from every one of his posts with him so that's all the E89 roof knowledge gone!
Had a spat with Flybobby which I'd guess was possibly down to a language barrier, coupled with an inability, on both sides, to be clear and concise about their questions and answers.
When someone poses a question, but makes it look like a statement of fact, and then the other person responds with an 'I already told you so! But if you don't believe/listen' then unfortunately it all goes bad.
Could see it coming, but no amount of humorous defusing or guiding back on track seemed to be working.
Two very clued up people running close together, in parallel, but may as well have been a 12ft wall between them when it came to sharing their thoughts.
The saddest part is that if they had been clearer in their discussions, questions and answers then everybody would have benefited from it.
I'm sure both would say they were being perfectly clear, and therein lies the problem.

I harboured some hopes that Robbi may come back, but now he's taken everything off the forum, I think that's end of story. :(
That is a real shame, as you say probably all down to miscommunications due to language barriers.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red