Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum Arguments

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
jimmybell

Forum Arguments

Post by jimmybell » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 am

RustyZ4 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am Just to point out, you have spelt "arguments" wrong :exitright:
:rofl:
Fair point. i think when curating the title i backtracked from 'People who argue unnecessarily' and didn't delete the 'e' 8)
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Arguments

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am

jimmybell wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 am :rofl:
Fair point. i think when curating the title i backtracked from 'People who argue unnecessarily' and didn't delete the 'e' 8)
You don't get it, do you? You're not supposed to say "fair point", you're supposed to offer to fight him!!!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

rally-chris

Forum Arguments

Post by rally-chris » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am

Instead of a three day cooling off period, perhaps offenders could be consigned to an eternity on the Pistonheads forums instead. Honestly, even the most heated threads on this forum are nothing compared to the willy waggling and sniping that goes on routinely on PH threads!
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by Marlon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 am

rally-chris wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am Instead of a three day cooling off period, perhaps offenders could be consigned to an eternity on the Pistonheads forums instead. Honestly, even the most heated threads on this forum are nothing compared to the willy waggling and sniping that goes on routinely on PH threads!
I don't frequent any other forums, however this an interesting observation.
Personally I am amazed at how civil this forum is considering the thousands of members and the potential for individuals to be offensive behind their keyboards. Perhaps its not as 'civil' as it used to be in the early days - I can't comment as I wasn't there, however its still remarkably courteous and self-policing imo
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am

Marlon wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 am
rally-chris wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am Instead of a three day cooling off period, perhaps offenders could be consigned to an eternity on the Pistonheads forums instead. Honestly, even the most heated threads on this forum are nothing compared to the willy waggling and sniping that goes on routinely on PH threads!
I don't frequent any other forums, however this an interesting observation.
Personally I am amazed at how civil this forum is considering the thousands of members and the potential for individuals to be offensive behind their keyboards. Perhaps its not as 'civil' as it used to be in early days - I can't comment as I wasn't there, however its still remarkably courteous and self-policing imo
This is why I believe it’s worth discussing, as 99.9% on here will listen & provide improved suggestions

Long may we self regulate with minimal Mod intervention
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Pastry

Forum Arguments

Post by Pastry » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am

Can’t we just stick the offenders in stocks at Zedfest ? :D
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

jimmybell

Forum Arguments

Post by jimmybell » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 am

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 am
tomscott wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am Unfortunately becoming more and more common.
It is, and like always there is a fine line between allowing people to express themselves and shutting down troublemakers. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't.
Don't get me wrong - i fully appreciate (and have done forum/irc/various moderation of public discussion myself in the past) it's not easy and you probably have a life outside of policing internet fights. It's very appreciated. I just don't like the loss of a topic, when caused by unrelated pointless conversation.

Thanks for cleaning/unlocking. It's a shame you had to be involved (hence my suggestion of the naughty step and apology requirements).

I would say i'm not that concerned with 'who instigated', 'who started', hence my "anyone that instigates or perpetuates" in direct member->member attacks. In theory that should also be allowed, the right to offend and be offended etc, but some people can't handle being offended (and very personal attacks aren't really 'opinion') - so if the rest of the forum loses out because of those people, they should loose the right. There are ways of saying things, and ways to read things - this is the internet, not real life, so the normal rules don't apply - but that doesn't mean you get to get away with being a Grade A Bellend.

--

I don't think PH gets THAT personal - though certainly off-topic. It's so vast it has some element of self policing (dare to say something ridiculous and you'll get drowned out by the topic or taken to the cleaners in a debate). I don't think many PH members lose sleep over their e-fights.

On here people take things to heart, and there isn't enough posts to prevent one or two people derailing things across the forum (see past z4-forum personal battles that spread across multiple threads/sections).
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
--

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 am

I’m just really miffed my suggestion to have a drag race Fast n Furious style with ‘pinkies’ to sort it out got removed.

I’d recommended Lynchy provided navigation directions, then we’d had real fun

Lifer 54

jimmybell

Forum Arguments

Post by jimmybell » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:20 am

Jembo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 am I’m just really miffed my suggestion to have a drag race Fast n Furious style with ‘pinkies’ to sort it out got removed.

I’d recommended Lynchy provided navigation directions, then we’d had real fun
It does seem like a fair z4-like way of solving issues, i'm all for it.

We should do more drives around the South, Fond memories of 10 x Z4s doing U-turns on busy roads after being guided entirely the wrong direction out of the starting car park. Everyone from way back then seems to have entirely new cars too - be fun to see what everyone has.
--

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am
jimmybell wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 am :rofl:
You don't get it, do you? You're not supposed to say "fair point", you're supposed to offer to fight him!!!
And that's from our beloved leader :rofl:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:32 pm

For what it’s worth I’ll offer my sincere apologies for being part of derailing the Brexit post, firstly to Exdos, then to the mods for having to deal with it, then members for reading it.

For my part my post was a bit OTT in my dislike of Corbyn, ok noted, it was a daft jokey post but ok, I won’t be so outrageous again, but to be attacked in that manner was ridiculous imho, and I’m not the sort to just lay down and be steamrolled by anyone. The 2nd member to join in was simply out to have a pop at me, the first time we ever spoke he poked me for having less power in my Boxster than a Z4 M, which isnt a problem at all, but then went on to tell me I didn’t know how my own car feels to me. It’s not the first time he’s been arrogant either, he had a big spat with D4Dawg who has now left the forum.

If we want harmony on here people like this who are simply out to be a keyboard warrior need reigning in, there’s no need for such stupidity.

Anyway my apologies members for my part.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

jimmybell

Forum Arguments

Post by jimmybell » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:32 pm For what it’s worth I’ll offer my sincere apologies for being part of derailing the Brexit post, firstly to Exdos, then to the mods for having to deal with it, then members for reading it.

For my part my post was a bit OTT in my dislike of Corbyn, ok noted, it was a daft jokey post but ok, I won’t be so outrageous again, but to be attacked in that manner was ridiculous imho, and I’m not the sort to just lay down and be steamrolled by anyone. The 2nd member to join in was simply out to have a pop at me, the first time we ever spoke he poked me for having less power in my Boxster than a Z4 M, which isnt a problem at all, but then went on to tell me I didn’t know how my own car feels to me. It’s not the first time he’s been arrogant either, he had a big spat with D4Dawg who has now left the forum.

If we want harmony on here people like this who are simply out to be a keyboard warrior need reigning in, there’s no need for such stupidity.

Anyway my apologies members for my part.
I think the key is not to rise to it. You're entitled to an opinion, someone shouldn't insult you for having it, but if you respond in kind to said insult - you end up as bad as them and we end up with a forum we don't want to read.

One alternative would be to have a 'slanging match' subforum where those threads are moved. Taking more of a popcorn and armchair entertainment approach to arguments, we could then opt in to reading it. Rules being 'creative insults only'. The downside is still the loss of a derailed thread but the upside is it becomes comedy (at the expense of the participants). :rofl:

Any 'my car is better than yours' trolling should just be taken as banter... doesn't matter who you are in the world, someone will always have bigger and better toys than you.
--

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Forum Arguments

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm

There must be a way I can turn his thread into a Coupe Vs Roadster war. :evil: or maybe I should just mention whippies. :wink:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:42 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm There must be a way I can turn his thread into a Coupe Vs Roadster war. :evil: or maybe I should just mention whippies. :wink:
Yes do it buzy....that’s always good for a giggle... :lol: :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguments

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm

But why, the Coupe’s have already won the battle :fuelfire:

Lifer 54