Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum Arguments

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
jimmybell

Forum Arguments

Post by jimmybell » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:47 pm

If people reduce a thread to argument or petty handbags, can we simply ban them until they realise they are the problem?

Anyone that resorts to insults or direct attacks on other members, or anyone that perpetuates such drivel and takes threads entirely off topic should just be banned. If people have a narcissistic desire to argue in a public place rather than fill their private inboxes with their own crap chat, when nobody else gives a rats ass - just ban them.

24 hour ban, 7 day ban, permanent ban (with warning), whatever. Perhaps removal of a ban should be on condition of an apology post to all the other members' and mods time they've wasted.

The recent brexit thread (largely derailed due to petty cat fighting rather than the expected political disagreement) being locked just serves to provide a permanent memorial for these morons weak twaddle of an argument and doesn't allow the rest of us simpletons to bring it back on topic and continue with life.

Anyway, i think my point is this kind of moderation doesn't help, or fix the problem, and in fact just contributes to building an uneditable archive of embarrassing crap that makes the forum look awful whilst the perpetrators continue to have access to repeat their actions.

</rant>
Last edited by jimmybell on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by Chris_D » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:01 am

You're wrong. Just wrong.
So wrong, I can't believe how wrong you are.
:lol: :rofl:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Forum Arguements

Post by Bing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 am

That particular topic reads like two completely separate posts smashed together. It makes for ridiculous - and rather cringy - reading. There should definitely be an instant naughty step for such juvenile behaviour, and it’s a shame there is no way to keep what was an otherwise intelligent discussion alive. I’d be proper pissed if it was my thread that was destroyed by that sort of behaviour.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am

Nothing worse than a thread being dragged off topic....

Now I've got that off my chest, did anyone watch 'Britain's Parking Hell' on Channel 5?....
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Havard

Forum Arguements

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 am

Ooh, must go and read.
ImageImage

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 am

I did have a good read...and chuckle

Which reminds me as to why I don’t really rate any side or any party to do a particularly stellar job

I sometimes think I could do a better job myself but I’d hate to live in London, even at number 10 so a vote for Adam is never happening!
Lotus Exige 350

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am

Bing wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 am That particular topic reads like two completely separate posts smashed together. It makes for ridiculous - and rather cringy - reading. There should definitely be an instant naughty step for such juvenile behaviour, and it’s a shame there is no way to keep what was an otherwise intelligent discussion alive. I’d be proper pissed if it was my thread that was destroyed by that sort of behaviour.
Woah you got gold stars now? That’s a thing?!

Hope family is good mate
Lotus Exige 350

EssexZed

Forum Arguements

Post by EssexZed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 am

jimmybell wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:47 pm If people reduce a thread to argument or petty handbags, can we simply ban them until they realise they are the problem?

Anyone that resorts to insults or direct attacks on other members, or anyone that perpetuates such drivel and takes threads entirely off topic should just be banned. If people have a narcissistic desire to argue in a public place rather than fill their private inboxes with their own crap chat, when nobody else gives a rats ass - just ban them.

24 hour ban, 7 day ban, permanent ban (with warning), whatever. Perhaps removal of a ban should be on condition of an apology post to all the other members' and mods time they've wasted.

The recent brexit thread (largely derailed due to petty cat fighting rather than the expected political disagreement) being locked just serves to provide a permanent memorial for these morons weak twaddle of an argument and doesn't allow the rest of us simpletons to bring it back on topic and continue with life.

Anyway, i think my point is this kind of moderation doesn't help, or fix the problem, and in fact just contributes to building an uneditable archive of embarrassing crap that makes the forum look awful whilst the perpetrators continue to have access to repeat their actions.

</rant>
Hear, hear! :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Arguements

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 am

I take your point (rant), and there is always a balance to be struck. When you take the route of reprimanding people it is quite often subjective as to where it started. Taking this thread as an example, was the original rant about Jeremy Corbyn the instigating post? It was not abuse aimed at anyone on this forum, it was a rant against a political figure... Someone took offence and it escalated from there. In the end both parties were just as bad as each other but by then there was quite a mess to unpick.

Last night I was pretty busy so wouldn't have had the time to unpick the bad posts, reprimand people, ban people (which rarely works, for a number of reasons). The long and the short of it is sometimes it is easier to lock the thread and walk away for a while.

In this case I have had a look and spent 10 minutes unpicking the good from the bad... 10 minutes I won't get back. Sometimes mods have the time and inclination to do this, sometimes they don't. Just because a mod locks something doesn't always mean they don't agree that there was some element of good discussion going on.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am

Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:47 am

It’s a simple matter if you make a statement or opinion, when challenged you either back it up with facts or admit you’re wrong - that’s the fundamental basics of a Forum.

I applaud anyone who holds unacceptable behaviour to account, questions it & asks the person to explain themselves.

One point of view was fundamentally never explained or justified, but worst of all as mentioned above a highly interesting thread was shut down, despite repeated attempts by other members to inject humour & keep it on topic.

My suggestion, is next time for the mods to simply say ‘take a breather for 3 days’ to those concerned, don’t post on the thread regardless, with a Mod comment of ‘Breather moment’ or something similar... so everyone knows to cool off..

WDYT?
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am

Just to point out, you have spelt "arguments" wrong :exitright:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by tomscott » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am

Unfortunately becoming more and more common.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Arguments

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 am

tomscott wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am Unfortunately becoming more and more common.
It is, and like always there is a fine line between allowing people to express themselves and shutting down troublemakers. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Forum Arguements

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 am

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 am
tomscott wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am Unfortunately becoming more and more common.
It is, and like always there is a fine line between allowing people to express themselves and shutting down troublemakers. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't.
We understand that, the only suggestion here is to add functionality where Mods can temporarily suspend certain members for posting on a thread... giving everyone time to cool down, others to debate what’s been said giving time for everyone to reflect... hence the 3 day window suggestion.

I suggest having any thread closed should never be an option & only done after all other avenues explored
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54