Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Forum Map access

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:20 pm

There's going to be weeks of work to follow on this including database build, pin clustering, filtering, searching, UI design, submission form etc etc. This was literally the fruits of 30 mins work.

I'll update as I go

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 pm The sample user that has Essex as their location - does that automatically default to the centre of the county? Was just intrigued as you have Essex for one user and then Glasgow for another.
Not sure I fully understand? The map is currently set to centre over "UK", not to a specific location in the country, although admittedly I have the co-ords off slightly. Rather than centre the map and zoom to a location I'd imagine best to have it over UK, although there are global members to consider so will have a think on that one

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:25 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm Great work. I'd be tempted to reduce the size of the photo a little. Would it be possible to have a filter on the info fields so for example you could just show owners of specific models?
Yeah I was thinking the data design through and potentially instead of a free text field the sign up form would contain drop-downs to constrain the values that can be entered.

model: [e85, e86, e89, G29]
Engine: [2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, M, Alpina]

etc etc

djstan

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by djstan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm

greg81 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm Not sure I fully understand? The map is currently set to centre over "UK", not to a specific location in the country, although admittedly I have the co-ords off slightly. Rather than centre the map and zoom to a location I'd imagine best to have it over UK, although there are global members to consider so will have a think on that one
Sorry, I explained myself badly.

For the user who has their location as Glasgow, the map quite rightly points to Glasgow. For the user whose location is Essex, the map points to Chelmsford. I was just wondering why that was, that’s all :) (So, if a user gives their location as Somerset, will it default to Taunton, Reading for Berkshire etc. etc.)
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:28 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm
greg81 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm Not sure I fully understand? The map is currently set to centre over "UK", not to a specific location in the country, although admittedly I have the co-ords off slightly. Rather than centre the map and zoom to a location I'd imagine best to have it over UK, although there are global members to consider so will have a think on that one
Sorry, I explained myself badly.

For the user who has their location as Glasgow, the map quite rightly points to Glasgow. For the user whose location is Essex, the map points to Chelmsford. I was just wondering why that was, that’s all :) (So, if a user gives their location as Somerset, will it default to Taunton, Reading for Berkshire etc. etc.)
Oh I see what you mean. That was purely some random test data. The user will plot their location on a map during registration and they can choose whether to put their exact loccation, or a nearby town (recommended)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm

greg81 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:28 pm Oh I see what you mean. That was purely some random test data. The user will plot their location on a map during registration and they can choose whether to put their exact loccation, or a nearby town (recommended)
Looking good Greg - would it be possible for the flags to show the forum user names?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ShaunKC

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by ShaunKC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 pm

A really nice idea and very good of you to take it on. :thumbsup:

Previous: Z4C 2007 Montego Blue // Current: Z4MC 2008 Sepang Bronze // Instagram: ayorkshirechap

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm
greg81 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:28 pm Oh I see what you mean. That was purely some random test data. The user will plot their location on a map during registration and they can choose whether to put their exact loccation, or a nearby town (recommended)
Looking good Greg - would it be possible for the flags to show the forum user names?
Not without clicking into a pin or hovering over one I'm afraid. Depending on what zoom level you were are you could end up with several all covering over each other

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm

ShaunKC wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 pm A really nice idea and very good of you to take it on. :thumbsup:
Cheers. I've been a software engineer for 16 years and done nothing but management and paperwork for the past 3 so it's nice to get my hands dirty again!

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:06 pm As you rightly say GDPR would be an issue if a connection between the forum
GDPR will be an issue anyway, it's potentially PII data being stored.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm

greg81 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm Looking good Greg - would it be possible for the flags to show the forum user names?

Not without clicking into a pin or hovering over one I'm afraid. Depending on what zoom level you were are you could end up with several all covering over each other
Oh right - I didn't try that. :roll:

As for GDPR would that be an issue if people opt to have their details included?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

greg81

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by greg81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm

There's a few things to think about for GDPR.. I'll get some advice from a guy in my work.

Tempted to restrict location to nearest town/city/council area. Don't want people sticking a pin right in their front garden!

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by kis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Coming along nicely! Well done sir!

I like the idea of the Z4 model subcategory. I assume then you could filter to only show results for e85/e86? But guess it doesn't really matter. A member is still a fellow enthusiast after all :)

I think you should be able to stick your "pin" where you want? I live in a random area between two towns but we have a coop and a post office, for ebay and stuff I generally use that as my post code so its close, but not too close. Better than being locked to an area which is actually 5 miles or more away from the actual location? Particularly prevalent if you're in London? An extra mile is sometimes an extra hours worth of traffic!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Flyingfifer

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

sp3ctre wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 pm GDPR will be an issue anyway, it's potentially PII data being stored.
Good point!

Can you create a grid style location?
Rather than putting in specifics like council area or post code etc just select the square that you're in where the squares = 5 mile sq or so?
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

djstan

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by djstan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Has anything else happened with this?
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey