Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Forum Map access

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Guys, hosting is not the issue, there are so many implications to running something like this and a lot of red flags. I would suggest parking this until the requirements are sorted, then a solution overview, before trying to proof of concept it. As I said, really not sure this is a go’er in it’s current form.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

IAmOrion

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 pm So many implications to running something like this and a lot of red flags
Such as? It's not that bad surely!? I know other sites that run "wikis" with, using a SAAB forum as an example, a "Tech 2 Locator"

It doesn't need to be overly complicated, and shouldn't even need loads of GDPR consent stuff. I mean, there'd be a small amount, that's inevitable, but ones I've seen simply use the first half of a postcode - and a "Contact this person" button.

I do know what you mean about being unsure it's a go-er though. It's a really great idea in principal, but generally speaking I think most people write a quick post and get an answer quick enough, or just check the original thread - so me personally, I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's worth the effort so to speak... I'm happy to help though anywhere I can
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

Think we need to be pragmatic about this. If we all took GDPR and red tape too the ultimate extent I think the whole country would just stop because nobody could ever be motivated to do anything that involved anyone else!!!
Last edited by ph001 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

IAmOrion

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 am

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am Think we need to be pragmatic about this. If we all took GDPR and red tape too the ultimate extent I think the whole country would just stop because nobody could ever be motivated to do anything!!!
Ironically though, GDPR actually sucks (it's implementation I mean) and so many companies don't adhere to it anyways, but no one is currently enforcing it.
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 am

All I know is it’s completely ruined the browsing experience on both mobile and desktop. Constantly clicking consent boxes to do anything. The whole thing is completely farcical imho and the fact that it is so prevalent has made it completely valueless. Boils my piss big time tbh.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

IAmOrion

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 am

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 am All I know is it’s completely ruined the browsing experience on both mobile and desktop. Constantly clicking consent boxes to do anything. The whole thing is completely farcical imho and the fact that it is so prevalent has made it completely valueless. Boils my piss big time tbh.
Absolutely! Especially when, for example, I'm in the middle of doing something on the Z4, and I just "quickly" need to search google for something, just want a quick answer.... but it takes me like 20 f*****g mins because of GDPR boxes covering the area, and then like a million options to opt out of (Which companies pretty much do on purpose so that ultimately you won't bother, you'll just click accept because it's easier/quicker).

GDPR is great for all it's right reasons BUT it's awful because of how almost every website/company has implemented it (Like I say, it's intentionally 'complicated' on many, just so you'll get annoyed and accept)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am

Sure, we need to be pragmatic about it but that doesn't mean you can completely ignore it either. The implementation is horrible on a lot of sites but the ethos of the legislation is sound on many levels (and awful on some others!).

My main concern is having a map of in many cases valuable cars (especially when the new ones come out) can potentially be a dangerous thing. What are we trying to achieve? If you want to know if a member is close by you could achieve this by a partial postcode search. This would first of all keep the postcodes of the owners secret and would return a list of the closest members to you. You would not know in which direction they live so the next step would be to contact them. I just don't see the need for a map.

It just feels like someone has run away solutionising this when it is not clear what the point of it is, other than it would be cool.

The other thing is the data will get stale very quickly. People usually keep their cars for just a few years and move on. You'll end up with a map where most of the members don't even own a Z4 anymore. Then you'll have to deal with people asking to be removed.

The fact that people are talking of throwing stuff together in a database without proper thought worries me. If someone can sell me on the value of what is trying to be achieved it's not rocket science, it's easy to do, I am just not seeing it at the moment.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

IAmOrion

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 am

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am Sure, we need to be pragmatic about it but that doesn't mean you can completely ignore it either. The implementation is horrible on a lot of sites but the ethos of the legislation is sound on many levels (and awful on some others!).
Absolutely! 100% agree there!
sp3ctre wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am My main concern is having a map of in many cases valuable cars (especially when the new ones come out) can potentially be a dangerous thing. What are we trying to achieve? If you want to know if a member is close by you could achieve this by a partial postcode search. This would first of all keep the postcodes of the owners secret and would return a list of the closest members to you. You would not know in which direction they live so the next step would be to contact them. I just don't see the need for a map.

I think I said something in a previous post about only using the first half of postcodes. Even with a map, if using the first part of the postcode it doesn't really give enough away to pinpoint anyone.
sp3ctre wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am It just feels like someone has run away solutionising this when it is not clear what the point of it is, other than it would be cool.

The other thing is the data will get stale very quickly. People usually keep their cars for just a few years and move on. You'll end up with a map where most of the members don't even own a Z4 anymore. Then you'll have to deal with people asking to be removed.
I can see your point there. Data can be stale any where, even in the current thread about users offering Carly and some of those members not being very active etc... but I do see it being "worse" with a map. People would be less likely to remember to remove themselves from a map and keeping it "up to date" would be an issue knowing who had sold and moved on, who hadn't etc
sp3ctre wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am The fact that people are talking of throwing stuff together in a database without proper thought worries me. If someone can sell me on the value of what is trying to be achieved it's not rocket science, it's easy to do, I am just not seeing it at the moment.
I only queried "throwing stuff in a database" because I was curious to hear how greg was planning on doing it :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Forum Map access

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Is it worse than having nothing at all though? Perhaps thats the most pertinent point here.

No real reason for building a car that goes to 1,000mph either but I’m glad that has not stopped someone trying to do it.