Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can't get OBD2 software INPA to work

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zikim

Post by Zikim » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Have bought an OBD2 lead and software for my E89 but can't get it to work. There is no E89 in the INPA table to use - how do I get it to work?

I got various warning lights come on today from airbags, ABS, tyre pressure, shock absorber and need help otherwise it's into the stealer tomorrow.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 pm

I think people tend to use E87 or E90 profiles with INPA, but it's only diagnostic software though I think you can clear errors with it.
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Don't think there are any 'official' E89 INPA profiles so ISTA is the way forward, if you have a compatible cable.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Use bmw ISTA-D/Rheingold.
That has full E89 support.
You can use that software with the same obd2 cable and the latest version of ediabas.
Its slower than INPA though, as its more designed for use with the faster BMW interfaces (like GT1 or ICOM), but it works fine (on my e85 at least) and has some nice new features.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

willgill

Post by willgill » Thu May 04, 2017 4:18 am

Unless you are coding modules just use carly, way less hassle and brain ache :)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 am

You can do a lot more specialized coding with ISTA etc.
Like when swapping a direct fuel injector (like on a n54 engine), the injectors have to be programmed. Thats something you cant do with carly I believe; that only does user functions I believe (basically a limited section of what ncs expert does)
Can you change the satnav language with carly btw?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 am

Carly is no alternative to INPA :rofl:

You can modify INPA to show the E89 menu but the modules are the same as the E90 so there's no need. What you see as the front page of INPA is just a basic text menu that acts as a shortcut/filter to allow you to find the relevant modules. The data files that are used by the BMW software platform come in chassis specific categories. The E9x cars actually fall under the E89 nomenclature.

I agree with Guido in that ISTA is a better tool. I use both but find myself spending more time in ISTA while diagnosing things. INPA is also written mostly in German but has a few partially translated versions out there, you will often find when diagnosing things you have to open google translate to work out what it's telling you. ISTA is 100% English.

ISTA is split into three packages which can get confusing. This is my understanding;
ISTA-P (for programming modules)
ISTA-D "Rheingold" (for diagnostics)
ISTA+ (All in one, contains both -P and -D but we can only use the diagnostic part on our cars as coding with ISTA+ is for new models only)

ISTA-D aka "Rheingold" is the package you want, then for any coding just use NCSExpert and WinKFP. You can't go too wrong with Rheingold as it will not code any modules, just perform resets and diag.

willgill

Post by willgill » Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 am

Carly is a nice fluffy version of inpa, as I said unless you want to code modules etc.. carly is perfectly usable to code the more common options on the car and to easily monitor various outputs on a tablet/phone :)

much better than farting around with endless aktic/nicht aktiv :headbang:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 am

willgill wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 am Carly is a nice fluffy version of inpa, as I said unless you want to code modules etc.. carly is perfectly usable to code the more common options on the car and to easily monitor various outputs on a tablet/phone :)

much better than farting around with endless aktic/nicht aktiv :headbang:
Carly is coding focused but can read and clear fault codes. It also costs a load more and charges you extra for simple tasks like battery registration.

INPA is the BMW factory testing software. You can read all sorts of engine parameters and perform hundreds of procedures. You are maybe thinking of NCSExpert which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

For example last weekend I replaced a brake pressure sensor on my E46 and it kept flagging up as a DSC fault so I had to to INPA to perform a procedure which re-calibrates the new sensors readings.
Another example is after replacing the windscreen you need to reset the auto-wiper sensor calibration for the new glass for it to perform properly.
There's hundreds of these procedures for all kinds of oddities and AFAIK Carly doesn't contain anything more than the DPF regen and battery coding options.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 am

it-crowd-roy-have-you-tried-turning-it-off-and-then-turning-it-back-on-again.jpg
it-crowd-roy-have-you-tried-turning-it-off-and-then-turning-it-back-on-again.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 630 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm

R.E92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 am
For example last weekend I replaced a brake pressure sensor on my E46 and it kept flagging up as a DSC fault so I had to to INPA to perform a procedure which re-calibrates the new sensors readings.
Another example is after replacing the windscreen you need to reset the auto-wiper sensor calibration for the new glass for it to perform properly.
There's hundreds of these procedures for all kinds of oddities and AFAIK Carly doesn't contain anything more than the DPF regen and battery coding options.
Recalibrating the steering angle sensor when you had it off or replaced it is also an example like this.
Recalibrating steering angle sensors is a procedure that has to be done on virtual every ESP fitted car when work is done on the steering column or dashboard (steering angle column usually has to be partially dismanteled if a dashboard has to be removed)

Resetting the clutch actuators on a SMG transmission whenever you replace the clutch is also an example.

Both these things are all in a days job for a mechanic and are possible with the higher end tools like inpa or aftermarket tools like Autel's Maxidas and the like (but those are very expensive, which shows you the real value of an INPA copy/cable).
Reading and clearing fault codes can also be done with a £2 bluetooth elm327 dongle and free torque lite.

In the end INPA and ISTA are professional tools with pro features; carly is pure a consumer product.

vester86

Post by vester86 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Even after an alignment you should recalibrate the steering angle sensor

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Listen to Guido and Vester. They're Dutch, which means they're clever fellers.
:wink: :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

vester86

Post by vester86 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:38 pm

:rofl:

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies on this subject, especially Scooba_Steve for his off-line help.

I set off this morning to take my zed to the local stealer as I had not only got 7 warning lights but had lost electronic handbrake, speedo was dead and the roof wouldn't work. On starting it up it revved by itself to 3k revs and dropped down again and as I pulled away 5 warning lights went off and then the remaining 2 airbag lights went off. Handbrake was working again along with speedo and roof :D

Didn't take it to the stealer as they wanted £160 just to diagnose faults which had now cleared and drove 120 miles to work and back with no issues. :driving:

Still have not got a clue what caused the faults but hopefully by the end of the weekend will have INPA and ISTA-D working so I will be able to diagnose/clear faults, etc in future.