Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 pm Second job of the day I used heavy machinery (marginal exaggeration) to get the fog light bulbs removed from the front fog lights. With the help of a toothbrush I've removed a pile of reflective metal flakes and corroded metal about the size of a tennis ball from inside the two fog lights. Debating whether to keep poking and prodding to get as much out as possible or whether just blast the inside with a jetwash and then dry it out. I want to do a proper job but slightly concerned about not being able to dry them properly (not that they are completely dry right now.)
I put mine in the dishwasher after I split them.
Rubbed them down and sprayed with chrome enamel paint from Halfords. A good 3 coats and they turned out great.
Then I spray tinted the lenses with a dark smoke.
Got some tiger seal and sealed them back together. No water or moisture is getting through that stuff.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 pm

Fred Smith, sounds like you are going in through the bulb hole?
Facelift I assume?
Dump the whole thing in a bucket of hot water for ten minutes then carefully prise the clear section away from the black part. May take a few dunks to soften the sealant enough.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:57 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm I put mine in the dishwasher after I split them.
Rubbed them down and sprayed with chrome enamel paint from Halfords. A good 3 coats and they turned out great.
Then I spray tinted the lenses with a dark smoke.
Got some tiger seal and sealed them back together. No water or moisture is getting through that stuff.
I would quite like to do that but I haven't split mine. I would be up for trying but two things put me off -

(1) Seeing stories of nightmares trying to split them. This is a rather trivial concern given the state of the seals, but it is a concern.

(2) What appear to be the bolts holding the metal light fitting to the plastic lens are so badly corroded I have no idea whether they are torx or hex wrench compatible... not confident of opening them up. Any ideas?

Also... I am all for trying to make my car as nice as possible, and I want people to be able to look reasonably closely all around without being horrified... on the other hand given the position of the fog lights on the E86 they're not exactly noticeable... if the front of the lens looks OK at a glance and they function I'm pretty happy.
Last edited by Fred Smith on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 pm Fred Smith, sounds like you are going in through the bulb hole?
Facelift I assume?
Dump the whole thing in a bucket of hot water for ten minutes then carefully prise the clear section away from the black part. May take a few dunks to soften the sealant enough.
Sorry, yeah, facelift / bulb hole. Aren't there bolts holding the plastic fronts to the metal backing?

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm

You don’t need to remove the brackets to split.
As Martin above said. Stick them in a bucket of very hot water and then just pull them apart.

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm You don’t need to remove the brackets to split.
As Martin above said. Stick them in a bucket of very hot water and then just pull them apart.
Just to be clear as possible... the lights come in three main parts - there is the big plastic lens at the front, and a (heavily corroded in my case) bit of galvanised metal behind, and all of that is held in a black plastic bracket which is used to attach the light to the bumper?

You are saying that dumping it in very hot water should in theory cause the seal to loosen and the plastic lens should come apart from the metal back of the light (and the metal back will stay attached to the bracket)? You're saying there are no bolts holding the metal back to the plastic lens?

Edit - thanks by the way! It is appreciated... I am happy to do half a job on something so hidden and unimportant... but doing a proper job while the bumper's off anyway and my other car is road legal and not in bits makes a lot of sense.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:40 pm

Yes the lens is glued to the metal part.
The plastic bracket is screwed to the metal part and not the lens.
The hot water makes the glue melt. Just get some plastic pry tools and work your way round the edge.

I put mine in boiling water for about 15 mins and they came apart quite easy.

Then once split I removed all the loose metal and crap.

Stuck them in dishwasher and they came up a treat.

Then rub the metal inside down. And paint with halford chrome enamel spray.
I tinted my lenses as my mate wanted them on his back car so they blend it.
I used tiger seal to glue them back together.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm
j3nks79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm You don’t need to remove the brackets to split.
Just to be clear as possible... the lights come in three main parts - there is the big plastic lens at the front, and a (heavily corroded in my case) bit of galvanised metal behind, and all of that is held in a black plastic bracket which is used to attach the light to the bumper?

You are saying that dumping it in very hot water should in theory cause the seal to loosen and the plastic lens should come apart from the metal back of the light (and the metal back will stay attached to the bracket)? You're saying there are no bolts holding the metal back to the plastic lens?

Edit - thanks by the way! It is appreciated... I am happy to do half a job on something so hidden and unimportant... but doing a proper job while the bumper's off anyway and my other car is road legal and not in bits makes a lot of sense.
Yes, that's exactly right.
I did a set a while back. In my case I painted the inside black and fitted LED DRLs inside instead.
(Photo on Page 801 of this thread)

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 pm Yes, that's exactly right.
I did a set a while back. In my case I painted the inside black and fitted LED DRLs inside instead.
(Photo on Page 801 of this thread)
First one is in a bucket of water as we speak... can't say I'm feeling hopeful... looking at it the gap between plastic lens and the metal backing is completely off as if someone has moved half of the plastic a few mm, but not got the other half to budge at all. The seal is a complete mess but seems solid.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm

It will come apart. Keep prying and putting back it the hot water. The hotter the better.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:56 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm It will come apart. Keep prying and putting back it the hot water. The hotter the better.
Yes it sits fairly deep into the groove and there is a lot of sealant. It will work.

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:17 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:05 pm Fitted supersprint x-pipe and rear cans
Ed Doe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 pm I've got an evening slot at donny booked for next Monday
Hope you don't find those two things are mutually exclusive ed.
I had to remove my ss x-pipe as too loud for most tracks and I hear that Donington have 'recalibrated' their meters, not in a good way :roll:
Fingers crossed for you🤞
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm

TomK wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:17 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:05 pm Fitted supersprint x-pipe and rear cans
Ed Doe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 pm I've got an evening slot at donny booked for next Monday
Hope you don't find those two things are mutually exclusive ed.
I had to remove my ss x-pipe as too loud for most tracks and I hear that Donington have 'recalibrated' their meters, not in a good way :roll:
Fingers crossed for you🤞
Aah s**t! Oh well fingers crossed! What exhaust are you running these days?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, Supersprint, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm Aah s**t! Oh well fingers crossed! What exhaust are you running these days?
Yeah, let me know how you get on, I've heard varying reports... I just have the ss race backbox now, standard everywhere else. Airbox makes a bit of a racket too mind so that probably didn't help.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:56 pm Yes it sits fairly deep into the groove and there is a lot of sealant. It will work.
I am far from convinced that the hot water did much good... but it still soaking (cold now).... in the meantime, with a pen-knife, small screwdriver and gentle use of a car interior removal tool thing I got the second one apart dry in about an hour or an hour 15.