Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 am

New coil packs again. I think this is now the third set in 18 years. No time to wash it though, so it remains filthy
IMG_2952.jpeg
IMG_2952.jpeg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:05 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 am New coil packs again
That`s a great photo . Lotus / Z4 M Coupe and the sun . Do you use the oem coils ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:08 am

Washed it after taking it for a spin.
IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_2939.jpeg (224.71 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:02 am

1536Z4 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:05 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 am New coil packs again
That`s a great photo . Lotus / Z4 M Coupe and the sun . Do you use the oem coils ?
Thank you :)

They're Bosch coil packs that match the OEM specifications (Bosch Part Number 0221504464). They differ slightly in the shape of the insulator, but have the correct positive fit over the plug and at the top of the coil tube.

One of my coils had failed to the point of misfiring on that cylinder, but clearly they were all somewhat sub-par because the car is much more lively now than it has been for quite a while. So much so that I've bought new plugs and coils for my Lotus too (the plugs are seven years old and I've no idea if the coils have ever been changed).
S2000 GT - gone

Big Andra

Post by Big Andra » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:27 am

Zed Baron wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:32 am
Big Andra wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 pm Fitted my recently acquired 437M's. Not a fan of the satin black, so there will be a colour change happening at some point.
She's looking good Andy, did you get them from Peter? Yes, Wheel Wizards, Stewart did a great job as usual, turned them around in less than a day. Put two new tyres on the front also, ordered them through Black Circles and Stewart fitted and balanced them (the rears had been recently done when the car had its last service at Synter), so off Tuesday afternoon to get a 4 wheel alignment done. :thumbsup:
Yes, wheels bought from Peter. I've always found Camskill to be cheaper for tyres.
2009 E89 2.5 Alpine white.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:56 am

Big Andra wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:27 am Yes, wheels bought from Peter. I've always found Camskill to be cheaper for tyres.
Now you tell me :rofl: just done a check and would of saved £20, I'll remember that for the next time

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:05 pm

Fitted supersprint x-pipe and rear cans, and then a stud and nut conversion yesterday. Then dragged the car out of the garage for a clean. I wanted to clay Polish and graphene coat it but I started late after a leisurely breakfast so ran out of time!

Quick pic of the before cleaning - stupidly I didn't get any 'after' pics where it actually looked half decent rather than covered in 6months' dust from winter storage :rofl:
PXL_20240420_151849583.jpg
PXL_20240420_151849583.jpg (338.85 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, Supersprint, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:44 pm

Looks great Ed, and pretty clean despite you suggesting otherwise :thumbsup:
S2000 GT - gone

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm

Took the bumper off my E86 for the first time. One complete and one (as expected) broken headlight jet wash (missing cap and the nozzle bit). The complete one was disconnected so I disconnected and capped off the broken one and hopefully have solved the windscreen washer tank leak. The next decision is whether to buy a new set or whether to just buy a cap and leave them non-functioning (this isn't an MOT fail on a 2006 car is it?)

Removed the nearside headlight (not completely, I couldn't work out how to remove the bigger of the electrical connections). Dried it out pretty thoroughly including tipping a trickle of water out to start with and at least 15 minutes with a hairdryer. Cleaned the seal. Put it back together. Fingers crossed.

Taped up the braces / struts behind the grill so they look black not galvanised metal colour. Will paint properly sometime (considering black or red... brake calipers and visible struts in red would be nice long term... still not decided on black vs gold vs current graphite for the wheels. No really hurry to decide, all very long term, but I'd like to have the colour scheme worked out now so I can get things like the braces painted right first time.)

Now to look at and clean the bumper and especially the foglights which look rough but work. I haven't dared look at them close up yet. Oh, and gotta finishing clean the nearside reflector which was all gunked up / green / brown and looked horrid.

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:41 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm Took the bumper off my E86 for the first time.
Did you break any of the clips that hold it to the wings?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:56 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:41 pm
Fred Smith wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm Took the bumper off my E86 for the first time.
Did you break any of the clips that hold it to the wings?
Yes. Only on one side, top bear the headlights, the other side was already broken. Why do you ask?

Edit... for what it's worth the underside of the bumper had two functioning bolts, and one half functioning one.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:15 pm

Not actually done to my car, but I did fit a replacement DME to my apprentice over the road's 2.5i.
First time with that software but managed to suss it.
So anyone needing a DME replaced and not close enough to bigwinn: maybe I can help. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:15 pm Not actually done to my car, but I did fit a replacement DME to my apprentice over the road's 2.5i.
First time with that software but managed to suss it.
So anyone needing a DME replaced and not close enough to bigwinn: maybe I can help. :thumbsup:
Well done bud!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:34 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm Took the bumper off my E86 for the first time. One complete and one (as expected) broken headlight jet wash (missing cap and the nozzle bit). The complete one was disconnected so I disconnected and capped off the broken one and hopefully have solved the windscreen washer tank leak. The next decision is whether to buy a new set or whether to just buy a cap and leave them non-functioning (this isn't an MOT fail on a 2006 car is it?)
Any car registered before some date in 2009 doesn't need headlamp washers, so MOT should be fine. I've bunged mine up to avoid leaks and it had gone through at least 2 MOTs without them working.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Barty

Post by Barty » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:13 pm

IMG_3080.jpeg
IMG_3080.jpeg (216.98 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Had two visitors this afternoon! Swapped the interior trim for piano black in Joel’s Z4 (tip: you don’t need to pull off the door between the seats to actually remove the two bolts, saving you that nerve wracking task), and fitted my old AFE intake to Eelco’s silver machine. Not bad for about 3h work total :thumbsup:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds