Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The New Z4........is it just me? (UPDATED)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
n1k_85

The New Z4........is it just me? (UPDATED)

Post by n1k_85 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey all,

I've only just looked at these pics in detail for the first time. Is it just me or does the new Z4 look at bit.....strange?

It doesnt seem to look aggresive at all....from any angle! Except for *possibly* the interior, i cant find a single peice on the car that i prefer to the current shape! It just looks all wrong :thumbsdown:

A was a huge fan of the old BMW Mini, but when they brought out the new shape i thought exactky the same as i have just written above. I assumed that the new-look Mini would eventually grow on me. 2 or 3 years later and it hasn't....at all. I cant imagine the new look Z4 being any different.

I will use my own pics to illustrate this as i dont want to 'steal' anyone elses, but imagine it was clean :oops: (i had just picked it up that day)

Sorry for the naff quality pics too :oops:

I hope i dont offend anyone with this thread, but does anyone else feel the same way?

:?
Last edited by n1k_85 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Z4 3.0 Auto Roadster, 18" Ellipsoids, BMW Bluetooth Phone Kit, Heated Seats, Intravee iPod Unit, Professional Sat Nav (updated with 7 Digit Postcode, Speed Cameras and 2009 Maps)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The New Z4........is it just me? (pics)

Post by mmm-five » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 pm

zroadster seems to have an anti-leeching system in place so I don't see the photo's you've linked to.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

n1k_85

Post by n1k_85 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Doh!

:headbang:
Black Z4 3.0 Auto Roadster, 18" Ellipsoids, BMW Bluetooth Phone Kit, Heated Seats, Intravee iPod Unit, Professional Sat Nav (updated with 7 Digit Postcode, Speed Cameras and 2009 Maps)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Well I'd have the new one if I had the choice. :wink: :)
2004-2005: "04" Saph 2.2i; 2007-2010: "05" Tit 3.0i; 2010-2012: "08" Audi TTR;
2012+ "MY13" Audi TTC TFSi S-line Black with 19s and lots of toys

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I'll reserve judgment untill I see one in the flesh, but it has lost some of it's destincive charcter, having said that the new one may have a character all mof it's own. The weight gain can't be a good thing though IMO.
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

n1k_85 wrote: A was a huge fan of the old BMW Mini, but when they brought out the new shape i thought exactky the same as i have just written above. I assumed that the new-look Mini would eventually grow on me. 2 or 3 years later and it hasn't....at all. I cant imagine the new look Z4 being any different.
I felt exactly the same as you about the MINI. I had one of the supercharged JCW cars and was looking to change. The only reason I am in a Z4 is because I couldn't order a new pre-facelift MINI as I too didn't like the new version! It still hasn't grown on me either (although the interior isn't too bad!)!

I hope this doesn't happen with the Z4 when I see one, but it may be more than I want to pay for a Z4 anyway, as the new price with reasonable options will put it into a territory where there is a lot of choice! So I guess the one I'm in now will probably be my first and last Z4.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Also reserving my judgement until i see it in the flesh... isn't looking good atm tho!
Z4 2.0 SE '07

Topshelf

Re: The New Z4........is it just me? (UPDATED)

Post by Topshelf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Agree with waiting until I see one in person for final judgment. But for the sake of this discussion, I don't like anything about the exterior styling. I would however LOVE to have the 300hp TT engine, nicer interior and electronic gadgets. That being said, for the price of one optioned the way I'd want it, I have no doubts that I'd pick up a slightly used Cayman S instead. Just checked current local prices and almost started to cry. Can buy one now for just a few k more than what I paid for my Z4C last August. :cry:

senwar

Post by senwar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Have to say I'm not a fan of it either.

Will have a nosey when they arrive but certainly won't be going for one. Just not keen at all.

Saying that, hated the Z4 coupe till I saw one in a dealership.....

MarkW

Post by MarkW » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Agree judgement should be withheld until I see one in the flesh......BUT from the pictures

The rear overhang is too long, probably to fit in the roof plus a decent boot space
The whole car looks less distinctive and bigger....more GT than sportscar
The rear lights are too anonymous
The roof up profile doesn't look as good as the current coupe

The only exterior feature I prefer is the front lights and the interior looks ok.

I might change my mind when I see one though. However I do agree about the mini. My gf has a mk 1 cooper S and I still prefer the look of this to the mk 2 version.
Z4 2.0i sDrive TVR Tamora Audi S3 Saloon

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Looking at those pics side by side makes the new Z4 look more like a 6 Series compared to the present Z4! Interior is growing on me though!

Look how much wider it looks door mirror to door mirror to the present one! Those mirrors look wayyy out there on the new one! I don't think you will get such a nice view of the rear wings as you do in the present one, and I like that view in the present one!
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

BMW_Z4_Norway

Post by BMW_Z4_Norway » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 pm

I have to agree, do kinda like the Z though, but there is just something strange about it as you just said. Prefer the old one :oops: I does look a bite too "nice" and not aggressiv as the old one.. Only thing I love is the interior :D

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 pm

right forget what i said before - decided the front - FAIL... the rest of it I'll reserve judgement until i see it ;)
Z4 2.0 SE '07

Jackcat5

Post by Jackcat5 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:04 pm

The wife loves it, and I think the car has been dumbed down for over all average acceptance.

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 am

Well, I'll be the oddball here. The new Z4 has IMO an awesome exterior styling. When I look at the OP's pictures between the old Z4 and the new Z4 the old one looks boring and unrefined. I don't like the hood on the new Z4, too many ridge lines. The styling of the E89 with the roof up is way better than the old Z4 roadster but I do prefer the styling of the old Z4 coupé. :P That said, like I have said before this new Z4 makes me want to buy a 6 Series instead. :) I can't wait to see one in person.
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)