Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you buy this?

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Jalfrezi

Would you buy this?

Post by Jalfrezi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Had a look at this today. Pretty tidy apart from the wheels that need a refurb. Had a flat battery too. 2 owners and FSH. But 131k miles and little MoT! Would the mileage put off?

http://www.mtcdirect.co.uk/bmw-z4-roads ... ol-6052296
2003 E85 3.0i, 144000 miles and counting...

M1ghty_m0use

Would you buy this?

Post by M1ghty_m0use » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Id buy it for £3000

If it's for a weekend fun car

The most you can Loose is the £3000

With the depreciation value of the car anyway its worth it for a couple of years

Also it's worth a bit in parts and if it conks out in two years you've had your fun with it
Last edited by M1ghty_m0use on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyZed

Would you buy this?

Post by GreyZed » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Looks well spec'd with prof nav heated seats maybe xenons too. If it drives well could be a good buy even at £3,500.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Jalfrezi

Would you buy this?

Post by Jalfrezi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for the comments, I was put off by the mileage originally. But now more concerned that the MoT only has a few weeks left. Think I'll test drive it, and haggle for a good price inc. a new MoT.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Would you buy this?

Post by Marlon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Advert is a bit naughty saying 'current MOT' when only a few weeks left. I agree with you - I'd definitely want an MOT before buying, worth a test drive provided garage agrees to MOT. Let us know how you get on.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Would you buy this?

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:31 am

Doesn't seem sill expensive for what it is. After all an 03 plate is 13 years old, so 130K is only about average.

If it drove well, had some history and I could do a deal to either reflect the short MOT or have a new one put on it I wouldn't be put off.

Hope it works out! :thumbsup:

FWIW there is a trader who has been listing a Z4C on A/T for months with 121K recorded miles for £7,500. (I did make an enquiry about it 3 months ago, and the fact it is still around may be a bit of an attitude problem to be fair)!

Compared to the one you are looking at less than half the price for the sake of 3 years older and another 12K miles looks pretty reasonable - plus from my (albeit limited) experience an M54 engine is cheaper to maintain than an N52.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Would you buy this?

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:20 am

Looks OK. It maybe the dealer is holding off on the MOT as a bargaining point and not wanting to get it done if the car is going to sit on the forecourt for a few weeks, but it definitely isn't cheap enough to buy without it being done first. It's had advisories for brake pipe corrosion and a recent fail on suspension bushings which is normal at that age/mileage but is a sign of what you can realistically expect. A fail on similar service items can soon add up to a lot of money so the MOT would be a deal breaker for me.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Would you buy this?

Post by paddy wright » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:43 am

Fresh MOT and a few hundred pounds off and it's a bargain. Lot of car for very little money.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Jalfrezi

Would you buy this?

Post by Jalfrezi » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Went back to take a 2nd look, and noticed a couple of things:

Good stuff:
1) Has electric (memory) & heated seats, in pretty good condition
2) Has cup holders, and CD autochanger, also has speakers behind the seats, so I think it is a Carver system
3) Only two previous owners, last one for ten years, quite a lot of history/receipts

So, all in all pretty good so far, the dealer will also stick a new MoT on it.

Not so good:
1) Front bumper isn't quite aligned, but the rest of the panels look good so not too concerned
2) A couple of very small dings in the bodywork, again for the price no problem
3) SatNav DVD is 2002 version, so I guess it needs an update
4) Had a flat battery, but started fine with a booster
5) Had a misfire & the CEL was on, the dealer is confident this is just coil packs and will sort it
6) Had a bit of a rattle from the engine, like a knackered pulley bearing (maybe the misfire would cause this?)
7) A bit of surface rust on the top of the front chassis leg in the engine bay. Looks straight, and not repaired accident damage. but a bit odd

So, bit if a dilemma, they dealer wants a deposit before they address the misfire & get it MoT'd, and ignoring these issues I'd like to buy the car. However, I still haven't test drove it. Nervous of losing a deposit if the car drives badly after the repairs.

Tempted to walk away, but it could be a good buy.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Would you buy this?

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:39 pm

It's not a raging bargain, it's not a special example, you rightly have niggling doubts about what you have found so far (and you ALWAYS find stuff later) so I would walk. There are loads of good examples around.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Would you buy this?

Post by Marlon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:08 pm

The dealer should be putting all that right first, getting it MOT'd and then reflecting that in the asking price. Sounds like there are too many worries to be committing yourself by handing over a deposit. There will be other Zeds out there, I'd start looking elsewhere if I were you.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

GreyZed

Would you buy this?

Post by GreyZed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Bollocks to the deposit!

As Marlon says if the dealer is going to stand any chance of selling the car he needs to sort the misfire, clear the warning light and put an MOT on it.

Just tell him to give you a call when he get's the car ready for sale.

There are loads of Zeds out there so don't worry about walking away.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

benv6

Would you buy this?

Post by benv6 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:12 pm

I'd walk away and would'nt give it a second thought !! They know what they doing. If it was an easy fix or an easy MOT they would've done it before selling .... stay away from it !!!
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

Greg 01

Would you buy this?

Post by Greg 01 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:23 pm

It beggars belief that garages don't actually fix faulty cars until they have a buyer. :headbang:
My pet hate if it's not 100% they can shove it .
I realise why they do it , I just find it annoying .
When I was looking I did put a deposit down on a car having the abs sorted .I was messed about so got my deposit back and walked away.
Nachtblau metallic 3.0 si auto ,cup holders , whippy back on :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Would you buy this?

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:36 pm

Jalfrezi wrote:Went back to take a 2nd look, and noticed a couple of things:

Not so good:
1) Front bumper isn't quite aligned, but the rest of the panels look good so not too concerned
2) A couple of very small dings in the bodywork, again for the price no problem
3) SatNav DVD is 2002 version, so I guess it needs an update
4) Had a flat battery, but started fine with a booster
5) Had a misfire & the CEL was on, the dealer is confident this is just coil packs and will sort it
6) Had a bit of a rattle from the engine, like a knackered pulley bearing (maybe the misfire would cause this?)
7) A bit of surface rust on the top of the front chassis leg in the engine bay. Looks straight, and not repaired accident damage. but a bit odd

Tempted to walk away, but it could be a good buy.
Last owner 10 years I would take as a positive , the miles shouldn't worry if its a weekender & the price is right when you take delivery
Your list of 1-7 faults /
1 :wink: I would say a majority of Z4s that have had bumper off for a repaint will never regain the proper lines so unless accident damage is obvious I wouldn't worry too much , it will be more of a annoyance than anything & can be sorted with new clips + experience
Only 5 & 6 would concern me & I wouldn't be offering any deposit until you are satisfied those defects have been put right
If you are patient I would say £4k should land a decent 100kish 3.0se so ask yourself if the extra £ you will save is worth the extra 30k ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo