Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible to have a basic forum view without images?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
bras0782

Possible to have a basic forum view without images?

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am

Is there a way to view threads without the site logo at the top and any other attractive, eye-catching bits, smileys and so on? Some variation of a text-only view perhaps?

This would be very good for me at work. I'm in an open plan office where a lot of people can see my screens and some have made snide comments about me always looking at cars when I'm browsing the forums :thumbsdown:

At home I'd use the current view (which is very good mind :thumbsup: )
2004, 53 plate, 3.0 Roadster, Sterling Grey

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Possible to have a basic forum view without images?

Post by ovrkll » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:12 am

In your User Control Panel/ preferences, there is a section for display options.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:17 am

bras0782 wrote:Is there a way to view threads without the site logo at the top and any other attractive, eye-catching bits, smileys and so on? Some variation of a text-only view perhaps?

This would be very good for me at work. I'm in an open plan office where a lot of people can see my screens and some have made snide comments about me always looking at cars when I'm browsing the forums :thumbsdown:

At home I'd use the current view (which is very good mind :thumbsup: )
Simple, either live with the snide comments, or stop surfing on work time :fuelfire:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:55 pm

ovrkll wrote:In your User Control Panel/ preferences, there is a section for display options.
Didn't see anything - I'll try again.
mmm-five wrote:
Simple, either live with the snide comments, or stop surfing on work time :fuelfire:
Thanks for that very helpful reply - bet you're a right smart-arse :lol:

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 pm

ovrkll wrote:In your User Control Panel/ preferences, there is a section for display options.
Aha! Didn't see the 'Edit display options' link on the lhs :oops: :oops:

That's a good start - thanks

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 pm

bras0782 wrote:
mmm-five wrote:
Thanks for that very helpful reply - bet you're a right smart-arse :lol:
Not a smart arse, just a Scouser :poke:

You could always use a privacy filter like I do :P
Trigger’s Z4MC

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Question now is, does this setting follow you? I just changed it at home, on my way to the office to see if the settings are changed there too. :scratchhead:

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 pm

mmm-five wrote:
Not a smart arse, just a Scouser :poke:

You could always use a privacy filter like I do :P
Home to the best football team in the world :thumbsup:

Is the privacy filter useful for blocking images on the site and giving me a more text-like view? Only care about people seeing my screen during the day but not fussed about clearing browsing history or the like.

Perhaps I'm after an RSS feed (he says acting like he knows what he's talking about but having never used such a feed) :D

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 pm

rabman5 wrote:Question now is, does this setting follow you? I just changed it at home, on my way to the office to see if the settings are changed there too. :scratchhead:
I suspect they will

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

m

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm

bras0782 wrote: Is the privacy filter useful for blocking images on the site and giving me a more text-like view? Only care about people seeing my screen during the day but not fussed about clearing browsing history or the like. :D
No, it's a bit of expensive plastic made by 3M which keeps the contents of my screen confidential - as I'm usually working with sensitive headcount & site closure details.

The view from 5 degrees in any direction is fine, then it goes black, so people on either side, or standing behind me can't see what's on the screen - it also has the added benefit of hiding my internet usage. I'm on a deliverable-based pay anyway, so the fact that I spend a couple of hours of my time surfing (on my own wireless internet connection via The Cloud) doesn't matter as long as I get the work done, and I do a 12 hour day anyway.
Trigger’s Z4MC

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Ah, can't be using that then. Thanks anyway

Similar for me. It's about what I get done and not the clock. I'm hardly online anyway and only for short bursts because I spend a lot of time waiting for large soreadsheets to calculate so get a minute or two free to refresh the news or whatever sites I'm on. That doesn't stop the occasional snide comments. Only reason I wanted to make it less obvious was to make sure people don't assume I'm browsing all day and not working when in fact I'm hardly doing so if you add it up and work my arse off most of the time.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 pm

bras0782 wrote:Ah, can't be using that then. Thanks anyway

Similar for me. It's about what I get done and not the clock. I'm hardly online anyway and only for short bursts because I spend a lot of time waiting for large soreadsheets to calculate so get a minute or two free to refresh the news or whatever sites I'm on. That doesn't stop the occasional snide comments. Only reason I wanted to make it less obvious was to make sure people don't assume I'm browsing all day and not working when in fact I'm hardly doing so if you add it up and work my arse off most of the time.
And I bet it's the ones doing the least work who are doing most of the commenting :P

I'm lucky that most of my bosses are car nuts too, and they're always sending me links to Pistonheads, Coys, Autotrader, and the like.
Trigger’s Z4MC