Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UNDISGUISED Shot of the New Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: UNDISGUISED Shot of the New Z4

Post by GAZA62 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 pm

From what i can see i dont mind the headlights and grill look more agressive which i think the Z4 needed on the front end but not liking the rest not so muscular looking but as said above need to see one in the flesh.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 pm

I like it alot :thumbsup: but with no coupe on the cards not for me :(
Blue Z4MC - now gone

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 pm

PhilDZ4 wrote:
Angus McCoatup wrote:Don't know about you guys, but every time BMW release an updated model my first impression about the looks is pretty lukewarm and I usually prefer the previous version.

But then after a while it's strange how the new one grows on you and the old one starts to look dated. I guess it might be the same with this but I'll wait until I see better photos or, preferably, see it in the metal.

As covered in another thread, unless they do a proper coupe version of the new Z4 (and unless it looks nice), I'll be happy with what I've got.

I heard Chris Bangle say something along the lines of, "if you're out in front (with design) nobody's there to congratulate you when you arrive."
Agree totally with the statement above, it sums it up nicely. Rarely do top designers get it wrong............but do sometimes.
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

BMW_Z4_Norway

Post by BMW_Z4_Norway » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 pm

The old one is much more pretty if you ask me :P

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:38 pm

PhilDZ4 wrote:I heard Chris Bangle say something along the lines of, "if you're out in front (with design) nobody's there to congratulate you when you arrive."
ha ha... The same thing might be said about those so far behind (with design) that everybody's left the grandstands. Sadly, that likely explains the automotive homogeny of "design for the masses," which BMW for the most part eschews... they're often the "top Tom" the other cats copy.
2007 3.0si coupe . jet black . dream red . premium . sport . bum-warming M seats . clear corners . euro visors . zhp . stubby . ipod . sans badges

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 pm

*AL* wrote:
PhilDZ4 wrote:
Angus McCoatup wrote:Don't know about you guys, but every time BMW release an updated model my first impression about the looks is pretty lukewarm and I usually prefer the previous version.

But then after a while it's strange how the new one grows on you and the old one starts to look dated. I guess it might be the same with this but I'll wait until I see better photos or, preferably, see it in the metal.

As covered in another thread, unless they do a proper coupe version of the new Z4 (and unless it looks nice), I'll be happy with what I've got.

I heard Chris Bangle say something along the lines of, "if you're out in front (with design) nobody's there to congratulate you when you arrive."
Agree totally with the statement above, it sums it up nicely. Rarely do top designers get it wrong............but do sometimes.
You do realise Chris Bangle designed the Fiat Multipla :poke: :fuelfire: (I guess that will be the "but do sometimes" bit of what you said) :rofl:
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 pm

The man is extremely full of himself and thinks he is much, much better than he is. The only reason we accept the current 5 is it's been around so long, it's so common, and we are used to it. Great car underneath but visually one of the ugliest ever (though the Sport kit smartens it up). The pre facelift 7 still looks like a monster. The Z4 kinda works because it's like a piece of sculpture...one car he did do though that actually looks better (IMO) now than when new is the Fiat Coupe. That shows how hit and miss design can be...

IMO this new Z4 looks very good, which means in real life I will probably like it even more. I want to see the rest (the back and the roof especially) but it is looking good so far. Far cleaner lines. The side vents have a lot in common with the new 7... as a successor I think it really works - it's still a Z4, just more modern. I doubt a fastback style Coupe is in the works though

:(

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:11 pm

cant see how anyone can see the 5 as ugly- yes the 7 was at first then everyone got used to it before copying it! I know bangle didnt get it right every time ( the multipla !!!!!!!!!!!!) but at least he dares to be different! the z is an amazing looking car and it will be hard to top it. Not sure the new z is the car to do it but time will tell.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 pm

I had the E60 5 series, very good looking car imo.
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:29 pm

paddy wright wrote:cant see how anyone can see the 5 as ugly
Dame Edna headlights, high sided blank vertical surfaces, tiny castors for wheels, lumpy boot lid...the proportions are all wrong IMO. I think the E39 is still a better looking car. Having said that In M5 or Sport mode with the bodykit, larger wheels, especially in black or grey to hide the dodgy detailing, it looks much much better. Those headlights though...ugh. Of course in every other respect its a perfect car (performance, handling, quality etc) like all 5 series...which is annoying LOL.

I'd take an E90 M3 Saloon over an M5 Saloon almost purely because of the styling

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:02 am

is this poof its a fake pic? why doent the window image come up past the a piller into the buildinging window. Is that a soft top?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 am

It is real, not sure if I like it or not though :idunno:
pvr wrote:We still can't see whether the indicators are on the mirrors or not, or the type of roof for that matter. Why did that bloke have to be in the way ...
I thought the indicators in the mirrors was debunked a while back, and it won't have them.

louZ4

Post by louZ4 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:36 am

I really like it. The camo pics we had been seeing seemed a rather uninspired design. i was afraid the Z4 would lose the sculptured look. But these photos show a beautifully designed car. At some point I would like to have one.
Don't take life too seriously. None of us are getting out of it alive.

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 am

From that pic, I'm not really digging it, but I'm sure it will be different in person.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 am

Not seeing enough in this picture to say if I like it or I don't like it. The front grills do look a bit weird shaped like on the new 7 series, and front bumper seems to have the ugly contours like on the face-lifted E90.

But I think it's safe to say that from all the spy picture & then this undisguised picture, the E89 doesn't make the E85 look dated. BMW could've offered both the E85 & E89 in their line-up at the same time and you wouldn't think the E85 is a 7 year older design.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)