Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Instrument cluster replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
steveyorks

Instrument cluster replacement

Post by steveyorks » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 pm

I explained in a previous post how I bought a Z4 from a dodgy dealer in Brighouse and how the airbag module needed replacement and the instrument cluster was faulty. I sent the cluster of to B A Reman but they have told me that although the unit is faulty they cannot fix it as BMW will not sell the part required. I have now found another cluster with exactly the same part number but I am aware I have to have it recoded. From what I have read if I don't have it recoded the mileage will not sync with the mileage stored in the car and after a while it will bring up a tamper dot near the mileage reading. Has anybody had this recoding done and of so where and at what cost?

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Instrument cluster replacement

Post by AlanJ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:42 am

Cant help but feel this is a dealer process - and if you get a dealer to do it it will at least satisfy a new purchaser if you choose to sell in the future as to the legitimacy of the mileage recorded. Shouldn't be too much. I had a fault code read recently at the dealers £80. Cant be much more involved than a hours work which is what they charged me for.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

oli445

Post by oli445 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:51 am

Quarry motors would be my first point of call. They know their coding batter than dealers at a much lower price. As I said previously, nobody could code my airbag control unit (dealers and local independent), took them 20 minutes and cost £30.

I would drive halfway across the country to them but they are on your doorstep!

steveyorks

Post by steveyorks » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:01 pm

I had Quarry in mind actually but only tracked down a cluster last night so have not had chance to call them. I want to get the airbag module first so can get them done together. Alan I have kept the old cluster with mileage on it and receipts etc and when coded mileage should match up anyway for any future buyer.