Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LEAK! Help required, pics included.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DanEvs

LEAK! Help required, pics included.

Post by DanEvs » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:33 am

Morning Folks.

The last few mornings I've noticed a small pool of water sitting on the plastic trim inside the passenger door opening. The carpet is damp in a localised area around the leak too. All the seals seem to be in good condition.

Has anyone got any experience of a leak like this? I'd like to nip it in the bud before I end up with bigger problems.

Thanks in advance.
Image3.0 SI with many bells and whistles. Love it!!

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Re: LEAK! Help required, pics included.

Post by Swiftly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:56 am

This is well documented if you use the search function and should be an easy fix . One of the first things to check is that the door membrane isn't damaged. To check you will need to remove the door card though.

I had a similar water issue, but my door menbrane was ok, so I raised the rubber seal up slightly which resolved the issue for me and a few other members http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63712
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

DanEvs

Post by DanEvs » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 am

I find the search function a pain in the ass. :headbang:

Thanks for your help, I've just lifted the seal. :thumbsup:
Image3.0 SI with many bells and whistles. Love it!!

Ooch

Post by Ooch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:51 am

Need to remove door card..google it. Then use hose on out side of window. You will see where it leaks past the foam like grey membrane. I used silicone sealant on mine where it was leaking.
Not leaked since.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:46 pm

DanEvs wrote:I find the search function a pain in the ass. :headbang:

Thanks for your help, I've just lifted the seal. :thumbsup:
Thats great, but I would monitor it just to make sure it is sorted and not the door membrane thats the issue.
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 pm

I got the same issue after replacing the door lock. Well actually mechanic did it. Broke my door tweeter on the way in teared door membrane in several places. Aftermath was, of course, water at my foot well. t
I picked a warm day and put the car on the sun for an hour. That way the black gunk which holds the membrane got soft and gummy. After removing door panel - really not that hard - I finger-pressed through whole membrane. I made sure it's really bonded to the door frame. Till now no water came inside of the car. And that rotten smell after a rainy night is also gone. If that won't work for you, try replacing that black gum stuff. Avoid silicone 'cos you might be removing door panels and stuff in the future. In the end it's BMW Z4 which constantly needs attention :D

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 am

DanEvs wrote:I find the search function a pain in the ass. :headband:
Easy just a case of putting the right query in - rubbish in - rubbish out :poke: :poke: :D
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 am

Don't forget you can use + in the forum search OR just google, entering "z4 forum" along with your search text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Ooch wrote:Need to remove door card..google it. Then use hose on out side of window. You will see where it leaks past the foam like grey membrane. I used silicone sealant on mine where it was leaking.
Not leaked since.
Exactly as as above

Did mine this morning after noticing water in the exact same place as yours in the pic
You should not even need to use the hose as you will see where the water ingress has been .
This is a very common problem on many cars the friend who did mine as done a vw golf and a skoda fabia vrs in the last week.
Revitalising an old post as this may help someone who may have been :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: for weeks trying to find the leak,as I was
:thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten