Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Both xenon headlights stopped working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TomHitmanHatton

Both xenon headlights stopped working

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm

I have condensation inside my headlights, after going for a short drive today with the lights on I was met with a yellow light on dash which told me I have a bulb failure. When I got home both xenon's were out and I cannot get them to go back on. Any advice? Garage has quoted me around 400 quid for 2 new xenons, so if anyone can recommend anything I will be very grateful.
Thanks.
2003 2.5i E85 Sterling Grey

TomHitmanHatton

Re: Both xenon headlights stopped working

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Lights looked like this:Image
Spent some time with a hair dryer and it now looks like this:Image
Xenon still not functional though :(

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Hopefully just the covers on the back of the light in the wheel arch. Have moved slowing moisture in have a look if they look like they are not attached or have moved remove them and dry the back of the light. Fingers crossed it's something like that.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm

you'll need to remove the headlights and try to dry the ballasts out, there located user the headlights
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

TomHitmanHatton

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I found this thread detailing how to remove the light. Looks just like what I have. http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 28&t=57127
Do you think my xenon's are busted, how long a repair do you think it would be? I'm meant to be driving Newquay for hols which won't be very enjoyable without lights.

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:04 pm

TomHitmanHatton wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I found this thread detailing how to remove the light. Looks just like what I have. http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 28&t=57127
Do you think my xenon's are busted, how long a repair do you think it would be? I'm meant to be driving Newquay for hols which won't be very enjoyable without lights.
You will probably need new ballasts. I bought mines from ebay for around £75 (used) then you need to remove bumper and headlight to replace ballast.

I would also buy replacement back covers from the dealer to stop the water getting in or you will just end up killing the replacement ballasts. Took me a couple of hours to get bumper and headlight off and replace ballast.

Cheers
Z4M Silver Grey with Red Leather

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Tom if you get the bits I will give you a hand fitting them. I can get the bumper and headlights out quite quick. But I am no good with anything electrical so you will have to research that yourself on that :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 pm

If it's the bulbs someone bought a pair for £53 off ebay. If I find the link will post it.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 pm

This is the item number
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

TomHitmanHatton

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 pm

How will I know wether it's the ballast or the bulb?
Thanks for the input guys, amazing help

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am

Strange how both have stopped working....

Usually to test you would swap the ballasts over... But obviously in this case that wont do much good.

I would be inclined to check the fuses first as both have gone... Or ateast get a voltameter and check if a current is getting to the wiring loom (pre ballast as you dont want to electricute yourself with the massive voltage the ballasts create!)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

TomHitmanHatton

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 am

I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine :-/

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:38 pm

TomHitmanHatton wrote:I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine :-/
If both headlights had water in them then it will be the ballasts as the water trickles down the electrical connection into the ballast. The water has no way of escaping once its in there. When I took my ballast out it was sloshing with water inside...lol

My money is on both ballasts have failed. my bulbs and ignitor were fine as the water wasnt getting to them.
Z4M Silver Grey with Red Leather

TomHitmanHatton

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Went and had diagnostics run on my car today. Front right sidelight was shown to be flickering from on and off on the diagnostics. The guy is pretty confused with what is up with it. Should tell you all tomorrow. Mysterious problem...

TomHitmanHatton

Post by TomHitmanHatton » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:31 pm

If it was the ballast then it would have came up apparently. As it is he has order two new xenons (£75 each) and hopefully that will sort it.