Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0Si Remap - thoughts?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
McKoval

Re: 3.0Si Remap - thoughts?

Post by McKoval » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 pm

As a fellow n52 user I will be watching this topic with inerest.
But the linked pdf "cannot be found on the server"

As for the torque drop I've always wondered why it is like that? I mean if its engine limitation, they could've set the redlight at 6600rpm - the last 400rpm are useless anyway.
But if you could remap it to maintain torque up to 7000rpm I would be happy to have it like that :-)

TapaTalking

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:50 pm

My logic would be that an 8 year old car, and no-one's done this as yet or no info on it means there's probably a reason why. Either reliability or cost versus reward I imagine make it not worth it. It's pretty well known that BMW squeezed pretty much all they could out of the N52 engine and agreeing with what others have said in that the characteristics you want to change are just limitations of the engine. I've yet to see a remap of the 3.0si that showed it as a worthwhile thing to do, infact I think someone might have done and then never posted about the results....
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:45 pm

McKoval; this is the relevant page of the pdf I linked to; Image

Evil_Elvis, apologies I think I misinterpreted the tone of your post after quite a week at work. I didn't mean to be rude, but having misread your post I took it the wrong way and got a bit miffed! I don't know if the pdf also didn't work for you, but at least as far as I can see, there is no plateauing of the power curve, it just spikes to a peak and drops immediately past it. That wouldn't correlate to the cams working outside their operational band; that would constitute a plateau and then a dropping off of the power available. Having driven the car as it is now for some time, I can certainly feel the power ween away at the top end which appears to correlate with the graph, and even if the current limiter (which I believe is 7k??) proves to be the end of the plateau, surely it's worth investigating extending the engine making full power right to this point?

Andy, there are from what I've read so far, there are a few people floating about on the forum who have had their N52 mapped, and I haven't yet read a bad word about the results, although as with all these things it is hard to prove explicitly what gains have been made without visiting an independent dyno before and after. As I've said though, I'm not really interested in setting the world alight with heaps more power, just optimising the delivery as much as possible in conjunction with the other parameters described in my OP, with the intended end-result of making it a bit more of a driver-oriented car!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(