Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How ingiouse are you with loading the boot with roof down?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

How ingiouse are you with loading the boot with roof down?

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:32 am

Hi,

Well the other day, I had to carry an few computers to an customers office.

But the Weather was nice, and took me about 10mins to get them in the book - safely and getting the roof down as well!

I wished I took an photo, there must be lots of stories in how we engineer loading the boot - and still get the roof down.

californiagirl

Re: How ingiouse are you with loading the boot with roof dow

Post by californiagirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 am

I was surprised to get 4 bags of grocery shopping in the one we had to test drive last weekend and still got the roof down :D It was in a single layer under the shelf, and all I couldn't get in was the bag with the bottles of wine which was too tall :( Still, thats more than I can get in my mini and it wasn't squashed. Can't wait til September 8)

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 am

The E85 boot is vast. . . .should see what we managed to pack for the National. Read up on how much craig3.2 gets into his MR for the National - amazing! :o

Somewhere on the forum is a photo of a member with two bicycles strapped to the back of his Zed - impressive!

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Chii

Post by Chii » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 am

Hi TwinTurbo,

How often do you use the Z4 for work?

I've only just got mine and possibly will use it for work too? I've got the older one (2007) but still just wanted to know how you find it for work and things?

Cheers

Titan

Post by Titan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

The e89 has "convenient loading" although this may be part of the optional Comfort Access package.
It is described thus in the Manual:
Convenient loading*
When you are close to the vehicle, the remote control for Comfort Access can be used to par-tially raise the open hardtop for more conve-nient loading of the cargo area.
1. Briefly press the button and, within one second, press again until the retractable hardtop stops in an intermediate position. The luggage compartment lid opens slightly.
2. Open the luggage compartment lid, press the cargo area partition upward and stow the cargo in the cargo area.
3. Press down the cargo area partition until it engages on both sides and close the lug- gage compartment lid.
4. Press the button for a longer period to fold the retractable hardtop back in.

It is in theory present on my Zed but I find it very difficult to get it to work!

When going on holiday it's amazing how much can be stowed under the load space limit cover (with the roof up) yet still leave plenty of space in the little "letter box" aperture that remains when the roof is opened.
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

Z42b

Post by Z42b » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:42 pm

It would be interesting to see pictures of what people get in their cars! The wife is using 'There's not enough space in the boot for when we go away or buy anything big' to try and put me off buying one :o I just reply with 'you will just have to pack less' lol. The good thing is these days, anything big is normally free home delivery anyway ;)

I gave the wife and her sister a lift to town this morning, her sister asked if I was still thinking about getting a BMW, I replied 'Yes a Z4', she replied "That's only got two seats hasn't it?'...I looked at her face in the mirror and knew exactly what she was thinking...no more lifts for me lmao :D

Have any of you got pictures of luggage that you have fitted in your boot?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:The E85 boot is vast. . . .should see what we managed to pack for the National....

There are suitcases made by "Tripp" that are 410mm wide and as the width between the rails in the boot ar 820mm apart, two fit in very snugly!
They are a lot cheaper than fitted luggage but do the job just as well. I had them in my E85. Unfortunately they don't do anything that does the same for the E89 :(
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:36 pm

I used to be able to get loads in the zed, even with roof down.
It's handy having two 'boots' now tho I must admit.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Chii wrote:Hi TwinTurbo,

How often do you use the Z4 for work?

I've only just got mine and possibly will use it for work too? I've got the older one (2007) but still just wanted to know how you find it for work and things?

Cheers
ALL THE TIME!

However I really take any equipment to clients, but I think I could get an server in there - but roof will be up :x

If its not raining = roof is down

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Z42b wrote:It would be interesting to see pictures of what people get in their cars! The wife is using 'There's not enough space in the boot for when we go away or buy anything big' to try and put me off buying one :o I just reply with 'you will just have to pack less' lol. The good thing is these days, anything big is normally free home delivery anyway ;)

I gave the wife and her sister a lift to town this morning, her sister asked if I was still thinking about getting a BMW, I replied 'Yes a Z4', she replied "That's only got two seats hasn't it?'...I looked at her face in the mirror and knew exactly what she was thinking...no more lifts for me lmao :D

Have any of you got pictures of luggage that you have fitted in your boot?
The z4 gives you some hidden gems - helps to keep the cost of ownership down - and transfer to the wifes :driving: :rofl:

Titan

Post by Titan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Z42b wrote:Have any of you got pictures of luggage that you have fitted in your boot?
Here you go:
2 leather holdhalls (1.5 for her 0.5 for me :o ) a cool bag and still loads of room for beer :) for me

Managed 2 weeks around France in the Z3 with smaller canvas bags like this
The Z4 boot is bigger but more boxy in shape.
Did a week in Scotland and managed to bring whisky back as well!
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:14 pm

I've got roadster bags fitted luggage. I paid about £140 for the set but if I sell or change the car I'm sure they will be quite easy to sell on!

Z42b

Post by Z42b » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Cheers for that Titan ;)
ronk wrote:I've got roadster bags fitted luggage. I paid about £140 for the set but if I sell or change the car I'm sure they will be quite easy to sell on!
I went on their site but it doesn't seem to be finished! http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/BMW-Roadst ... ggage.html

When I went out for a test drive I did ask the guy that was with me if his seat was all the way back, he said it was, yet it seemed to have a lot of space behind it! So I suppose small squishy bags are the answer!!!!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Z42b

Have a look at http://www.koffer24.de
They supply at a cheaper rate than the manufacturer and ship to the uk at a reasonable rate.
I bought mine on this site and as the pound is quite strong at this time you'll get a bargain!

Select autokoffer tag - €148 :thumbsup:
Last edited by ronk on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 pm

I can go to Costco, go mental and still have room to get the roof down. I can also go for a trip away and as other have pointed out get the roof down. One aspect for me when buying the car was making sure I could get our 4 man massive pop up tent and other camping stuff in the boot which it does without any issues. I used to be able to get it in my E88 so this was a must! I've had to invest in new chairs, A because a bucket of a skyline covered mines in oil at CPOP and B because the others didn't fold down enough. New ones do :thumbsup:

When I bought the car the dealer suggested an 'Andy Murray' type holdall for the boot so that way it could be squashed down.

This used to make people scratch their head. I'm sure the E89 even more so.

Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring