Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which cylinder is which, P306 misfire on cyl 6.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rG-tom

Which cylinder is which, P306 misfire on cyl 6.

Post by rG-tom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Hey guys,

I've got a "misfire on Cylinder 6 (P306) that comes up if i leave the car to idle when cold. If i drive away immediately from starting, it never comes up, and if i reset the code using an ODB2 reader then it goes away and doesn't come back unless i leave the car idling for >30 seconds when cold.

The car is also not perfect even when warm, big flat spot around 1800rpm etc and sounds a little rough.

I change the coil pack on what i thought was the 6 cylinder, and the car DID seem a lot better after, but a week later it's as bad as ever if not worse! Which one is cylinder 6? I have taken it to be the one closest to "firewall"...is this right? If not, it may have been just placebo! I have an m54b30 engined 2003 Z4 3.0i

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.
2003 E85 3.0 Grey w/ Red
Factory: Heated Memory seats, DSP, Prof. Nav, TV, Cruise, Bi-Xenons, PDC, Cruise Control, Wind Diffuser
Mods: Gaptech RCH+, MSport Mfunction Steering Wheel, ZHP Stubby knob, black gaitors

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Which cylinder is which, P306 misfire on cyl 6.

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:55 pm

#1 nearest the front bumper
#6 closest to the driver

Although I had a code saying misfire on #4 and it was actually #1 that had the issue.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

rG-tom

Post by rG-tom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 pm

mmm-five wrote:#1 nearest the front bumper
#6 closest to the driver

Although I had a code saying misfire on #4 and it was actually #1 that had the issue.
Thanks for that....that sounds brilliant though, how did you diagnose it in the end and was it the coilpack?
2003 E85 3.0 Grey w/ Red
Factory: Heated Memory seats, DSP, Prof. Nav, TV, Cruise, Bi-Xenons, PDC, Cruise Control, Wind Diffuser
Mods: Gaptech RCH+, MSport Mfunction Steering Wheel, ZHP Stubby knob, black gaitors

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:11 pm

rG-tom wrote:Thanks for that....that sounds brilliant though, how did you diagnose it in the end and was it the coilpack?
Trial & error as we kept swapping out plugs, coils, etc. on #4 and it didn't seem to make any difference.

The only thing that made any difference was putting a coil from #2, #3, #5 or #6 onto #1. We'd reset the codes and it would be fine. If we swapped them back (remember, we didn't touch #4 as we thought it was faulty) then the error on #4 came back.

We did this for about an hour, put them all back where they were originally and then put a spare coil pack on #1 and all was fine. We then double-checked by removing the spare coil pack and putting the original back into #1 and this time it didn't bring up any error.

We started & stopped the car a couple of times, took it for a short drive, and everything was still working.

So all I can assume is there was either a dodgy sensor, or the fiddling had put something back in the slightly different position that made it work.

That was about 60k miles ago now and despite carrying a spare coil just in case, it's never missed a beat - other than when I had that useless* Simota intake on.

* supposedly now fixed so that the car doesn't cut out when you floor it down a motorway slip road :headbang:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options