Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Many simple questions

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
New2Zed

Many simple questions

Post by New2Zed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 pm

As my username will tell you I am new to the Z4 and even BMW. Furthermore, I am guilty of not letting you out at junctions, :lol: a sin for which I profoundly apologise as I may well be about to see the light as I am looking for a roadster and the Z4 is now the top of my list.

The model I am looking at is the sDrive 20i M Sport, probably with the auto box and it will be mainly driven by my wife who is more interested in looking good rather than driving fast, hence the smaller engine.

I have studied the official BMW website as well as the various motor mag reviews, have not yet had a test drive but I do have a few questions.

Does the designation 'i Drive' actually have any meaning or refer to anything?

The mag reviewers all seem to shy away from the M Sport configuration on the grounds of a compromised ride, is this really such an issue?

The auto box on this model I believe is not a double clutch arrangement but a seven speed 'sport' box. Anyone any experiences of this gearbox?

And the biggy, run flat tyres. Are they a blessing or a curse. If a curse, can the existing rims take normal tubeless tyres. As I am looking at something around a year old a tyre change might be imminent so the opportunity to switch could be there.

I apologise if any or all of these points are covered already on this forum.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Many simple questions

Post by Stark » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Well I think the M Sport looks the nuts especially with the 326 M Sport wheels. I use the runflats in London, and they have been fine. I probably don't have the nuts to risk being at warranty dilemma if anything happened suspension or wheel related, as it have been warned that cover may be at risk.

I have driven the standard auto, and it's a good unit. I use a DCT with mine, and I would have been just as happy with the standard auto. But the DCT is very very good :thumbsup:

zztop

Many simple questions

Post by zztop » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:59 pm

With the standard 18 inch wheels and adaptive suspension, the m sport ride does not seem compromised to me at all, in fact it's pretty compliant. Having said that, most of the second hand cars I've seen all have the 19 inch wheels (and m sport as well) which I did not like at all, I felt the bigger wheels tramlined a bit too much, plus the ride was firmer.

The standard auto on the 2.0i is an 8 speed and is fabulous, love it to bits, it's more than quick enough for road driving and smooth enough when you're feeling laid back.

I wouldn't risk leaving someone I cared about with non-run flats and no spare, I'm not sure about the efficacy of a can of tyreweld, others may chip in here.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:06 pm

My 35i doesn't tramline at all.......it must be on a case by case basis.....mine is very compliant.mi must admit I am always tempted with normal tyres, but I have heard some people say the ride is vastly different in sometimes a bad way. The cars were not designed, so they say, to be run on non run flats....

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:09 pm

iDrive is the build in computer system. The main function is navigation but it offers all sorts of other goodies. It's not worth adding on a new purchase due to the price buy nice on a used car.
If you actually meant S Drive then that means the car is rear wheel drive. BMW have two terms. X Drive for 4WD and S Drive for RWD. I don't think you can actually get the Z4 with X Drive so it's a rather pointless label.

Adaptive M-Sport suspension is a brilliant option. On the normal setting it's more comfortable than the standard suspension and on Sport or Sport+ it firms up for cornering ability.

Ditch the runflats. They are the cause of the wheel cracking issue across the BMW range and terrible for both ride and handling. They also seem to puncture easily.

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

R.E92 wrote:iDrive is the build in computer system. The main function is navigation but it offers all sorts of other goodies. It's not worth adding on a new purchase due to the price buy nice on a used car.
If you actually meant S Drive then that means the car is rear wheel drive. BMW have two terms. X Drive for 4WD and S Drive for RWD. I don't think you can actually get the Z4 with X Drive so it's a rather pointless label.

Adaptive M-Sport suspension is a brilliant option. On the normal setting it's more comfortable than the standard suspension and on Sport or Sport+ it firms up for cornering ability.

Ditch the runflats. They are the cause of the wheel cracking issue across the BMW range and terrible for both ride and handling. They also seem to puncture easily.
Sorry, yes, I meant sDrive.

I am looking for a nice used car and there seems to be a reasonable selection although most seem to be white, not a colour I would choose personally as I like to see a nice glossy shine.

You refer to 'adaptive' M-Sport suspension. Is all M-Sport suspension 'adaptive' or is that an added option with standard M-Sport suspension just being lowered and stiffened?

I have a friend who was stranded on the M1 as he had exceeded the safe distance on his punctured run flat and he was advised by BMW assist not to travel any further. He now has normal tyres fitted and carries two cans of tyre weld in his 335i. I presume then that 'normal' tyres will fit run flat rims.

Thanks everyone for their advice so far.
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

envy

Post by envy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:06 pm

I have the very spec the OP is talking about. Having done 18k miles in mine. I would say the m sport with 19 inch wheels does not tramline in the slightest. i did find that my old e86 tramlined like a bugger though

the auto is great, especially in sport mode which gives it a crisper, sharper throttle response. its great on motorway cruising too doing only 2k revs at 80mph

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:17 pm

envy wrote:I have the very spec the OP is talking about. Having done 18k miles in mine. I would say the m sport with 19 inch wheels does not tramline in the slightest. i did find that my old e86 tramlined like a bugger though

the auto is great, especially in sport mode which gives it a crisper, sharper throttle response. its great on motorway cruising too doing only 2k revs at 80mph
So am I safe to assume that you're pretty happy with your choice of spec Envy? including the 19" run flats.

I only live 12 miles north of you in Wirksworth so we will probably use the same roads which can be less than well maintained to say the least.
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

I've got a 20i msport, although manual, with the 19" wheels. I don't find the ride horrific and don't think it's particularly worse than the 18" ones tbh. I don't find it tramlines either. While I find the concept of run flats fairly pointless, I will most likely stick with them mainly due to the cracking issue, as I'd imagine BMW would wash their hands of the problem if a wheel cracks on non run flat tyres.

I did drive a pre LCI auto, which is eminently better than the Mercedes equivalent but never really got on with the PDK style push and pull wheel shifters.

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Simon20VT wrote:

I did drive a pre LCI auto, which is eminently better than the Mercedes equivalent but never really got on with the PDK style push and pull wheel shifters.
Thanks Simon20VT but I am afraid your last statement (above) is lost on a newbie like me.

Any chance you could explain what an LCI auto is? I don't know what PDK stands for but when you say "push and pull", I presume you mean that you can change both up and down with either paddle rather than up with one and down with the other.

I only started looking seriously at the Z4 today so this turning out to be quite a steep learning curve.
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:13 pm

He's referring to the old auto 'box which is a 6 speed. All 20i autos are the 8 speed with left/right pull/pull paddles. The adaptive suspension is an option and as you are looking for a year old car I think you my struggle to find an auto with adaptive in the colour/spec you want.

You can fit non run-flats if you want to.

envy

Post by envy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:12 am

New2Zed wrote:So am I safe to assume that you're pretty happy with your choice of spec Envy? including the 19" run flats.

I only live 12 miles north of you in Wirksworth so we will probably use the same roads which can be less than well maintained to say the least.
yes, i wouldnt have it any other way..... maybe in red but otherwise no regrets whatsoever

i do have to deal with some horrendous roads but dont think the run flats are that bad and they did save me when i had a nail through them once, drove back 60 miles on them and they only lost 3psi of pressure so they did really well there and i was able to repair it as the tyre pressure never dropped less than 30psi

i think the 326m wheels on mine are the best looking ones around for the z4 and you wont regret having them or the m sport kit which is very nice

zztop

Post by zztop » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 am

Well, I hate to disagree with everyone, but I definitely detected some pull through the steering on the car I test dove with 19s, maybe not a massive amount but it was there. Is it possible there was something wrong with it?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 am

Think tramlining depends alot on the road surface camber etc although I've never experienced it on the Zed with either 18 or 19s with runflats.

Regarding ride and runflats theres no real difference between 18s and 19s. Only you will know whether you like the ride quality with runflats as for some its not a problem and others hate them with a vengeance, so you will just have try it.

I'm in the former camp and have no issues with runflats and the safety and convienience advantages for me personally far outweighs swapping to standard tyres. Remember also the suspension is tuned for runflat tyres.

Tim.

Paul c

Post by Paul c » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:09 pm

+1 on the above no issues with tramlining on the 19ins had a lot more on the3series and 1coupe on the 18ins don't find the ride to hard at all and I'm an old boy of 60yrs
growing old disgracefully. :lol: :) :thumbsup:
2013 Z435i msport manual Glacier silver heated seats 326alloys comfort pack [ Gone ]
Porsche Cayman PDK 20in platinum alloys park control sound system + heated seats
Mini Cooper Countryman White black Roof and wheels Chilli Pack