Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! Abs/dsc sensor problem!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Nazy06

Help! Abs/dsc sensor problem!

Post by Nazy06 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 pm

So woke up this morning and tried to drive to work (ended up getting the bus) I had an array of lights that had come up on the dash, which included the hand brake light, deflated tyre light, dsc light, abs light. Upon driving it felt as though the hand brake was on but it wasn't and it was very gittery when I tried to take it out of my drive, then there was also a funny smell! I have a 2007 2.5i sport 27k on the clock.

And just been told by the AA that the Regulating system for abs/ebv/dsc/asc has failed and apparently it may be a case that the abs sensor has packed in, has anyone had these problems and have any ideas of what it could be and what to do? Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance

X-S-Z

Re: Help! Abs/dsc sensor problem!

Post by X-S-Z » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 pm

I've had this problem (or some what similar) on my 1 series and it was the ABS/DSC pump unit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600057
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35603

I would assume something similar on the Z4 but I may be way off the mark!
Current: Imola red Z4MR
Previous: Z4 3.0i SE, 118d SE

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes! Lots of here - plenty of discussion if you do a search

My ABS pump failed - its a very expensive part - circa £1500 plus fitting, I was lucky in that BMW paid for the vast majority so I will left with a bill of about £400.

Could be a multitude of things though, from a cheap ABS brake sensor all the way to the pump.
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

Nazy06

Post by Nazy06 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:36 pm

Great thank you for your help! I'm still investigating so hope to know more soon

chris g

Post by chris g » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 pm

if it is the pump and you dont have a warranty - you can often get yours repaired for 300 or so
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

stevenelmes5

Post by stevenelmes5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 am

i had all the above lights as well last month if you check out my post on it. mines turned out ot be a faulty ABS sensor. £100 to fix then i was back in buisness

Nazy06

Post by Nazy06 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I spoke to BMW and they said it maybe a faulty speed sensor as for some reason the speedo isn't working! They say it's safe to drive but errr without the speedo id rather not and risk a speeding ticket!! And as the tyre is being funny it may be a sticky caliper, so the other half currently has the wheels off at home.

Cyberface

Post by Cyberface » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm

I've got the same problem at the mo. happened after leaving my car for 14 days at the airport. I'm hoping just getting the codes reset will help

alhattab

Post by alhattab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 am

i had the same problem and i was in doubt that it was something big. however, it seemed to be a small sensor behind the rear tyre "ABS Sensor" cost $150. one spin and all those lights are off :D
03 Z4 3.0 Roadster | Sport & Premium Packages | Nav | AUX | Wind Deflector | Grey with Black Roof & Interior

Nazy06

DSC Control Unit fault - help!

Post by Nazy06 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Ok so my car went to BMW today after the ABS/DSC and handbrake lights came on! I have now been told that there is a fault with the DSC Control Unit and needs replacing. I know this is a classic fault having read the forum and there are many posts on the forum. I've been hit with a £1,300 bill to replace the DSC control unit. My question is, is the DSC Control Unit the same as the ABS Control Unit? I've been told there is a company called Ecutesting.com that will rebuild your pump and Ecu/module and send it back to you with a lifetime warranty for £195.

http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/pro ... 16203.html

A bit of clarification on the subject would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit confused.

On another point my speedometer is not working, is this related to the control unit and by replacing my control unit does anyone know if this will fix the speedo problem, maybe through your own experience.

I have a 2.5i 2007 Z4.

Any help appreciated :(

chris g

Re: DSC Control Unit fault - help!

Post by chris g » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

not good news im afraid

my 2007 2.5 did the same

the abs unit is the same - there are firms out there that will rebuild them. But, crucually, its the pump they rebuild, not the controller.

the thing to do is to take the number off the front of your dsc, its a big number that i m betting is 3452 6769164-02 - coz thats what mine is.

the problem i found was that the 3 firms that repair these couldnt repair mine, for any cost.

I ended up using the spares finder websites, the ones that contact all the spares companies in the country, and eventually after a few months, one turned up, actually 2 turned up on the same day... it cost £280

its in my kitchen waiting to be fitted

dont buy a dsc unit unless it has the exact same number as yours - i did that, it dosent work - i now have a perfectly working dsc that will work for a different z4 and i got a bill from the garage to boot....

oh and i dont think your speedo fault is connected, mine still works

you can - and i did, have an auto electrician turn the lights off on the dashboard, which means you can mot the car whilst you look for a reasonably priced dsc controller

it dosent have to be a £1600 problem, my dealer wanted £2200, so you are ahead on that front :-)
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Ouch.

I've had similar intermittent error lights but it was the ABS sensor on the master cylinder at fault. Still, with diagnostic and fitting it's £270 just to turn some lights off as it drove fine (yes, intermittently without ABS/DSC but that's ok) :thumbsdown:
3.0i

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Who gave the original quote/diagnosis of the problem?
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Nazy06

Post by Nazy06 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:33 pm

The original quote was from BMW as car went in for a diagnostics check

Nazy06

Post by Nazy06 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Lucky yours was just the sensor as I finally bit the bullet and sent it to BMW for a diagnostic check and they've come back and said the fault is the DSC Control Unit! Eek and hit me with a £1,300 bill. Needless to say I'm looking around for a better quote! Just a question though does anyone know if it's possible to send off and get the DSC Control Unit fixed? I've heard it can been done but these companies primary fix the pump!