Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Signature Size Limit?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
mikedav

Signature Size Limit?

Post by mikedav » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

This forum is pretty unique in not having a limit on signature image sizes...would you guys consider implementing one? There is nothing worse than having to scroll past the same huge image of someones car several times to see the actual content of the thread. There is one guy here with an image 800x600!!! Even 400x300 is too much for a signature IMO.

I used to be a forum mod and we implemented a limit of 350 wide x 150 high. Long and thin banner style is ok (as long as it doesn't make the pages too wide for low resolution screen users), its just these huge images that bug me....

Any thoughts?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Signature Size Limit?

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Sure, we have been discussing this for a while but I have had my hands full with other issues and just hadn't got around to it.

We have been policing it by PM'ing individuals in the mean time. I will get some guidelines set up asap, in the mean time please PM me if you know of any that need looking into.

Thanks,

Jim

EDIT: To be fair, the mods did bring it up with me ages ago, it just slipped through the net and I forgot about it.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:53 pm

I have not noticed any real large signatures but maybe there should be some limit without making the forum old and stogy like some are. The signatures make this a friendly place to be. We get to see a glimpse of the personality of others.

But it can really be over done. I am on other forums where there are audio video signatures and that gets old real fast. They take up most of any post that is done. There are others that don’t let you have signature or even use emotions until you have been on the forum for 100 years and have never said anything negative about any of the sponsors or said a nasty word ever in your life. I would not want to see this forum go that way.

As long as we are talking about things like that. Please do not put an area to post political or religious comments. With the election coming up in the US there may be some pressure to do so, but in my opinion there are many other places on the Internet to do that. It would not stop someone from saying something political or religious in a post but I don’t think we need an area just for that stuff here. It tends to polarize factions on a forum and puts groups against groups. If the forum is trying to increase hits so that more or better sponsorship can be obtained, there are better ways to do that. Ok shoot me if you must. :fuelfire:

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2 Zero » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:55 pm

OK, who's the offend soul??
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:57 pm

WaZZZZman wrote: Ok shoot me if you must. :fuelfire:
Would that be a polical or religious action if I did that? :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 pm

2 Zero wrote:OK, who's the offend soul??
A Malidives blue one I think :wink:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 pm

WaZZZZman wrote:Please do not put an area to post political or religious comments.
You made some good points, but I think you are jumping the gun a little bit. We encourage debate on here (and judging by some of the posts, mass-debate ;) ) and we are not going to create a "religous and political" section.

All we are talking about here is a sensible limit to prevent the user experience from being hampered by endless scrolling.

Don't worry, we're not doing anything drastic here
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 pm

I have created a guidelines document int he forum section:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5402

I will alter the welcome email to include reference to this link, as well as create a sticky in the newbie thread pointing to it. If you have any questions please reply to this thread as oposed to the guidelines thread (which is locked).

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 pm

WaZZZZman wrote: The signatures make this a friendly place to be. We get to see a glimpse of the personality of others.
I agree, I just think they should be 'signatures' and not 'portraits' if you get my drift!
sp3ctre wrote:I have created a guidelines document int he forum section
Thats awesome, nice one.

I know its a pain in the arse as you have to manually remove dodgy ones with most forum software I've moderated...hopefully people read it and keep them to a decent size.
2 Zero wrote:OK, who's the offend soul??
I ain't no grass guv'nor! :P

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 pm

hehe, all you "forum vigilante's" keep calm... not everone is as savvy with Photoshop as others so re-sizing images for a sig can be a challenge. Go easy on those who break the rule, am sure they dont mean to.... mmm, maybe I should have a "postcount + 50" for anyone who has an "assist" with a sig resize LOL! :poke:

Kdawg

Post by Kdawg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 am

I agree with the 150 pixel height. I'd actually go a little more stringent like 100-125. Most sites that don't have a limit I'll turn off sigs, but I haven't done that here..yet. Also, I've seen some sites have the option to only display a person's sig once on a page. That way if they made multiple posts, you only get hit with their signature once, which helps cut down on the scroll quite a bit.
Last edited by Kdawg on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past: 1999 z3 2.8 - Arctic Silver Metallic
Present: 2005 z4 3.0i - Titanium Silver

enfield

Post by enfield » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:37 am

For the less tech-savvy folk:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:54 am

Kdawg wrote:I agree with the 150 pixel height. I'd actually go a little more stringent like 100-125. Most sites that don't have a limit I'll turn off sigs, but I haven't done that here..yet. Also, I've seen some sites have the option to only display a person's sig once on a page. That way if they made multiple posts, you only get hit with their signature once, which helps cut down on the scroll quite a bit.
Interesting ideas there... not sure about the display once idea... is good but the more mods we use the higher the rish of breaking the forum on upgrades.... I will look into it though.

Let's see how we go and we can always reign it in a little if need be. This is the first forum I have ever admin'd, so I am kinda feeling my way a bit :D

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:12 am

Feel your way around this...... :P :evil: :poke: :fuelfire: :lol: :rofl: :? 8)
Member ZSCCA

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:28 am

I'm friggin' drunk, and I still picked up on this bit:
is good but the more mods we use the higher the rish of breaking the forum on upgrades
e'f the rish, we got plenty more to take care of 'm, cap'n! :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M