Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M - where to go next?

"M" Specific discussion
ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4M - where to go next?

Post by ranski » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I thought PVR bought flipper spec, as he retro-fitted satnav?

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

mrlozzer
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mrlozzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Noble M12...? Left-field choice!
Sold:3.0i|Sterling Grey|heated leather|nav|DSP|18" CSL reps|452s|eibach|facelift & de-ginger|aero skirts|alcantara MFSW|CF badges|DICE|cruise|gaptech|strut brace|Alcantara M seats

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:10 pm

flimper wrote:Porsche Cayman S and Boxster would be slower than a Z4M? And a 911 out of the price range?
Would you really notice the difference though? Cayman S would be a nice steed.
ranski wrote:I thought PVR bought flipper spec, as he retro-fitted satnav?
On his first Z4.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:23 pm

I had a Boxster S before the M and the gearbox cost me £££ when it failed. Would cost a lot to buy a good one from Porsche with a warranty
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

my mate dave the diver has recently swapped his carrera 4s ( 996 i think ) for a 52 plate 55 amg, like new condiion, so many gadgets, excellent build feel; adaptive suspension, all the toys, goes like stink, just acres of torquey grunt, feels a bit like a horse that you're not quite in control of,we both bottled out at 140 with the top down. if you want a long distance gt to cruise across europe, you would arrive wherever as fresh as when you left, provided you can afford to fuel it. you are early 20's,you have an m, i am 52 and have an m, and i felt, as lovely as the merc is, it still felt a bit old manish for me,i'm not ready for that car yet, but wouldnt rule it out in another 5 or 10 years. if i feel that way i think someone of your youthfulness may feel much the same, once the novelty of the grunt has worn off, the m coupe attracts massively more attention, is quicker through the twisties and is so much more a drivers car, if you feel the need to change the M , i think you will probably end up with a 911 of some description, never had one but been in a few and they are very very good, still think the m will stand out more as just so rare, i would just enjoy looking and testing for a while as that is a lot of fun, and just see how things compare and which does it for you most,by having the M tho, the bar is set very high , drive everything, there no rush and you have the m allready, dont think you are wasting the garages time by looking at loads, you are seriously in the market and turning up in your car you will be taken seriously, enjoy the next few weeks :driving: :thumbsup:

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:04 pm

For the money, they are hard to beat....
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

georgie_no23

Post by georgie_no23 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 pm

SL55 AMG............................BEAST :evil:
07 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
13 E93 M3 Convertible - Limited Edition 500 - DCT & EDC

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:30 pm

flimper wrote:Porsche Cayman S and Boxster would be slower than a Z4M? And a 911 out of the price range?
I'm not sure an S is slower than the Z4M, my Boxster Spyder with PDK is scarily rapid to 70 or I am just getting used to it!!
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 pm

At £25K a 997 will be a ropey old one. Need to be looking more at £40k for a good one as said, but as long as the car has been looked after well it should be fine. Be wary looking at cheaper cars as they are affordable but people dont look after them properly. But servicing wise dads 997 S costs less to service than my M.

Its like any car of this risk.. get one with a warranty then you have piece of mind. I prefer my dads 911 S to my Z4Mc. But mine was half the price of his and the 911 is not twice the car. But it bears the best and most recognisable sports car design and is a great thing to drive nothing like it. All MHO obviously, I dont see why a Porsche being the natural upgrade choice is a bad thing... its just makes sense the everyday supercar.

I would say M3 or other but as said they are not the same they are not thorough bread sportscars as they are big heavy cars. Fantastic but not the same. But you can carry 5, I would change my Z4Mc for an M3 because I love them too, dad had one before he got the 911 and that V8 is epic and I was looking on BMW used approved yesterday at them. £20k will get a good one £30k would get a stonking on with no miles specced the the nines and less than 2 years old! The one dad had was £65k so at £30K are a bargain.

Rialas

Z4M - where to go next?

Post by Rialas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Probably is....One tried taking me at the lights :D. :poke:

Ps. All within the speed limit.
Last edited by Rialas on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

daz05

Post by daz05 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Be nowt in it up to legal speeds.

Not quite in keeping with the criteria but the E92 M3, GTR, R8 and 997 C2S would be on my short list for an upgrade. The 997 is a good car, it's a better drive than the Zed, steering, braking both better but the noise is a bit quiet for my liking.

You should also consider a good AUC CSL if you can find one.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:
Rialas wrote:You would have to be looking at 997's in the region of 40k to be a half decent replacement for a z4mc.
At that price range you'll be seeing a big hit in depreciation every year.

And they're so common.
The fact that everyone goes to Porsche is what puts me off. Also while a 3er or 5er draws the wrath of the anti BMW brigade, the Zed seems immune so far. Trouble is, the Porsche is about the only usable supercar. Nothing has made me think seriously about changing unless I go insane and buy an Aerial Atom 300. Now I've got access to a free garage I'm seriously tempted...

iv'e come from the opposite direction . , after the usual lifetime longing i recently had 2 x 911's & did consider a cayman instead of the zed but no regrets & no yearn to go back , although a week motoring around the french countryside in my 996 gt3kit is a cherished memory :roll:
my advice is aircooled is depreciation proof but not a daily drive experience or £35k 997 but you will lose a shedload on that .
my best car ever ? up to now of course , , , BMW 645CI :driving: try one out & you,l know what i mean :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo + Golf R

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:59 pm

If your going Porka then it needs to be a Spyder, Cayman R or a GT3 the rest are boring!

Although the 991 S is a nice car but at 100k+ its a big ask!
IMOLA Z4///MR

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:14 pm

before you go porka http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/the-10- ... s#image=11

& another noted difference since i switched allegiance is the amount of posts on 911uk dominated by mechanical problem's or "why has my car lost ????? value " ?
seems much less prevalent on Z4-forum ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo + Golf R

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:31 pm

mr wilks wrote:
my best car ever ? up to now of course , , , BMW 645CI :driving: try one out & you,l know what i mean :thumbsup:
I had a 635d for a week a while back, and it felt quicker then my Boxster S, a really excellent machine
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise