Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quoted £140 + Vat for a new key....Ouch

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
SDS

Quoted £140 + Vat for a new key....Ouch

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

I had seen a top end figure of £100 bounded about on here before, but was not expecting £140.

I have the master plastic key and just one immobiliser, so I need another.

Is there no other way around this?

I realsie this has been discussed before quite a bit, but I can't quite grasp the outcome of the eBay key talk!

Cheers.

Max

Re: Quoted £140 + Vat for a new key....Ouch

Post by Max » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:13 am

Try other BMW agents, Some will be cheaper. I paid £133.33 inc Vat last July. My previous car was an Audi, a replacement key cost £180!!

SDS

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 am

Max wrote:Try other BMW agents, Some will be cheaper. I paid £133.33 inc Vat last July. My previous car was an Audi, a replacement key cost £180!!
£180! Wow. That makes me feel slightly better.

I'll do a ring-around

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

Ebay key

You may be able to get a blank and get it cut to physically fit and open the lock
You can easily programme any Zed key to set and disarm your alarm (ebay, old scrap key,e tc.)

You CANNOT replicate the transponder in the key that pairs to the engine to allow it to start

In your case as you need a new key and not putting internals into a new case it's no use.

Hope that helps
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

SDS

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Ebay key

You may be able to get a blank and get it cut to physically fit and open the lock
You can easily programme any Zed key to set and disarm your alarm (ebay, old scrap key,e tc.)

You CANNOT replicate the transponder in the key that pairs to the engine to allow it to start

In your case as you need a new key and not putting internals into a new case it's no use.

Hope that helps
Ahh okay. Understood!

Seeing as I have the plastic key to start the engine, I could just get one cut and programmed to open the doors/ set the alarm...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am

Well you would need a blank blade then find someone who cuts this type, to cut and then insert that into a scrap Z4 key.

Frankly I can't see the point, just shop around, bite the bullet and buy a key. You'll need it when you sell it and have all the convenience of 2 propoer keys while owning and in time I bet the plastic key will break off in the ignition :thumbsdown:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

SDS

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am

Fair point.

Just been quoted £130 inc vat, so it's on it's way down I guess... :?

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am

and on the subject of keys, make sure you use both keys periodically to charge the batteries

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am

SDS wrote:Fair point.

Just been quoted £130 inc vat, so it's on it's way down I guess... :?
have you checked with Joe @ Sopers of Lincoln? he knows about the forum and might be able to do a better deal for you.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Taz x wrote:and on the subject of keys, make sure you use both keys periodically to charge the batteries
Tempting fate here, but I have nearly always used the same key since purchasing my Z and on the odd occaision I have used the 2nd key (usually after reading something like this) it has always worked. Never quite got my heads round the fact the ignition barrell must be live to allow charging.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:15 pm

RichardG wrote: Never quite got my heads round the fact the ignition barrell must be live to allow charging.

ditto, but I have read it several times on here, I have also pondered over how the postive and negative are connected

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Taz x wrote:
RichardG wrote: Never quite got my heads round the fact the ignition barrell must be live to allow charging.

ditto, but I have read it several times on here, I have also pondered over how the postive and negative are connected
Surely it will be done by induction charging. Similar to the toothbrushes that fit on a stand with no wired connection?

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:55 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Taz x wrote:
RichardG wrote: Never quite got my head round the fact the ignition barrell must be live to allow charging.
Surely it will be done by induction charging. Similar to the toothbrushes that fit on a stand with no wired connection?
That might be the case but it would still require a power source (I know it's the ignition so there is one there) and then some kind of generator (My only real dealings with induction are for heat generation, warming up bearings or more lately getting layers of Polyethelene via an aluminium layer to high enough temperatures to allow fusion with other layers)
Anyone got a wiring diagram or is an ignition barrel £500 or a £1000 for the 'M'
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

SDS

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:21 pm

navid.v wrote:have you checked with Joe @ Sopers of Lincoln? he knows about the forum and might be able to do a better deal for you.
Thanks, I'll give them a go. :)

SDS

Post by SDS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Ah, just thought thought; will they not need to see the car at some point? I'm in Essex...