Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dab radio

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
goon

Dab radio

Post by goon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Just wondered if anyone has swapped out the standard radio/aerial for dab items,and how much of a job/pain it was? (Planet rock,absolute 80s nut)

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Dab radio

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:29 pm

i wouldn't at the moment, I can't get a DAB signal where i live

VvrooomM

Dab radio

Post by VvrooomM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:46 pm

What kit would you use, can it be done with oem front somehow?
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I have DAB in my car and find it a pain, the signal is hardly there and i don't have a stubby so that's not to blame, most places i go i can't get the signal or it keeps cutting out. Do you know anyone in your area who has dab and is it reliable before spending the money and effort?
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm

i bought a portable DAB radio for work, i work all over the place, i don't even bother trying to use it now, i could never get a good signal

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm

When I asked about it for other mota, dealer said was biggest con going in a car. Had had lots of complaints of signal constantly cutting in & out around Huntingdon (yup, a proper dealer giving proper advice)

Suggest you find someone you know who has one in their car, check if they listen to your stations & then see how they get on with it. FM is NOT being switched off... See this post from the net

When will FM be switched off?

A lot of people are under the mis-conception that because analogue TV will be switched off in 2012 that also means that FM and AM radio will be switched off in 2012 as well. This is not correct, because as you will be able to read below, no date has been set for FM to be switched off by -- there hasn't even been a date set for AM to be switched off by. FM will eventually be switched off, but it almost certainly won't be before 2017, and it is more likely to be in around 2020.

Ofcom chief executive refuses to set date for FM switch-off

The following quote was made by Ofcom's chief executive, Ed Richards, in a speech at the Radio Festival on 10th July 2007:

"With the last FM licence now awarded, and DAB licensing set fair, there are some here today that would like to see a specific timescale set for the end of analogue radio now, similar to that in television.

Let me be clear. We do not believe that Government announcing a swift forced march to analogue switch-off in radio today would be in the interests of listeners or industry."

Problems with switching off FM

There are 100 - 150m FM radios in use, but only 5m DAB receivers have been sold so far.
By the time FM can be switched off, the UK will have switched to using DAB+, so the 5m DAB receivers sold so far will be
obsolete by then.
The BBC's Controller in charge of digital radio said recently that increasing coverage of its national DAB multiplex to the last ten percent of the population was "prohibitively expensive" and that "hybrid solutions" would be required. This means using DRM and/or DRM+, but there are virtually no receivers available that support DRM and the DRM+ standard hasn't been released yet.
No mass-produced cars contain DAB car stereos, let alone DAB+ car stereos. 
If FM is switched off when there are millions of cars that don't contain DAB+ car stereos, radio faces losing millions of in-car listeners -- DAB+ car adaptors could be produced, but having something like this on the dash-board would be an invitation to thieves to break in, which would lead to millions of people simply not bothering to buy a DAB+ car adaptor and just abandoning radio in favour of listening to CD/MP3 on their car stereo instead.
I've been told by someone that has a relation in the car industry that DAB is "years away" from being installed as standard in mass-produced cars because the cost of the FM receiver section of a car stereo is tiny in comparison to the cost
of including DAB. 
Notice that I didn't mention the issue of sound quality, which is because by the time FM can be switched off we'll have switched to DAB+ and the sound quality will have improved a lot compared to what it's like now, and also there will be broadband Internet radio streams for all of the bigger UK radio stations providing higher quality than on DAB+ -- in fact, we should see the vast majority of bigger UK radio stations providing broadband Internet streams providing higher quality than we're likely to see on DAB+ within the next year or two. Indeed, virtually all of GCap's stations are being streamed at 128 kbps WMA already, and the BBC stations will be streamed using 128 kbps AAC by the end of the year.

Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Short story... forget DAB...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for that Jembo, I for one had assumed that there would be this big switch off of the FM signal shortly and worrying about my radio in the car
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Don't agree at all.

I have DAB in my 330D and it's great. Would love a retro fit for the Z4M.

The quality is great and the choice of station so much better. Very little drop out.

Wouldn't order a car without it now.

Regards
Andrew