Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Pad Sensor Light Won't Go Out

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ga41

Re: Brake Pad Sensor Light Won't Go Out

Post by ga41 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 am

I agree with all above, once they trigger they need replacing. When you install your new ones the light will still be ON for a while (mine was for 2-3 days) and then go off by itself.

Lance, did you re-install the old one or new one? It is my understanding, as i mentioned ^, that once the sensor triggers then it's pretty much destroyed. I've wrecked two myself but that was due to my incompetence installing them....
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:41 am

GA, I re-used the old one.

I remember the problems with the light not going out and finding a thread via a google search, on bimmer somthing or other.

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am

Lance wrote:GA, I re-used the old one.

I remember the problems with the light not going out and finding a thread via a google search, on bimmer somthing or other.
That is odd! Everything i've read said that you needed new ones. Very interesting! It's not like i wait for the light to trigger to change mine but I'll keep that in mind for next time! I wear them out so quick (every about 8 months) that i swap them just to try different compounds.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 am

I may of been a numpty here :oops: :oops:

Having thought more about this, when I changed the pads, it too was not triggered by the wear sensors so doesn't really apply here. DOH!

I drove over a bit of debris on the motorway when I first got the car and it pulled the sensor out of the pad, thus bringing up the light. I replaced the still untriggered sensor and it was at this point the light remained on. This is when I used the 'ignition on for 45 seconds' process.

Apologies if I've confused matters.

Lance