Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth and Voice Control

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JDM

Bluetooth and Voice Control

Post by JDM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Just realised that if I hold the call button down on the steering wheel that it bleeps after a few seconds for you to say a command such as 'dial number', 'dial name', 'redial' Was this standard with bluetooth does anyone know or was it an upgrade?

Its not the best system in the world to be honest as when you say 'dial number' and it asks you to speak the number. When it relays it to you half of it is wrong.. Only one Ive managed to sucessfully use is redial :roll:

I tried 'why the f*** won't you work properly you american wench' and all I got was 'Sorry' and then 'System off' :?

Great
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

SuZ4

Re: Bluetooth and Voice Control

Post by SuZ4 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Could it be something to do with your Yorkshire accent ?? :P

I had same system on a 5 series, only used it once in 4 years, in my opinion its crap. Spent an hour or more once trying to use it, same as you i nearly came to blows with her :headbang: give up :wink:
- Silver Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - CB Aerial & Michelin PS3's

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 pm

SuZ4 wrote:Could it be something to do with your Yorkshire accent ?? :P

I had same system on a 5 series, only used it once in 4 years, in my opinion its crap. Spent an hour or more once trying to use it, same as you i nearly came to blows with her :headbang: give up :wink:
Thaa wot? I dunt know what thaa's on abart. :wink:

I think she can only understand American.. I might try adding "have a nice day y'all" at the end of it see where that gets me.
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Was this standard with bluetooth does anyone know or was it an upgrade?
think it was an option. Mine doesn't
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Try more of a german accent, and call her Fräulein - that should do the trick. :D
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Voice control depends on which ULF module you have. There were 13 issued in the series and iirc from around 8 onwards it have voice control, so later Zeds would get it, earlier not.

Never used it at all on either my Z4 or X5 despite both having it as I can recall numbers on the screen quicker than convince the system to do something
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I think ill be the same and never use it but its nice to know its there...

Z4Beemer, dont think she would understand German. She speaks with the most annoying American accent i've ever heard. She doesn't even make any sense.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 pm

You can always use 'dial name' - much better.

- RTFM : you record the names against the ones in your phonebook, thereby allowing you to easily recall them.

- quite cool when you have a passenger and you just say 'dial home'
8)
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Pope

Post by Pope » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 am

It is an optional extra.

I think very few came with it, but you can get this unlocked.

I was actually talking to a mate who I went to N24 with who is one of the top BMW mechanics in the country and he told me all these other goodies that can be unlocked on the Z, im waititng to see if he can do it and will let you all know.
My spelling and grammer is terrible, I'm very sorry.

Black Z4M Roadster purchased 5th March 2011

Pope - Can you guess what my name is??

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 am

I have used mine a few times... and i find it ok... even with the roof down.

You have to assign voice commands to your speed dial entries, which dont have to match the names in the phone book.. for example i have the voice command "sis" assigned to my sister, while her name is recorded in my address book.

My car also used to be able read text messages on my old BB perl .. however since changing to a new BB that feature no longer works... which isnt a bad thing.. as i left that off more often then on, as it reads them without warning.. so if you have a passenger they would hear it too... unlike a phone call which you can choose to ignore.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:43 pm

aquazi, do you set those (voice tags to speed dials) up in the comfort of your home or when the phone is connected to the car?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

w1phil

Post by w1phil » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Pope wrote:It is an optional extra.

I think very few came with it, but you can get this unlocked.
I had the M multifunction steering wheel retro fitted to my early '03 plate and my Indy unlocked this function.

It also enables control of the nav too. But on the whole it's very clunky and IMO a bit of a gimmick
Image Image
Extended Nappa, Carbon Dash, Pads & Hoses, CDV delete, Intravee II, OEM strut brace, black grills, Clutch stop, Gaptech OTH+

JDM

Post by JDM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for all the info people.I have added a few names to the phonebook this evening.

Car recognises every number im saying other than 4.. It thinks im saying 00 for some reason. Ive tried it in differnet accents and even got the GF to have a go saying it. Bloody annoying when just about all of the numbers I would want on speed dial have a 4 in it.. :headbang:

w1phil

Post by w1phil » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 pm

That's exactly the same issue I had. Also on the nav it could never follow my instructions properly.

When I had a courtesy car from BMW for a week I had to buy a cheap bluetooth headset and the voice dial on this was flawless. It makes you wonder why BMW can't get it sorted...

I've pretty much given up on the voice control now as can't be bothered arguing with it...