Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warranty direct

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
nick&sandra

Warranty direct

Post by nick&sandra » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Last edited by nick&sandra on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Warranty direct

Post by pvr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Biggest drawbacks of WD:

- Don't pay for diagnostic costs which BMW insist they do.
- Don't pay for the labour to get to the faulty part.

My X5 Glow Plug control unit went. Fault I read out and told BMW what needed doing.

Uncovered by WD was:

- Diagnostic of about £100
- Removal / refit of inlet manifold to get to the control box £250

So I still had to pay £350 + £50 excess = £400 for a £550 repair, which was a covered item.

Second claim: Gearbox sump oil seal weaping

- WD rejected claim as even though gearbox is covered, sump is covered, everything is covered but as there is no specific mention of the word "seal", it was not covered as only specific mentioned items are actually covered.

After a major argument, and as I was about to put the renewal quote in the shredder, they agreed to pay.

So as long as you are aware of battles and uncovered items, you will be ok :)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I am buying a new car, well second hand, and a lot of high end dealers use warranty wise I think, as their labour rates cover franchised dealers too. Not an endorsement, but worth a try.......

Also a forum member on the Range Rover site that I am a member of has his own finance company that now sells warrant packages which offer hi claim limits etc etc...PM if you want the number, :thumbsup:

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

pvr wrote:Biggest drawbacks of WD:

- Don't pay for diagnostic costs which BMW insist they do.
- Don't pay for the labour to get to the faulty part.

My X5 Glow Plug control unit went. Fault I read out and told BMW what needed doing.

Uncovered by WD was:

- Diagnostic of about £100
- Removal / refit of inlet manifold to get to the control box £250

So I still had to pay £350 + £50 excess = £400 for a £550 repair, which was a covered item.

Second claim: Gearbox sump oil seal weaping

- WD rejected claim as even though gearbox is covered, sump is covered, everything is covered but as there is no specific mention of the word "seal", it was not covered as only specific mentioned items are actually covered.

After a major argument, and as I was about to put the renewal quote in the shredder, they agreed to pay.

So as long as you are aware of battles and uncovered items, you will be ok :)
PVR, I've mentioned this in another thread, but I guess you've missed it.
WD DO pay for diagnostic cost and did so for me when I replaced my roof motor.
There is no mention of having to pay for labour costs to get to the faulty part in the policy document.

EDIT: Here's the other time I mentioned it (in more detail): http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... cs#p371076

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Suppose the big question is, whats going to go wrong with the car that will cost you £750? plus any excess etc

I used to have warranty then I realised, unless you are genuinly unlucky, i would always be out of pocket, especially as any good independant can do repairs cheaper than the main dealer and dont charge to Diagnose!! warranty insurance is all about the numbers game and peoples insecurity.
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

sjj84

Post by sjj84 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:07 pm

It wouldn't cost much more to get the BMW (Mondial) warranty. For less hassle, that's what I'd probably go for.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:17 pm

I had WD on a Mini and it paid for itself, WD were easy to deal with and will negotiate on the warranty price.

Quick tip, if your manufacturer warranty still has a couple of weeks left and it's fully serviced etc WD may offer their 'new car' premium cover designed for new grey imports. This covers just about everything and was well worth having at the price which was very cheap for the cover. WD paid out for main dealer repairs no problem.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Ewazix wrote:I had WD on a Mini and it paid for itself, WD were easy to deal with and will negotiate on the warranty price.

Quick tip, if your manufacturer warranty still has a couple of weeks left and it's fully serviced etc WD may offer their 'new car' premium cover designed for new grey imports. This covers just about everything and was well worth having at the price which was very cheap for the cover. WD paid out for main
dealer repairs no problem.
They offered this to me, and even though they kept dropping the price it was only pennies more than BMW, so wasn't worth the risk.

wills

Warranty direct

Post by wills » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

My warranty provided by a Volvo dealer (Z4 was taken in px) is through Car Care Plan. They cover Everything! From broken cup holders to a new engine & no excess, and valid at BMW dealers. Coming up for renewal which is £300 for 2 years.

I recently claimed £500 through Car Care Plan at a local dealer and they paid up no problem.

This however might only be available when you buy through a dealer, but silly not to renew & well worth looking into?

MRol

Post by MRol » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 am

My six year old Z$ 3.0 which I've owned from new. BMW Insureed Warranty last year was £434 this year it is £792. £0 access. So I rang around and Vehicle Warranty 4U andhave offered a 'Life Time' yes 'Life Time' insurance (as long as I keep the car and service it) Insurance same as the BMW done at BMW garage with £0 access for a one off payment of £689. Blimey this is good. What do you guys think?

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 am

Too good to be true? A phrase that popped into my mind :)

wills

Warranty direct

Post by wills » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

I can't believe it but I've found the warranty deal of the century!

My Z4's current warranty via Volvo can't be extended after all so I've been searching and received quotes of over £7-800 for the year :-0

I then called BMW approved warranty, and wait for it..... £34 per month with £100 excess, claim limit up to purchase price, full coverage apart from basic wear & tear. Basically a full BMW warranty. Age and mileage of car apparently aren't a factor, and they don't need to see the car prior to policy being approved. The only terms are that once the policy starts any claims in the first 4 weeks aren't covered, and any future servicing has to be done at a stealer, sorry - dealer.

Really can't believe this. If anyone interested just pm me or call them on 0871 2000199 (my local dealer gave me their number). (This also isn't an extended warranty as my current one is with Volvo). The company is called Mondial acting on behalf of BMW.

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm

wills wrote:I can't believe it but I've found the warranty deal of the century!

My Z4's current warranty via Volvo can't be extended after all so I've been searching and received quotes of over £7-800 for the year :-0

I then called BMW approved warranty, and wait for it..... £34 per month with £100 excess, claim limit up to purchase price, full coverage apart from basic wear & tear. Basically a full BMW warranty. Age and mileage of car apparently aren't a factor, and they don't need to see the car prior to policy being approved. The only terms are that once the policy starts any claims in the first 4 weeks aren't covered, and any future servicing has to be done at a stealer, sorry - dealer.

Really can't believe this. If anyone interested just pm me or call them on 0871 2000199 (my local dealer gave me their number). (This also isn't an extended warranty as my current one is with Volvo). The company is called Mondial acting on behalf of BMW.
A lot of people are with BMW Warranty. The 12 month policy would start in 4 weeks from when it was taken out.

Banbury

Post by Banbury » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Wills is right. We looked to extend the AUC warranty. And... after much searching and feedback from the forum went with Insured BMW Warranty via Mondial.