Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

how to use every inch of zed space?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dragonhead100

Re: how to use every inch of zed space?

Post by dragonhead100 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:15 pm

i went camping in france last week, and i was very happy wit how much i actually managed to fit into the car!

i took 2 massive black sportsbags, a tent, 2 sleeping bags, chairs, an air bed, the GFs collection of shoes, a rucksack and then a few extra little things which i stuffed in the side parts of the boot behind and in front of the wheel arches. i managed to keep enough space to have the top down too! :)

the little storage holes behind the seats are actually useful & i managed to put jackets and big pillows behind the seats too, with no compromise on seating position, in the end there was nothing in the passenger foot-well or on the GFs lap which made the drive comfy for her.

Before

After

Filled it to the brim! wish i had a picture of what i actually took layed out on the floor because i couldnt beleive it fitted and although i did sacrifice taking some things, i actually took more than i needed in the end! :rofl:
Adz - E85 Z4R 2.5, RCH+, 18" AC Type 4s, & a Stubby!

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Take less, i've learnt one thing over the years and thats packing far too many clothes for trips away.

Couple of pairs of shorts, jeans if it gets cold and half a dozen tees/shirts which a jumper/hoody can go over if it gets cold :D Easily fits in a soft sports bag - hard cases are a no no.

Shoes fit nicely behind the seats as do drinks bottles, if you need to attend a black tie event use a suit bag and hang it on the sneaky coat hooks in the roll bars.

Don't lose the ability to open the roof by collapsing the shelf, it doesnt give much more room and the wind noise cancels out any droning from the passenger seat :rofl:
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Cool Z4

Post by Cool Z4 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

We use 2 duffle bags. 1/2 mine and 1 1/2 hers. We also separate our toiletries into another bag. We are not neat packers, so we can manage to stuff a whole lot of stuff in the trunk by stuffing around the duffle bags. Use of hard suitcases leaves you no room to squeeze things in such as shoes, sweaters, etc... Of course, we pack for 4 days and stop to use the laundry. If we are just traveling and won't be in the same place for more than a night, we wear clothes for 2 days as well. You can wash out your undies and socks every night so you don't need to unpack. Do you really need to drag everything into the hotel at night? If not, pack so you don't have to. I can't post a pic from work or I would show you our trunk from our first trip a few years ago.
Of course, the first trip, my wife brought down her luggage and I blurted out something like "Its either you or the luggage, I don't have room for both" She learned to pack light. :D
ImageImage

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks guys some useful posts/pics there!
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

davegt

Post by davegt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm

If you have the little hooks on the wind deflector in the roll over hoops invest in a suit/jacket bag, I hang a couple of shirts/t-shirts in a bag on the hook with the seat right back to take a bit of the weight, saves a surprising amout of suitcase space :thumbsup:
Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 pm

There's a lot more room in the boot than it seems from the outside due to the letter box sized opening.

Note that our trunks are rated for 9.2 cubic feet of space (roof closed. 8.5 cu ft. roof open)

To put this in perspective. An e46 SEDAN has 10.7 cu. ft trunk.

Of course, those sedans also have back seats for storage too... but just comparing the boot alone and most people would be surprised at how much cargo room there actually is.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I dont have the hooks,can these be bought and screwed on or is it a new hoop job?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Quality job there Dragonhead100 :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

davegt

Post by davegt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:58 pm

andysat wrote:I dont have the hooks,can these be bought and screwed on or is it a new hoop job?
have a look at this link, they are a BMW part but not sure on the part number

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1226398
Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)