Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

how to use every inch of zed space?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andysat
Lifer
Lifer

how to use every inch of zed space?

Post by andysat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi all due to go away with my better half in a few weeks time,but with the amount of gear we are taking(holdall of hair products/equipment for a start :roll: ) we are going to need all the tips you seasoned trippers can offer,were thinking of using passenger footwell,cubby holes behind seats and rolling the knobs back to increase boot height,is that about it?-thanks
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: how to use every inch of zed space?

Post by Taz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Sifta as some pics of all his camping gear in his boot, suprising how much he got in there

Psy

Post by Psy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

http://www.just-roadsterbags.co.uk/bmw- ... s-i10.html

These guys are expensive, but make bespoke bag sets for roadsters that use up every inch of space in the boot.
There were some on eBay recently...

Si
'06 3.0si M-sport Auto
Midnight Blue, Pearl Leather, stubby, flappy paddles, foldy mirrors, OEM brace, defoamed, debadged, forum sticker, and now on Falken 452s!

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Simple truth is be brutal and only take what you really need, does your girlfriend really need to take 10 pairs of shoes, 3 handbags and more products than boots the chemist. As for clothes take the bear minimum and take half a day out somewhere and find a laundrette, admittedly not what you want to do in the middle of a holiday but a damm site easier than trying to cramp 2 weeks of clothes into the car.

I don't know about you but stuff in the passenger footwell would drive me mad even if I was driving, If I can't get it in the boot then doesn't get packed, generally speaking. The good lady wifes handbag being about the only exception to the rule.

As an aside I used to go away camping for a couple of weeks at a time while touring Europe on a Motorbike and managed to carry everything I needed.

Don't forget if you lift up the tray in the boot (roll the knobs back) you won't be able to lower the roof.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Slip a woven nylon strap around the shoulders of the seat, under the clip for the seatbelt (assuming you have tombstone seats). From this you can hang a suit carrier of shirts, trousers, jackets, etc, occupying the dead space between the seat back and the rear bulkhead. The shorter your girlfriend, the further forward you can move her seat, and the more clothes you can hang behind her seat. If you're as tall as me, the space behind the driver's seat will be minimal, but you'd still be surprised how much you can hang there.
That will leave the entire boot for her shoes, toiletries, and hair equipement, and the glove box for all her underwear :D
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

jodale

Post by jodale » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am

We just returned from our get away trip with the Zed. I was surprized how much we could fit in the trunk (boot ?).
We found it was much easier to pack the bulky items in loose rather than in a bag. The space is pretty deep and we
were able to tuck a lot in around our two bags. We kept the shoes loose and fit them in after everything else.

My recommendation is to pack her bag and your bag in the boot. Then stand back and tell her she can only take what
she can fit. I wouldn't take much in the cabin - she'll fill it up with her purse and what ever anyway.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:44 am

Proof that you can pack a full size bag of clubs, a medium suitcase, battery jumper/air pump, tools, and a toiletry bag.

I agree with using the back of the seats- check this out- for hanging a suit, etc.: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=82&fg=26

For hanging lots of stuff from the seat backs, there is also a version with zippered pockets.

I've been debating buying 2 of these: Image
$25 each at autosportcatalog.com
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 am

Psy wrote:http://www.just-roadsterbags.co.uk/bmw- ... s-i10.html

These guys are expensive, but make bespoke bag sets for roadsters that use up every inch of space in the boot.
There were some on eBay recently...

Si

Can you check out these.. same set same photos I think the cheeky buggers have added £100 I,m sure
http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/BMW-Roadst ... ggage.html

Z8Cookie

Post by Z8Cookie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:56 am

billygilly wrote:
Psy wrote:http://www.just-roadsterbags.co.uk/bmw- ... s-i10.html

Si

Can you check out these.. same set same photos I think the cheeky buggers have added £100 I,m sure
http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/BMW-Roadst ... ggage.html
Yes, look like the same bags but £100 cheaper! Worth it for that me thinks. I wonder if they have allowed for the M Mobility kit in the M version?
08 Z4MR. Ruby Black. AFE. Aero Sills. ACS Strut Brace. Stubby.

roofless

Post by roofless » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:30 pm

I have the 'roadster bags for the e89 and think they're great, made travelling so much easier than before. I haven't seen the difference between a z3 boot and your z4 boot but the bags are designed to 'fit the space'. In the e89 they don't fit if you have the optional hard plastic boot liner as i do, i just take that out when we are travelling (and as i don't need to transport firewood in the z4 now the chances of dirtying up the boot are greatly reduced :-) ), do check before buying!
I find the luggage set means you aren't packing to fit the boot rather than packing for practical access and as the bags are designed to allow for roof down driving, if you drive home with the roof up you can store a hell of a lot above the bags, we brought back 6 half cases of wine and spirits and jars of food after a 16 day trip round Italy and France.
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

StigJ

Post by StigJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:34 pm

I bought a set of the Roadsterbags on ebay for my Coupe. Now Ive just used one of the small ones, but Ive tried all 3 in the boot and they are perfect fit. Still small spaces to use for smaller objects.
The quality on the bags seems quite good too.
Hellrot '06 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Instagram: @StigJ77 & @bmwe86driver

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:41 pm

These are no use for the ///M as they don't allow for the space occupied by the battery.

Also, this http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=82&fg=26 is no use in the ///M due to the one piece'tombstone' seats.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

BigT

Post by BigT » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 am

Having just come back from a three week road trip around Europe, I can't recommend highly enough this:

http://www.boot-bag.com/toppage1.htm

Here's a picture of it in-situ on the Route Napoleon after about 600 miles of the route back:

Adds an extra 50 litres of space, doesn't in any way damage the paint and was stable up to 140mph on the autobahn. As an added bonus it does not impede with the roof opening and closing mechanism on the E85. I got mine two years ago for a trip around the UK and it is still going strong.

Mini Zibb

Post by Mini Zibb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 am

My girlfriend had an idea for our upcoming roadtrip, and that was those vacuum seal bags, i can't say if it would work or not as have yet to try it. Has any tried anything similar?
Posted using HTC Desire HD.

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Just a thought, try going naturist, then you'll only need what you are travelling in :D :D I've done 2 weeks in the south of france with the missus on a bike and now packing the zed for a holiday usually means we have loads of space as we pack like we did on the bike.Just takes some planning. :thumbsup: